Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Two questions from a newbie

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM
manxmann
Hookah Newbie

Default Two questions from a newbie

hey guys, i have just purchased a 29" KM ice chiller and waiting for it to be delivered. 1st question is,
am i right thinking that cooling everything down with the ice will give less flavour?
2nd question,
i have a vortex bowl but i am reading in the forum that a lot of you guys use a phunnel bowl, what are the advantages and disadvantages to them both?
more than likely these questions have been asked many times and if so, i will appoligise now.
any help would be great. cheers
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki
Default Re: Two questions from a newbie

People say ice cools down the smoke but kills the flavor. Some people say it doesnt. So it's really up to you to see how much it changes.

vortex vs phunnel is all based on what the person prefers. The reason people prefer phunnels more is because when packing you can clearly see if you're blocking the middle spire. When it comes to vortexes the spires are on the side so you have to be a little more careful to not clog them.

Also some say vortexes have a slight restriction on the draw when phunnels dont. But like i said it's all personal preference.
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
manxmann
Hookah Newbie

cheers, will buy a phunnel and try it out myself
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
jhall8975
Hookah Nut

with a vortex get a bit of copper tubing thatll fit around the spire and pack it so it doesnt clog the holes, then take the piping out and put foil on it, thats what i do with mine and its been my favorite bowl since i got it
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Raffi
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxmann View Post
cheers, will buy a phunnel and try it out myself
I suggest checking on some How-To videos on YouTube about packing phunnel bowls. Hope you enjoy the phunnel as much as I do!
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
somecallmeallie
Hookah Pro

Ice kills the flavor on the inhale for me but the exhale is normal amount of flavor. I use a vortex and I love it. You've got a nice setup. Keep it going!
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:44 PM
mau77on
Hookah Newbie

I always put ice in the bowl, nice cooler tasting smoke. Havent used a phunnel but i heard it uses up a lot of shisha. with a limited budget, i'll stick with my vortex
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:35 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

i think if u put ice around the stem it wouldnt do as much as if its in the vase

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Setup, KM Green Pear 36", Small Tangier's Phunnel, KM Rainbow and Nammor Hoses
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM
The_boo
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mau77on View Post
I always put ice in the bowl, nice cooler tasting smoke. Havent used a phunnel but i heard it uses up a lot of shisha. with a limited budget, i'll stick with my vortex
there are many types and sizes of funnel style bowls, some of which use only a fraction of tobacco compared to the vortex.... the crown mini and micro funnels come to mind from crownhookahs.com

Me asking IMC about smoking outside buildings in NY. IMC-"then they would shoot you, wait, they dont believe in guns, um, they would liberal you to death!!"
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:26 AM
biloxi123
Hookah Aficionado

First of all, please regard this as what it is, my own opinion. I have found that shisha's that I really want to enjoy the flavor, like fruits or some black moassels that i want to taste the subtle tobacco notes, cool water in the base is ideal. But if you want to kick the "sensation" of mint flavors up another notch, then ice can make it happen for you. This is just what my experience has shown me. Don't worry about trying something and then finding out you didn't like it, that's part of the adventure.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:52 AM
VortexBowlLove
Hookah Nut

i prefer the vortex bowl, but that's only because the phunnel can have some problems with the pull, just being an open hole around the top....if your into the thicker smoke, like me, the vortex might be better. i only say that because with the phunnel it seemed like i was getting more regular oxygen mixed with the smoke compared to a vortex. that's just personal preference though!
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM
ajs425
Hookah Master

oh also, theres a million arguments for both bowls if i were u buy both see which one u like the vortex is great but only comes in one size the phunnel has multiple sizes, i personally use a vortex but have been unable to acquire a phunnel so i cant say for it but i love my vortex so im in no hurry to buy one :/

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM
HXORYPANSHSS
Banned

Just bought two vortex bowls, still too sick to try them out but i did take my time to buy them for trial, not going to do the sasme with funnels, vortex are easyer, simpler and can do the same results.
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

by the definition of science, the colder the water, the slower particles move, thus the less flavor you will experience. That said, some people dont care, or simply cant tell the difference.

as far as phunnels and vortex's. Ive always said vortex over phunnel because of its "packing a bowl for dummies" quality. Its SO hard to screw up a vortex pack. However in the past 4 months or so, I have noticed Im washing my vortex's alot less than my micro and medium phunnel :/ phunnels are great bowls, but IMO, 90% of people will never make use of anything over a medium phunnel. My medium hold roughly 35g and my micro about 10g, and my vortex about 35g
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
by the definition of science, the colder the water, the slower particles move, thus the less flavor you will experience. That said, some people dont care, or simply cant tell the difference.

as far as phunnels and vortex's. Ive always said vortex over phunnel because of its "packing a bowl for dummies" quality. Its SO hard to screw up a vortex pack. However in the past 4 months or so, I have noticed Im washing my vortex's alot less than my micro and medium phunnel :/ phunnels are great bowls, but IMO, 90% of people will never make use of anything over a medium phunnel. My medium hold roughly 35g and my micro about 10g, and my vortex about 35g
my first vortex would not get dirty ever it had maybe a tiny bit of grime but my new one is getting a lot dirtier faster and is missing one of the holes its kinda just a divot

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
biloxi123
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs425 View Post
oh also, theres a million arguments for both bowls if i were u buy both see which one u like the vortex is great but only comes in one size the phunnel has multiple sizes, i personally use a vortex but have been unable to acquire a phunnel so i cant say for it but i love my vortex so im in no hurry to buy one :/
I couldn't make my mind up, so I got both. The vortex is considerably shorter and therefore a windcover will fit better, which may be another thing to think about.
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by biloxi123 View Post
I couldn't make my mind up, so I got both. The vortex is considerably shorter and therefore a windcover will fit better, which may be another thing to think about.
thats what XL windcovers are for man XD or you can make one from a BFC monster can or two

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM
VortexBowlLove
Hookah Nut

Quote:
thats what XL windcovers are for man XD or you can make one from a BFC monster can or two
that's what i did....get the cans with the hole directly in the top with the twist-lid instead of regular pop-can tab....i cut about 2 inches away from the bottom and taped it. the poked holes around the middle of the can. works awesome! and looks sweet as hell :P
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VortexBowlLove View Post
that's what i did....get the cans with the hole directly in the top with the twist-lid instead of regular pop-can tab....i cut about 2 inches away from the bottom and taped it. the poked holes around the middle of the can. works awesome! and looks sweet as hell :P
are those actually wide enough? i figured i would need the BFC rather than the XL ones cuz the XLs dont look wide enough

Old February 10th, 2011, 03:55 PM
biloxi123
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
True that AJ!, I could always just improvise. My XL quadmetal windcover won't fit very well on my KM with a phunnel so, I cut a big hole in an old StarBuzz can like I saw Rideordie do in one of his vids. It ain't pretty but, it works.
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
VortexBowlLove
Hookah Nut

Quote:
are those actually wide enough? i figured i would need the BFC rather than the XL ones cuz the XLs dont look wide enough
they are, there's probably only about 2mm's of clearance on both sides of the bowl, so the bastard gets HOT! it'll fit but i'd fashion a handle on it somehow. i just stick my poker through the holes i made or pick it up through the top with the tongs
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
they are, there's probably only about 2mm's of clearance on both sides of the bowl, so the bastard gets HOT! it'll fit but i'd fashion a handle on it somehow. i just stick my poker through the holes i made or pick it up through the top with the tongs
best way to do it is you take another can and then make a handle out of strips of it call it good kinda like the way they look on the real windcovers, my windcover right now is a TAJ it sits on top of the bowl and gets so hot and theres not a good way to take it off as it needs to be removed soon after application basically its a POS

Old February 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM
VortexBowlLove
Hookah Nut

Quote:
best way to do it is you take another can and then make a handle out of strips of it call it good kinda like the way they look on the real windcovers, my windcover right now is a TAJ it sits on top of the bowl and gets so hot and theres not a good way to take it off as it needs to be removed soon after application basically its a POS
haha i was going to buy one a while back when i started smoking, i'm glad i didnt and just made one instead
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:35 PM
ajs425
Hookah Master

Quote:
haha i was going to buy one a while back when i started smoking, i'm glad i didnt and just made one instead
its whatever for me i got it for 5 bux at my local shop so no complaints :/

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook