View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: A Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I am glad to hear this story. It's touching to say the least. Your willingness to help (your story implies that you offered without him even asking) shows what people can be capable of on a fairly minor level and that it can make difference. I can't imagine the emotions that you instilled in that mans heart.
Well I don't really think about how what I do effects others I simply try to do what seems like the right thing at the time. I would assume that most people would do as I did given the situation. It's hard to describe but although we haven't seen each other for a lot of years I still feel a very close bond. We went through a whole heap of extremely stressful times together and since we shared stuff that just doesn't happen in peace time nothing can really change between us if that makes any sense. We both are disfigured and have the same feelings of loss and remorse which is something that I can't really describe.

Although lots of crazy, unlikely things have happened to me over the years running into an old comrade the way I did is pretty strange I admit.

I used to go to the Springbok Club functions but I never ran into anyone I knew from the old days at those get togethers. Besides, reflecting on just how bad things have gotten with other dispossessed peoples is not to uplifting to say the least so I quit bothering with that sort of thing.

Still, good fortune is something to be celebrated and doing it with someone that I can share tobacco let alone history with is great.