View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Hookah Nut
Default Re: interesting tidbit

Wow that is interesting. Thank you for sharing it! I can't say I am surprised, pork barrels haven't gone the way of the dodo just yet. I do think that it is a little out of sorts though since that center funds research such as:

- Disease Control Priorities Project
- Ecology of Infectious Diseases
- Brain Disorders in the Developing World

The latest grant recipients were:
- Bacterial pathogens and human infectious diseases in an estuary subjected to extreme climatic events (Rachel Noble, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill);
- Virulence trade-offs in a vertebrate virus--infectious haematopoietic necrosis (IHN)--a disease of salmon and trout (Benjamin Kerr, University of Washington);
- Agricultural antibiotics and human health, using a multi-scale ecological approach to the development and spread of antibiotic resistance (Joseph Eisenberg, University of Michigan);
- Eco-epidemiology of West Nile virus emergence in urban areas (Tony Goldberg, University of Wisconsin at Madison);
- Environmental determinants favorable for the presence and transmission of vibrios, bacteria typically found in saltwater and important human pathogens (Crystal Johnson, University of Southern Mississippi);
- "Immune landscapes" of human influenza in households, towns and cities of southern China (Derek Cummings, Johns Hopkins University);
- Ecology, emergence and pandemic potential of Nipah virus, a virus harbored in fruit bats, in Bangladesh (Peter Daszak, Consortium for Conservation Medicine at Wildlife Trust);
- Ecology of anaplasmosis, a tick-borne disease in cattle, and the relationship of disease reservoirs, risk and incidence (Felicia Keesing, Bard College).

But yeah forget all that, hookahs seem trivial enough to the mass media to ridicule.