Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Modified Tangiers Phunnel Bowl

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

Default Modified Tangiers Phunnel Bowl

So last night I was trying out my new sexy hookah and i decided it was a perfect time to use my new wide gauge hose, and phunnel bowl. Well on the first hit it was damn near impossible to get a hit the pull was so hard the hose sucked air back in after I stopped inhaling. I notice that the foil was getting pulled down by the vacuum that was being created. I checked the water level and re wrapped the bowl with foil and made it as tight as I can but still didn't work with out me holding the foil down and taking a hit. So I modified my bowl and now it hits wonderfully. Here is a few pictures of what I did. And I know I'm probably going to be told "heating glue is bad for you" well its not glue its not toxic rubber cement that I used. Over all its like a hybrid between a vortex and phunnel. Once I get my hands on a drimmel I'm going to cut out groves into the top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20110203_222214.jpg   IMG_20110203_222225.jpg  
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Modified Tangiers Phunnel Bowl

I was thinking about doing this as well, but making it span the entire bowl to keep the coals off the tobacco as well as keeping the foil out of the spire. It was just a thought i had.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

yea that would be a good idea. I used staples for my mod but im sure you can get some really small chicken wire or use paper clips. I am going to cut out groves in the top of the spire like a castel wall /\/\/\/\ but more of a square pattern
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
elmo
Hookah Newbie

Can you post a link to the "wide gauge hose" you are referring too please?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
carto0n
Hookah Enthusiast

what you did is similar to the "scalli mod" You take either a bobby pin or one of those black paper clamps and use just the metal part and it inserts into the hole and grabs onto the side to prevent it from being sucked in. Works wonderfully on bowls that dont have enough space between the spire and rim......or if you cant seem to get the foil tight enough. I found that using one layer of HD foil virtually eliminates the need for such a mod.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

you could have tried the reverse hole? or you could have poked a hole over center to keep suction, or you could have taken the paper clamps the black plastic ones with the metal grips and then taken the metal out and put it in there upside down the rubber cement is not necessary.

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Setup, KM Green Pear 36", Small Tangier's Phunnel, KM Rainbow and Nammor Hoses
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:40 PM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

I use HD lol my hookah has a ridiculous smooth pull. The hose is a name that cannot be said on this site due to the vendor being banned (I bought it before I joined). But I wish I could post a video review for you guys.

Ajs I tried the reverse hole and got no smoke lol
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carto0n View Post
or one of those black paper clamps and use just the metal part and it inserts into the hole and grabs onto the side to prevent it from being sucked in.
That's what I use when I have non hd foil on hand.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGram View Post
That's what I use when I have non hd foil on hand.

i want a phunnel real bad i want to build my bowl collection, who has the best price on an tangiers phunnel or are crown phunnels as good as the tangiers?

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
carto0n
Hookah Enthusiast

all phunnels are the same....they all serve the same purpose and all do the job. When it comes down to differences the only ones are build quality and preference.

The tangiers phunnels are the original and of great quality. Erics vendor does a bang up job making them and they are available in a wide variety of sizes. When it comes to choosing one that works for you it is all based on how many people you smoke with and how much. The smalls are more than enough for one person and the Med is great for a group of 2-5 people. The large is just ridiculous and serves no real purpose unless you plan to marathon smoke as it will smoke for 8-12 hours usually if managed correctly.

The chinese phunnels work just fine but the quality of them is shit and they usually require some modification to get to work properly. I had picked one up locally to try out and to get it to work correctly I needed to wrap some damp paper towels around my stem before i put the bowl on to get it to sit and seal properly.

There is the crown micro phunnel which is fantastic for solo sessions and the quality is great.

Then there is the "other" brand of phunnels which despite his rep on here as a vendor, are great products.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
Scootertaj
Hookah Guru

Or you could just poke a hole in the middle of the foil.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
biloxi123
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootertaj View Post
Or you could just poke a hole in the middle of the foil.
This is what I've started doing and it never fails.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs425 View Post
i want a phunnel real bad i want to build my bowl collection, who has the best price on an tangiers phunnel or are crown phunnels as good as the tangiers?
Hookahcompany are the cheapest for tangs, both that and crown are great bowls, though I'd get a crown (micro) for the sole purpose of using less tobacco, especially with tangiers.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

Hookahcompany sells small tangiers mine is a medium and it works perfectly. But the small is probably what you'd like I smoke a lot at once so the medium is perfect
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:30 AM
The_boo
Hookah Enthusiast

spanky, the narbish is okay to say here because is it also sold at supported vendors such as crownhookahs, the only items you cannot talk about are one that are only sold on the banned site, i learned this the other day and figured id let you know as well

Me asking IMC about smoking outside buildings in NY. IMC-"then they would shoot you, wait, they dont believe in guns, um, they would liberal you to death!!"
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

Cool good to know, yea I have a narbish v4 and a medium tangers. Works beautifully
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:25 AM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

if you know how to pack a phunnel you don't need a mod. after 5-6 packs first owning it i can get it to smoke perfect every time
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:13 AM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpam View Post
if you know how to pack a phunnel you don't need a mod. after 5-6 packs first owning it i can get it to smoke perfect every time
Share with me your packing ways so it won't suck down.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Please get rid of the rubber cement. Just because it says non-toxic does not mean it won't release nasty stuff when exposed to heat. There are big differences between non-toxic, heat safe and food safe.

If you have wire you can just bend out the shape of the type of clip mentioned and it will work just as well.

Regarding proper packing techniques I just suggest making sure that the foil is really tight and use a sharp object to poke holes so the foil does not loosen while doing so. If there is still an issue you can takes some of the juice from the tobacco and line the edge of the bowl with it to seal it like a gasket. This will harden with the application of heat and make the foil stay right where it is but it will also make it a little harder to clean later.
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

double foiling is how i do it. super tight. and the proper amount of tobacco. it takes time and patience to get a funnel pack right. i think that's the main reason most people are turned off by it. once you master it you won't want to go back to vortex. i smoked vortex and funnel right after each other... night and day on draw and session quality
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Quote:
I notice that the foil was getting pulled down by the vacuum that was being created.
That can be easily remedied by poking a few more holes in the foil.

Old February 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM
HXORYPANSHSS
Banned

Just use a vortex, its pretty much the same shit but with the mod on!
I want to keep things simple, i love my Egyptian Bowl i only ordered two vortex bowls to come with my new hookah, you know, just to make the order a bit more interesting
Check out threat "Secret kept part1" to see my entire order.
Old February 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Please get rid of the rubber cement. Just because it says non-toxic does not mean it won't release nasty stuff when exposed to heat. There are big differences between non-toxic, heat safe and food safe.

If you have wire you can just bend out the shape of the type of clip mentioned and it will work just as well.

Regarding proper packing techniques I just suggest making sure that the foil is really tight and use a sharp object to poke holes so the foil does not loosen while doing so. If there is still an issue you can takes some of the juice from the tobacco and line the edge of the bowl with it to seal it like a gasket. This will harden with the application of heat and make the foil stay right where it is but it will also make it a little harder to clean later.
yea rubber cement is no bueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
That can be easily remedied by poking a few more holes in the foil.
theres a better way right here^^^^

Old February 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
spankysmokes
Hookah Nut

Alright I must be an idiot I tried the reverse hole methiod and everything else. I guess I'm stuck will the paper clip thing
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:12 PM
andrewnnix
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmokes View Post
Alright I must be an idiot I tried the reverse hole methiod and everything else. I guess I'm stuck will the paper clip thing
use what ever works for you i use a mod too because i dont always want to smoke like 60g at a time so the mod helps to smoke like 25-50g at a time instead! i can use as little or as much as possible with my mod its awsome!
Share with your friends on facebook