Originally Posted by HookahETC
Suggestions are all based on opinions on what that particular forum member has personally tried. Most members here only own 2-3 hookahs and wouldn't know the difference between one hookah or the other. Most people only go by whether it says "MYA" on the box.
Egyptians vs. Syrians. Tough...but personally, I'd go with a Syrian. Most people would say the same thing, but have no reason behind it. Syrians, as Sammi said, are usually solid brass with stainless steel plating. These will last a ton longer than Egyptians, which are usually stainless steel, tin, or aluminum. Another advantage to Syrians, some are able to completely disassemble, making it very easy to clean and put away in storeage or even take with you on trips. Egyptians are usually 1 long brass tube, decorated with 2-6 Stainless steel pieces welded together. They almost never are able to be disassembled. Also, because they are in fact almost always welded together, this leaves the ability for the welds to weaken and eventually fall apart. Syrians like I said are usually solid brass...1 large cast piece, or several smaller pieces that can screw on or off. Either way, the Syrian way is better. Syrians also tend to have thicker glass (the true Syrians) and usually these vases are much nicer and much more decorative. On top of all this, is the comparison of the "heart" of these hookahs.
The heart is where the smoke gets drawn from. The hose port and blow off is connected to the heart. At the bottom of the heart are holes. Holes for air being drawn, and holes for air being blow out. Syrians typically have 2 holes, just as Egyptians, but Nicer Syrians have 4 holes. More holes = more smoke = better sessions = better flavor. It all adds up. The Syrians I carry have 4 holes, and I must admit, they smoke better than any other hookahs I have ever sold/tried.
I hope this helped...
J & R Hookahs
1) I own 4 functional hookahs, 5 if you count an old Eyp that has been retired.
2) Of the hookahs I own: 3 are Syrians - 1 Modern (1 was Eyp)
3) 1 Syrian (2-hose) completely dis-assembles down - has 4 holes on the heart. Really does smoke very well. The other two are soild 1 piece stems, with a brass core pipe, but only 2 heart holes. They are my "main" hookahs.
4) My very first Hookah was a "discount" Eyp style monster - 33" tall. Beat-up, worn out, corrided and ugly. And also heavy, well made stem that lasted me almost 3 years before leaks showed up (as well as a taste that could not be cleaned out).
5) my Small Modern Hookah does hit like a champ (when she behaves) - it was a cheap, chinese knock-off, but also works great.
My next hookah will be a Taller Eyp rig, most possibly a KM.
Everybody will have a different idea of what type of hookah is best: some love Eyp, some Syrians, other MYA's... and so on. The best thing is try and figure out what you are looking for: style, function, portability, ect....
My idea of the perfect hookah may not be anyone else's idea - I know people who LOVE MYA's so much, they won't consider smoking out of anythng else (why - I don't know). Since you already have a MYA, you need to think if you really enjoy it or want to try something different.
A Eyp or Syrain would be good, but another larger MYA may also be your best "friend" as well. Good luck in deiciding!