Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Rust in MZ?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:40 AM
absence
Hookah Newbie

Default Rust in MZ?

About a year or so ago I bought an MZ from one of the few reputable sites (hookah-shisha or thehookah, I don't remember.) We use/wash it pretty regularly. I was cleaning it the other day and I noticed some orange stuff coming out of the chamber as I ran water through it. I dismissed it as syrup that dripped down. As I was cleaning it out again today the same thing happened, and when I actually thought about it, there's no way the syrup could have reached the chamber (duh). My biggest concern is, despite how often MZs are praised, how often is it that something like this would happen? Should I cut my losses and get a new hookah? Or is there a workaround? I've been wanting to get a nice KM so this might justify doing so.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:05 AM
hookah4u
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Rust in MZ?

im not sire. I have a cheap chinese rig myself and it could be prone to rusting. Ive been told by other experience smokers that an all brass hookah is a good idea as it cannot rust. Im thinking about getting one soon
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Since MZ's are made of stainless steel, you shouldn't be seeing any rust. Try looking down the downstem to see where it's coming from.
When you say you clean it, do you just rinse it out or do you give it a good scrub with a brush?

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:19 AM
absence
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Since MZ's are made of stainless steel, you shouldn't be seeing any rust. Try looking down the downstem to see where it's coming from.
When you say you clean it, do you just rinse it out or do you give it a good scrub with a brush?
It's actually not in the downstem, but the chamber "hub" I guess, where the valve and hose port are connected to. I can't really see inside it. The fact that I'm getting a pretty constant flow of this orange mystery substance tells me it's rust, but you are right about it being stainless so I'm stumped. I can't really fit a brush in there either, I'm just using soap and water.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:25 AM
absence
Hookah Newbie

Forgot to mention I'm also getting small black particles.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:39 AM
uglybiker

That is what is usually referred to as the heart, where everything comes together. Since it's all spun metal, the heart on MZs, lke most egyptian hookahs, is hollow. If the hose and purge ports aren't sealed properly to the top of the chamber, smoke and whatnot can get inside the heart and build up over time.

I really doubt it's rust. If it's not causing odors, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:58 AM
absence
Hookah Newbie

I just took a closer look at it and it is without a doubt rust. It only happens when I run water through the dump, or exit valve (not sure what they call it outside of the car world.) It actually does smell like rust. Funny thing is, when I have the stem completely dried out I can hear water splashing around inside. I have a feeling there is a small intrusion between that exit valve chamber and the outside layer of the stem which is served as a design. My guess is since that inside section doesn't have stainless coating, over time it inevitably rusted. To be honest I was expecting better out of MZ but oh well.
Old November 15th, 2012, 02:06 AM
uglybiker

It's not a stainless coating, it's all stainless steel. And it's called a purge valve. Do you just rinse the purge valve or do you take it apart and run a brush through it?

Old November 15th, 2012, 02:11 AM
absence
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
It's not a stainless coating, it's all stainless steel. And it's called a purge valve. Do you just rinse the purge valve or do you take it apart and run a brush through it?
Before today I only rinsed it out, but I just found the small brushes that came with the hookah and used those. What do you mean by take it apart? The stem on this hookah is one piece.
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:26 AM
uglybiker

The purge valve. The top unscrews and there is a ball bearing inside.

Old November 15th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hilly
Hookah Master

Quote:
There's also a good chance that it could be your ball bearing and the housing that its in. It gunks up over time and since the bearing is just steel it rusts. If you don't clean it regularly it gets nasty and could be the source of your problems. Unscrew the cap that is opposite of the hose port and scrub that area out the best you can and give it a rinse untill the water runs clear. Afterwards sit the stem upright on a towel (or leaning against something since its hard to sit them upright). After it is dry give the stem another rinse and see if that solved your problem.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

you might want to try letting you stem sit in uncooked rice for awhile, if youre hearing water trapped in it. The rice should suck away the water.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
michaelsteele
Hookah Guru

I suspect about 95% of HP smokers haven't done a good job cleaning their closed chambers....I know I never did until about a month ago. Out of sight, out of mind. It's easy to clean your vase and pipe after use, but really difficult to effectively clean the 'heart' of a closed chamber (traditional) hookah. Besides the brush in the purge valve routine, try some baking soda and lemon juice in the chamber, shaking vigorously, followed by extensive flushing, and drying technique suggested above. Never heard of MZ, KM, Elmas, Farida, Nour, Namoor, El Nefes and other big name brands rusting, but it's a trademark for non-Mya Saray chinese hookahs. It's not rust, it's unattended crap.....
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
absence
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliard View Post
There's also a good chance that it could be your ball bearing and the housing that its in. It gunks up over time and since the bearing is just steel it rusts. If you don't clean it regularly it gets nasty and could be the source of your problems. Unscrew the cap that is opposite of the hose port and scrub that area out the best you can and give it a rinse untill the water runs clear. Afterwards sit the stem upright on a towel (or leaning against something since its hard to sit them upright). After it is dry give the stem another rinse and see if that solved your problem.
I always take the purge valve apart when cleaning. This is the valve I was referring to which was dripping orange stuff when I run water through it.

It's not the ball either. But I'll try baking soda and see what happens.
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM
tevas
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsteele View Post
I suspect about 95% of HP smokers haven't done a good job cleaning their closed chambers....I know I never did until about a month ago. Out of sight, out of mind. It's easy to clean your vase and pipe after use, but really difficult to effectively clean the 'heart' of a closed chamber (traditional) hookah. Besides the brush in the purge valve routine, try some baking soda and lemon juice in the chamber, shaking vigorously, followed by extensive flushing, and drying technique suggested above. Never heard of MZ, KM, Elmas, Farida, Nour, Namoor, El Nefes and other big name brands rusting, but it's a trademark for non-Mya Saray chinese hookahs. It's not rust, it's unattended crap.....
I put about 1 cup of baking soda in the vase, put the hookah together, use a funnel and run vinigar down the stem. The reaction flushes out the hose port, purge valve, and all the way back up the stem. Rinse, scrub, and dry.
Old November 16th, 2012, 03:29 AM
absence
Hookah Newbie

Well tried the baking soda + vinegar as posted above. Rinsed with water, dried with a hairdryer. Still hear a bit of water inside but not as much as yesterday. Just gonna let it sit for a few days and see what happens.

I'm certain it's rust, looks and smells like it. There's really nothing else it could possibly be.
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Dubsteppa
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesies View Post
you might want to try letting you stem sit in uncooked rice for awhile, if youre hearing water trapped in it. The rice should suck away the water.
^this
ive had my MZ for a little over a year. and its still in great shape.
daily user too
Old November 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
mustangii
Hookah Pro

Stainless steel will rust, it just takes a longer time to do it. It still contains iron and will still produce iron oxide given enough time or abuse. It depends on how much chromium is present. The chromium reacts with the oxygen in the air and creates chromium oxide that protects the iron molecules and prevents the rust. the higher the amount of chromium up to 11% the more corrosion resistant the stainless steel will be. The heart has less access to oxygen so there is a higher chance of rusting in the heart than on the exterior of the hookah. I have 2 MZ hookahs and 2 KM hookahs all 4 are stainless. the 2 KM's are old amers that show some slight corrosion on the surface of stem at the 2nd bulge.

they are the 2nd and 3rd from the left in the picture. You can't see it unless you look real close.

edm

ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech.
Master Certified Chrysler Tech.

Last edited by mustangii; November 25th, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Alby
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangii View Post
Stainless steel will rust, it just takes a longer time to do it. It still contains iron and will still produce iron oxide given enough time or abuse. It depends on how much chromium is present. The chromium reacts with the oxygen in the air and creates chromium oxide that protects the iron molecules and prevents the rust. the higher the amount of chromium up to 11% the more corrosion resistant the stainless steel will be. The heart has less access to oxygen so there is a higher chance of rusting in the heart than on the exterior of the hookah. I have 2 MZ hookahs and 2 KM hookahs all 4 are stainless. the 2 KM's are old amers that show some slight corrosion on the surface of stem at the 2nd bulge.

they are the 2nd and 3rd from the left in the picture. You can't see it unless you look real close.

edm
Mustangii, I love reading your posts because you actually know what you're talking about.
Just thanking your for your quality posts here.
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:26 PM
mustangii
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChillHookah View Post
Mustangii, I love reading your posts because you actually know what you're talking about.
Just thanking your for your quality posts here.
It's from being very well read. When I was younger I read everything that I could get my hands on. My wife won't play trival pursuit with me anymore unless we are playing teams with other couples and she is on my team. Knowledge is power. lol.
edm

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:45 AM
Smoke cloud
Hookah Nut

Mustang, in your picture, what hookah is that on the far left? We have those exact stems at the lounge.

Sent using the flux capacitor
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM
mustangii
Hookah Pro

I don't know the brand, I got it from...
http://www.cheap-discounted-hookahs.com/our_hookahs
Thru their ebay store.

edm

Old November 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Smoke cloud
Hookah Nut

Ahh, that makes sense, that's our old wholesaler. They didn't even know a brand, just that they were Egyptian

Sent using the flux capacitor
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook