View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hookah Newbie
Default Re: Business gone. tobacco prices up 400%

Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Years ago I lived in Maryland in the states briefly and had a small engineering company. What killed it is when the state of Maryland decided to increase the unemployment tax by 1800% (yes that is the right number of zeros) and I was no longer able to afford to hire anyone so I left the state. I suppose that the Australian government has decided to ban tobacco by making it too expense to buy legally. What this will do is make tobacco sales an industry controlled by organized crime.

It still shocks me to see that the Western world has become so enslaved by political correctness. I am so thankful to be in a country that preaches very little about freedom but lets you have more it then one that takes away what they praise.
Very well said Hajo, very well said indeed. I am sure the Australian government's explanation will include something in the form of "We are trying to protect our citizens and especially our children from the dangers of tobacco products", etc. Whatever happened to common sense and letting people decide what is good or bad for them on their own... What is the next step, increase taxes on all of the "unhealthy" foods that the country imports?

I am really sorry for your situation Moezzi, if I were you I wouldn't give up on my plans right away and just ride the storm until things settle down to see how things will actually end...

Last edited by mack65401; May 5th, 2011 at 06:01 AM.