View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Send a message via AIM to Juno
Default Re: when was the first time you smoked hookah

It was the Summer of Love, the year of our Lord, nineteen sixty-seven. I had been wandering San Francisco with my assistant, Alex, for months now, documenting the zeitgeist of this "hippie" youth movement.

The pictures were astounding, I still look at them today and wonder what happened to all those young folks who left a comfortable middle-class home for this. Are they the CEOs of today's corporations or have they still kept their cause close to their hearts? Anyways, I digress.

I come across a picture of myself. I stare at it for what seems ages. At first I was not sure if it was me, but I recognized that hookah, it's the one I have in the liquor cabinet. It's old and beat up, you wouldn't think more of it other than it being a brass trinket, but my, does it still conjour up monstrous dragon clouds that fill my room with the sweet scent of jasmine. It brings me back to days when I didn't have to worry about my health so much, when I could be out for days, befriending and documenting the hippies.

I was young again.