View Single Post
  #11  
Old June 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
FURsAKeN's Avatar
FURsAKeN
Status: Offline
Hookah Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,087
Default Re: Metal and Your Hookah.

[FONT=Times New Roman]So I have still been digging around for more information on Copper and I decided to goto my local supply and pull up a MSDS (Material Safey Data Sheet) for copper. Here are my findings, and everything I felt important I highlighted. First, section is who made the MSDS for Copper. Yes, Husky I know it is an incomplete MSDS. :P[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Synonyms: C.I. 77400; Arwood Copper [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]CAS No.: 7440-50-8 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Molecular Weight: 63.546 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Chemical Formula: Cu [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Product Codes: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]J.T. Baker: 1714, 1720, 1732, 1736 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Mallinckrodt: 1733, 4649 [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]3. Hazards Identification[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Emergency Overview [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]-------------------------- [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. AFFECTS THE LIVER AND KIDNEYS. ******* EXPOSURE MAY CAUSE TISSUE DAMAGE. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience) [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Life) [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Flammability Rating: 1 - Slight [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Reactivity Rating: 2 - Moderate [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Contact Rating: 1 - Slight [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES & SHIELD; LAB COAT & APRON; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Storage Color Code: Green (General Storage) [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Potential Health Effects [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]---------------------------------- [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Inhalation: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Inhalation of dusts and fumes of metallic copper causes irritation of the upper respiratory tract, congestion of nasal mucous membranes, ulceration and perforation of the nasal septum, and pharyngeal congestion. Inhalation of copper fumes may give rise to metal fume fever (high temperature, metallic taste, nausea, coughing, general weakness, muscle aches, and exhaustion). [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Ingestion: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Copper ingestion causes nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, metallic taste, and diarrhea. Ingestion of large doses may cause stomach and intestine ulceration, jaundice, and kidney and liver damage. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Skin Contact: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain. Exposure to copper dust may cause a greenish-black skin discoloration. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Eye Contact: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Small copper particles in the eyes may cause irritation, discoloration, and damage. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]******* Exposure: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Prolonged or repeated exposure to copper can discolor skin and hair and irritate the skin; may cause mild dermatitis, runny nose, and irritation of the mucous membranes. Repeated ingestion may damage the liver and kidneys. Repeated inhalation can cause ******* respiratory disease. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or impaired liver, kidney, or pulmonary function or pre-existing Wilson's disease may be more susceptible to the effects of this material. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]9. Physical and Chemical Properties[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Appearance: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Reddish, metallic solid. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Odor: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Odorless. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Solubility: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Insoluble in water. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Density: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]8.94 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]pH: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]No information found. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]% Volatiles by volume @ 21C (70F): [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]0 [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Boiling Point: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]2595C (4703F) [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Melting Point: [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]1083C (1981F) [/FONT]


----------------------------------
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial]Now, all know your copper pipe you plan to make or have made will never reach boiling melting point. Unless you replace your coals with a few grams of thermite! But, this is my opinion after reviewing alot of articles in copper and its useages/effects; and remember I am not a doctor or sicentist, just a metal worker. If you plan on making a hookah or pipe of any sort out of copper, advoid direct heat at all cost. I still think if you smoke from it (with no direct heat) there will be very slight to extremely slight transfer of copper from the hookah to your body. If you plan to use direct heat, I still want to see the results after you get done. Given the fact you are not already in the ER.[/FONT][/FONT]
__________________

/root
Reply With Quote