Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

What the heck is wrong with my shisha?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 1st, 2017, 09:48 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Default What the heck is wrong with my shisha?

I was recently in Turkey and I passed by Shisha bar & the Shisha smell/taste is so very mild that I was not sure if it was a real hookah or not. I even had a smoke without my clothes linger the smell itself and the smoke was so very clear and light and so big too, it was a real pleasure; a cooling experience.

I have had this issue in the past and have tried three brands: ALAJMI, YA LEIL & AL FAKHAMA, they always smell/taste too strong. I cannot even touch two apples anymore because the smell overwhelm me (I used to love two apples).

I asked Shisha bars where I live and they say that strong flavor is favorable for customers but one Shisha bar said their customer prefer milder flavor, therefore they use: Ya Leil Brands from Layalina

Not sure if that is true or not but their Shisha indeed tasted milder. Although I would like to go as mild as I tried in Turkey. That was just ideal.

Anyway ...

I am not sure what the heck is wrong with my Shisha skills?

I want some tips to make the taste milder, less strong!

I leave my shisha packs in room temperature (35 c) or so - I never store it in fridge in hope it will lose its taste/moisture if I leave it in a rather hotter place. I have a pack I bought 3 years ago and just now it start to taste milder.

I'm not saying I want a cooler smoke (I can add ice) but a milder taste (even ice does not kill this flavor). Should I switch to Al Fakher?

Last edited by freedomnow2015; November 1st, 2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 03:40 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns
Default Re: What the heck is wrong with my shisha?

Im at a loss. Ive never had anybody ask me how to get LESS flavor from their tobacco before. If ice didnt achieve your desired result, the only other thing that comes to mind would be to try a hose with a smaller guage. The restriction may help.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM
stabbins
Hookah Enthusiast

yep....
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:51 PM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
Im at a loss. Ive never had anybody ask me how to get LESS flavor from their tobacco before. If ice didnt achieve your desired result, the only other thing that comes to mind would be to try a hose with a smaller guage. The restriction may help.
Hi man,

Isn't hookah all about a pleasurable experience?

You're not the first to say that, same comment from hookah bars but I hate sweet flavors and it makes me sick (my taste buds prefer sour, bitter, salty) (reason I was happy with Persian Galyan since it restrict the pull like a smaller gauage hookah but I won't go back to it in million years, it is high maintenance). I switch to my small-to-medium sized glass hookah which has a smaller gauge which enhanced my smoking experience (I can smoke anything without any trouble) but I also miss my medium hookah experience , that nice 15-20 grams head at once, I want a solution to enjoy too.

Sometimes I dry my tobacco from the juices but that makes it burn faster too.

I swear I have seen it overthere, a large hookah probably 50" or so, it smoke less flavor than my set up and most hookah bars set up. I highly double it is a small gauage hose but the taste was milder than usual. Not sure how they did it, they said it is the pack method, I've tried most of them, still get the same strong flavor, they were using only two coals, no wind cover at all, and making huge clouds! That must be just one skilled hookah man.
What flavors would you say are less "sweet" flavored? I haunted for black licorice but it is always out of stock. I think I bought some pineapple, banana, lemon, strawberry, melon, peach, grape, melon mint etc.

Last edited by freedomnow2015; November 3rd, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 02:17 AM
mattyuk
Hookah Aficionado

try

soft black
mastic
absinthe
cardamon
rose
sour
Kashmir
grapefruit

none of the above i would class as sweet or candy.
Old November 4th, 2017, 09:51 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Id add zaghloul and Khan to Matty’s list of recommendations

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:26 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Thanks
Old November 5th, 2017, 01:52 PM
s3n0
Hookah Newbie

A strong flavor will also appear on the type of bowl.

The hot air that passes through the classic bowl with holes at the bottom, conveys the flavor of the entire tobacco content. Much of the flavor is absorbed by the air from tobacco during each pipe sweep.

Funel bowl unfortunately does not give that much flavor. Usually only on the surface of the tobacco is always hot. Deep in the tobacco is unfortunately constantly lower temperature. Also, the hot air does not pass over completely the entire tobacco in the phunnel bowl when pulling from the pipe. In this case, the flow of hot air does not attract the amount of flavor.

So the problem of too strong aroma can also be in the type of bowl used. Today, by coincidence, I just tested this fact .
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:22 AM
mattyuk
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n0 View Post

The hot air that passes through the classic bowl with holes at the bottom, conveys the flavor of the entire tobacco content. Much of the flavor is absorbed by the air from tobacco during each pipe sweep.

Funel bowl unfortunately does not give that much flavor. Usually only on the surface of the tobacco is always hot. Deep in the tobacco is unfortunately constantly lower temperature. Also, the hot air does not pass over completely the entire tobacco in the phunnel bowl when pulling from the pipe. In this case, the flow of hot air does not attract the amount of flavor.

So the problem of too strong aroma can also be in the type of bowl used. Today, by coincidence, I just tested this fact .
what are talking about? really?
your aim is to heat the bowl not burn the tobacco a good bowl is determined by its material of manufacture.

it makes no difference to the taste of your smoke,i use a funnel for wet tobacco as the juice wont run down my stem and an Egyptian for most other tobacco there is zero difference the taste of my sessions.

only when using a med or large Tangiers bowl will i have a portion of uncooked tobacco and that is more to do with the bowls taking a huge amount of tobacco and me choosing not to smoke for 3 plus hours.

when a bowl is smoked correctly you will be left with a black puck of burnt tobacco.

no difference at all in taste, sorry.
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:14 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyuk View Post
what are talking about? really?
your aim is to heat the bowl not burn the tobacco a good bowl is determined by its material of manufacture.

it makes no difference to the taste of your smoke,i use a funnel for wet tobacco as the juice wont run down my stem and an Egyptian for most other tobacco there is zero difference the taste of my sessions.

only when using a med or large Tangiers bowl will i have a portion of uncooked tobacco and that is more to do with the bowls taking a huge amount of tobacco and me choosing not to smoke for 3 plus hours.

when a bowl is smoked correctly you will be left with a black puck of burnt tobacco.

no difference at all in taste, sorry.
^^^^^
Yep.... i was waiting for someone else to chime in after the tirade following our last exchange.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:24 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Add a couple of drops of vanilla essense in your tobacco before mixing it and placing it in your bowl. I did this a few months ago for a friend who nearly fainted last time. It reduced the taste slightly but not the buzz!
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:22 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n0 View Post

I only use phunnel bowls unless I am on the art hookah - I love them because its easier to make the bowl but recently I bought a vortex and Egyptian, I do not know if it was the vortex (most likely), that made upset because since then I haven't smoked. Egyptian was not bad but Phunnel is definitely my favorite.

I get too sick when the flavor is strong and want to just vomit or have acidity issue (sorry for TMI that but it is huge for me, I drink adequate water and eat before smoke).

Last edited by freedomnow2015; November 12th, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:28 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonShishaPro View Post
Add a couple of drops of vanilla essense in your tobacco before mixing it and placing it in your bowl. I did this a few months ago for a friend who nearly fainted last time. It reduced the taste slightly but not the buzz!
What if I dislike vanilla taste ?
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:45 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Yesterday, I removed the hose grommet to loose the gauge & slightly dried my shisha from juices.
My set up was Egyptian clay with a dense pack, Peach flavor, slightly fluffy, double foils, three coals, little ice on the base
To get a smaller pull when I smoke but I ended up being sick again without buzz.
Today I did go back to regular set up, stick to ice & try two apples on a Phunnel (from my two years old tobacco stock).
I am seriously deprived from nicotine (haven't smoked in 5 months) haha It worked but I still need to find ways to enjoy my new stock.
I know Al Ajamy tobacco flavor is slightly less than rest.

Last edited by freedomnow2015; November 13th, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Melvin
Hookah Master

I'm all about a strong, deep, rich flavor. If that isn't your cup of tea I respect that. Good luck
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:57 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

all about getting that nicotine, nicotine, nicotine!
I use three coal mainly to also kill the flavor.

Last edited by freedomnow2015; November 17th, 2017 at 03:05 AM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook