Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > General Yada-Yada

General Yada-Yada For discussion not related to hookah specifically ...

Your opinion on CFLs?

General Yada-Yada

Reply Share

Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Lightbulb Your opinion on CFLs?

I was trying to think of an incredibly uninteresting and out of place subject to come up with, and here it is. I'm not talking about the Canadian Football League, but compact fluorescent lamps. They're all the rage right now and so is energy conservation.

CFLs use only one third of the energy required by typical incandescent light bulbs. They are marketed as environment-friendly lamps and the governement will give you a refund on your taxes if you equip your house with this type of lamp.

However, as with all fluorescent lamps, CFLs contain mercury. Only 3% of all CFLs are recycled because installations to properly dispose of them are not implemented in most areas of the world. As a result, in the US only, 104 tons of mercury are rejected into the environment each year.

So what's your opinion on them? Are they a viable solution to the energy crisis?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Your opinion on CFLs?

Honestly didn't know about the mercury in them. Just knew there was some gaseous crap in there...obviously.

Learn something everyday, thanks!

As to my opinion, I would have to research further to develop one.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:19 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

I use them in all of my fish tanks!

Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

I use them in 90% of our lights. As to adding Mercury to the landfills, it's not as big a deal as it sounds. When you live in coal country (as I do) the power plants all burn coal, so Mercury is in the air all day everyday. (Twitch, shake)
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

I have made the switch.

Pros: Much lower electric costs

Cons: Sometimes burn out early... especially if used in a table lamp that gets bumped.
The mercury content is a worrisome. A broken CFL in a 10'x10' room will raise the mercury content to 10 times that of the recognized "safe level". CFL tend to have a delay when turned on.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Are you kidding? That's the only way for me to stay mad as a hatter. I go through a six pack a day.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

I use them pretty much all over my lounge and they do def save money... for example I have 20 spot lights in my place... all used a 50w par 20 bulb so 20 x 50 = 1000w x on for an average of 12 hours a day... now I use 13 watt bulbs... 20x13 =260w... lol u tell me that isnt worth breathing in some mercury. lol
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
cherno83
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to cherno83

I think I need to go get some more CFL lights =]

I only have a few around the house so majority is regular light...also my computer is eating up the electric bill XP
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

lol why not just use a ton of LED's? i dont think there are any health risks about them... and they dont use much electricity... maybe they would if you used them in massive bulk ((such as in the case of wonderland))
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

LED's would be awesome but the investment would be extreme. They cost way more than CFL and super more than reg bulbs... I try to be as economical as I can lol and until the govt (knock on wood) tells me I cant use the CFL because of a mercury hazard I will continue to use them...
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:01 PM
skatefree2k
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to skatefree2k

i wish LEDs were more main stream and had better light projection. i was told be an electrical engineer that halogens are the most efficient in terms of light output per watt, but they dont make halogens lower then 40 watts.

anyone hear about the OLEDs? there like paper thin put out a good amount of light and use next to nothing for electricity. there amazing. they could be made into a clear sheet like a window and at the same time could be turned on and display images.

just think about it, windows with instant shades, cars that could have tinted windows with the flick of a switch. also tv's that are paper thin. not to mention that there also bendable.
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatefree2k View Post
anyone hear about the OLEDs? there like paper thin put out a good amount of light and use next to nothing for electricity. there amazing. they could be made into a clear sheet like a window and at the same time could be turned on and display images.

just think about it, windows with instant shades, cars that could have tinted windows with the flick of a switch. also tv's that are paper thin. not to mention that there also bendable.
OLEDs are extremely expensive to produce as of now. Their primary purpose is to be used as screens in electronics. They don't produce enough light to be used as lamps.

They can be integrated into plastic sheets but unfortunately cannot be made transparent because the engineers have to integrate the electrical circuits inside of them so the organic cells receive current (otherwise they don't light up). I've seen demonstrations of OLED TVs and they look incredible. It's like looking into a window to another world...

OLEDs have incredible potential for electronics but not for use as lamps.
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:10 AM
skatefree2k
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to skatefree2k

off topic: yes
OLED

in cars:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5166106/oled-wi...-middle-finger

lamps:
http://i.gizmodo.com/376929/worlds-first-oled-lamp

Ditruction:
http://i.gizmodo.com/329234/exclusiv...ammer-pounding

windows:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5070815/translu...nto-crappy-tvs

http://i.gizmodo.com/151145/transparent-oled-on-the-way

5-10 years there going to be everywhere
Old March 8th, 2009, 05:03 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

how neat... damn lol
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Cool I didn't know about translucent OLED screens. As for using them as lamps they still don't produce enough light by themselves. That's one of the main concerns about OLED TVs, they are rather dim compared to current LCDs.
Old March 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
HuMMuS
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to HuMMuS

wow cool. i know lots about this! in fact i better. i work at a lighting company so im full of useful information. CFL do contain mercury. its not much but there is some. and to put it in aspect. tuna fish also has mercury and you eat that. sure you shouldnt throw it in the trash and forget about it. but we know people will. really it comes down to how the earth really takes care of it. mercury is a natrual element it falls in the periodic table. so if its on earth by itself without us making it. is it really bad for the earth? im not saying go eat it, but if it comes from the earth natrual it can end up there!
were in the process of making them have less and less mercury. 70% less! so things are moving in the right direction.
now for the fun part. LEDs! thats is something i want to see more of. right now there not as bright as we like them to be so they are limited in aplication. but we have a few bulbs that i personally have that are not on the market. there pretty neat. but some people just would not like it. i mean color isnt natural looking. they have a blue tint in them. or they dont light enough. still very cool.
lets just say that things are moving forward, cfl or led its still better then a modern light that drains 60w for no reason. its like the difference between a CRT or LCD. at first LCD were total shit. now there better then CRTs.
with things like dimmable and 3 stags cfl being on the market theres more application for them.
ill post some pics tomorrow of some new things. you guys might like
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook