View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:32 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default Re: Cultural question for my Egyptian friends.

I'm not Egyptian and I am not an expert on much of anything but I have spent a great deal of time in Arabic countries and Iran and know a bit about the cultural side of narghiles so I think I can answer this. First of all narghiles are not in anyway Islamic and as a matter of fact most Islamic religious authorities condemn all forms of tobacco consumption. I will also point out that narghile use may have started on the Indian subcontient and it's wildly popular in India today inspite of government efforts to stamp it out.

As to Christians a visit to Armenia or any of the Christian enclaves in near by nations will alert one to the fact that smoking tombac from a narghile is quite common. I would think that the position of your Egyptian friend is a result of the current religious strife afflicting Egypt rathr then some concern based in Christian Orthodox or Coptic doctrine. The Egyptian Christians I have known don't associate narghile use with religion which is sensible because it is not a religious ritual. Lastly, I am not aware of any doctrinal declaration from any Christian church leader on the subjcet of narghile use so for a Christian to be religiously offended by you smoking one seems irrational.

Bottom line, I doubt your neighbors have any reaon to be offended by you smoking on your porch but if they are they are the ones being unreasonable.

Last edited by Hajo Flettner; October 21st, 2008 at 01:38 PM.