View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hookah Master
Default Re: Brass? Good, Bad, Indifferent

Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
No such thing as a stainless steel hookah. Except the hobohookah that is.

I like brass because of the way it feels. It makes for s sturdy, heavy ornamental stem that Egyptian stems can't rival.

Also, the Syrians at CH have a wide gauge hose port hole, just like in a KM, which allows them to have the exact same pull as a KM, smooth and easy. They purge very well too.

Also, I prefer brass downstems because they last longer than steel ones. Steel ones rust after one single use (if water is trapped in it somewhere) and corrode quicker then brass.

If Stainless Steel hookahs were in fact Stainless Steel, then rusting would never be a problem. But since no steel in hookahs is galvanized, it's not stainless.
not trying to be rude or anything like that but, what the heck?

stainless steel can still rust pretty easily depending on the alloy and what chemicals it is exposed to, galvanized steel and stainless are 2 very different things. stainless resists corrosion because of the alloy elements in it, galvanized is coated and zinc which prevents the corrosion but galvy AFAIK is not food safe and i know if it is heated to much its very bad... plus galvy usually looks really bad.

brass will get a patina on it as apposed to rust out, but normally (depending on location) patinas on brass and coper come about much faster than rust.

but it really comes down to, get what you want, learn how to clean it from here or other hookah sites and then go and learn how to clean and take care of what ever material it is from a metals information source... and when all else fails, wash it well then blow it out with compressed air or co2