View Single Post
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Hookah Master
Default Re: cutting a "heart" into a "common chamber"?

Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
After reading this thread a bit of clarification is needed I think.
Basically you have 3 styles of narghiles:

1) Ported. This style has 2 set of piping that directs the smoke from the base into either the hose or the purge outlet. The typical Egyptian and Turkish rigs usually uses this style.
2) Chamberless. This style is an open space in which the smoke is not enclosed in a separate chamber or directed via piping. The typical Chinese rig uses this style.
3) Common chamber. A metal plate separates a a portion of the smoke from the plate which is fed by 2-6 inlet holes but uses not tubing to direct the smoke. Typically used in Syrian and Indian rigs.

I would maintain that the common chamber gives a great draw, higher density and a better smoking experience although that is a matter of preference.

Cleaning a common chamber is not a problem if you invest a few bucks for a decent line brush which i've posted about a few times in the past. A thick paste of baking soda a lemon juice works wonders in cleaning any rig.
ok, that makes sense

so if the plate would be cut off you should be able to get similar results (in theory) to a traditional since it is open to the bottom and the air flow can clear it out