View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Hookah vs Cigies.

Originally Posted by ronchinoy View Post
While Ive been smoking 30-40 cigies for the past 30 years.
Was under the false impresion that Hookha would help me stop smoking.

Is it just me or do others find it strange that the hookah is advertised as having 0% tar and .5% nicotine.

Then I find comments like the following
"According to Eissenberg, studies suggest that smoke from a single hookah session contains approximately 36 times the tar, 1.7 times the nicotine, and 8.3 times the carbon monoxide as the smoke produced by one cigarette."

Being a chain smoker myself Im not trying to preach to anybody.
But I think most people thinking of taking up the hookaha thinking it is harmless need a wake up call.

I got mine just now.
Outside of the excellent comments about the poor quality of narghile research I would like to add a couple of things about nicotine. Nicotine absorption has a lot to do with smoking methods and if you simply taste rather then inhale smoke far less nicotine will enter your blood stream. I was tested by one of my employers to establish what adjustments need to made to my coverage and co-payments and it was the pronouncement of the testing lab that I am a non-smoker as a result of my cardio-vascular condition, lack of nicotine in my blood stream and lung capacity. I've been smoking almost daily for about 35/36 years now so that I think says something.

I will also point out moassel can't have nicotine concentrations comparible to or higher then ciggarettes do to agglutination process driving off a great deal of the naturally occuring oils and chemically altering the tobacco. If you want to reduce noctine intake i'd suggest removing stems from what you smoke because nicotine concentration is far higher in roots and stems then in the actually leaves. Also, since moassel is not actaully combusted nicotine extraction efficiency is far lower for then it in cigarettes.

Lastly, nicotine is far less adictive then then claimed. Such a conclusion is the only reasonable one to reach if one considered that literally 10s of millions of ex-smokers have kicked the habbit without ever seeking professional help or medications of any kind. The same can't be said about any other substance widely considered to be adictive.