Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

First Nak Zag Experience

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM
ashbroom
Hookah Nut

Default First Nak Zag Experience

So, I packed up some Nak Zag that I recieved in the mail recently. I sprinkled it in to the top of the mod bowl and then gently packed it down to the bottom of the black ring. I covered it with a layer of regular foil, shiny side down, and poked about 5-6 rings of holes about a quarter inch apart (I just fill it in where it looks like it needs holes) with a picture hanging nail. I lit two 3K QLs (I know! QLs), put them atop the bowl, and waited about 5 minutes. After a couple minutes, it was evident that it needed a third, I read that I may need more heat then I would with other tobaccos; so, I lit the third. It still didn't seem to want to smoke. I wasn't expecting KLOWDZ, but I thought there would be a little more smoke than there was. I also didn't get any buzz whatsoever, which I really expected. There was a little flavor, for a few minutes, but otherwise it was really very flavorless. After about a half hour, the first two coals were burnt down to about 30% or so, and the third was at about 50%, so I lit a fourth coal and set it up there with the others, and still nothing... I have to think I did something wrong, and I think it was simply not enough heat, but there isn't enough room for more coals on that bowl. Is there something else I did wrong? I would like to be able to smoke it correctly so that I can get a good opinion of the stuff...
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

Default Re: First Nak Zag Experience

I dont have any experience with zag yet, but most likely you should switch to an egyptian bowl, mods really just heat awfully, as soon as i stopped using my mod bowl my sessions went from meh to wonderful.
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:33 AM
hookah4u
Hookah Pro

you may of had an overly dry batch. Dont give up on zag, once its smoking properly its amazing. I would try a lot more holes but much smaller holes. just an even spread on top of the bowl, you dont have to go all the way to the edge. Use something small like a tack. Try getting your coals to cover nearly all of the holes. this will keep the heat in the bowl. let me know how this works. You may want to try natural coals, the supposedly burn hotter; i dont think it is absolutely necessary to get the zag smoking though
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:11 AM
ashbroom
Hookah Nut

It did seem really dry but still sticky. I certainly won't give up on it after one time. Even after a few times, I would still try another sample box and another brand. My egyptian bowl is small... I didn't realize how small it was going to be when I bought it... I will give it a shot though, and just keep it at the 2 coals or a coal and a half. I will also try out that hole pattern. I used to poke my holes that way, but I knelt on the tack one time and that was the end of that, I switched to a small nail. Even when I step on it, it lays flat... I doubt the temp difference between the natural coals and the QLs is enough to make a difference, we will all find out soon enough though. (shouldn't that sound like enuff thuff, or eno tho.... stupid english language)
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
hookah4u
Hookah Pro

also dont be afraid to pack it to the pack it to the top or overpack it a bit, its hard to burn
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Meatless
Hookah Aficionado

Yeah, I usually sort of overpack it over the rim, put the foil over it, and flatten it down. It's definitely touching the foil. I don't fret too much about hole patterns, just use a toothpick, or whatever, and jam some holes in the foil. I do usually poke all the way down to the bottom of the bowl.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
michaelsteele
Hookah Guru

You can't burn Zag....unless you use about 10 coals. As noted, overpack, and break it up into fine pieces (to the extent this is possible!). Holes to bottom of bowl...Egyptian bowl. POUR ON THE HEAT! I usually start with 4 coals, then back down to 3 coals. Don't expect much smoke, even with 4 coals, unless you have really fresh Zag (does it exist?), but wonderful flavor when you get the heat thing right. Don't give up!
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
ashbroom
Hookah Nut

Is there any reason I shouldn't take the stuff from last night and put it in my egy bowl and reuse it? As long as it isnt crusty, it should be fine right? Or should I just start fresh? I hate to toss tobacco that is still good...
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM
michaelsteele
Hookah Guru

No reason you can't. You know Zag is finished when it looks like dried lava..... The first time I ever smoked Zag I used a vortex bowl, and saved the 'Zag ring' as a souvenir!
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:27 PM
ashbroom
Hookah Nut

LOL that's awesome. I was thinking about packing it in my small funnel, but I read that it should be packed fluffy in a regular bowl. I think I'm still going to stick to the egy bowl, since that's what you guys are suggesting. Hopefully I will have time tonight (damn dog and her damn obedience classes...) to try again. Thanks for the tips and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
ashbroom
Hookah Nut

OK. I know this was over a week ago, but... I repacked the Zag from the night before in a very small egy bowl. I covered the top with a whole and two halves (33mm 3K QLs) which completely covered the foil. It smoked ok for about 10-15 minutes, I liked the flavor, it was very similar to pipe tobacco. At that point, the halves were starting to get small and the bowl wasn't hot enough (no smoke or flavor coming through), so I added another coal along with the two small halves and 3/4 whole coal. it immediately started to burn and it tasted like cigs. I gave it about 4 minutes to cool down a little and put the coals back on and it still tasted like cigs... At that point, I set it aside, pack a small funnel with AF Orange and finished the night off with that. Haven't smoked it since. What the eff did I do wrong? I mean it wasn't smoking, and then it was burning and it didnt stop... I liked the flavor, but if that's how the night is gonna end, I need to try some other brand or something.....
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:53 PM
chrisbru
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbroom View Post
OK. I know this was over a week ago, but... I repacked the Zag from the night before in a very small egy bowl. I covered the top with a whole and two halves (33mm 3K QLs) which completely covered the foil. It smoked ok for about 10-15 minutes, I liked the flavor, it was very similar to pipe tobacco. At that point, the halves were starting to get small and the bowl wasn't hot enough (no smoke or flavor coming through), so I added another coal along with the two small halves and 3/4 whole coal. it immediately started to burn and it tasted like cigs. I gave it about 4 minutes to cool down a little and put the coals back on and it still tasted like cigs... At that point, I set it aside, pack a small funnel with AF Orange and finished the night off with that. Haven't smoked it since. What the eff did I do wrong? I mean it wasn't smoking, and then it was burning and it didnt stop... I liked the flavor, but if that's how the night is gonna end, I need to try some other brand or something.....

I can't help you smoke zag with QLs, that's blasphemy.
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM
ashbroom
Hookah Nut

It's temporary, I swear! I am switching to real coals after my last three boxes of QLs run out! Maybe I'm down to two..... I can't remember... I just emptied a box yesterday.....
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
funkman262
Hookah Nut

I don't think many people smoke nakhla out of the crown micro but I do since I hate the restriction in an egy (especially with the overpack method). What I do is fluff pack it to the rim, gently pat it down to the spire, sprinkle a donut-shaped mound over the bowl, clear the phunnel hole, then just push the foil over the bowl tight (it won't be as flat as when packing under the rim). I make 4 rings of holes pushing down to the bottom of the bowl, then 3 coals. Windcover on 5-10 minutes before taking first hit. I do the same thing with every nakhla flavor including zag and get awesome results.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook