Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

New KM hookah! Need major helo

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 9th, 2016, 03:55 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

Default New KM hookah! Need major helo

Let me start by saying ive been smoking hookah for 5 years. I have had all kinds of smaller hookahs and never had any issues. I recently upgraded my Mya Acrylic one hose 22" hookah to a 42" Nammor Vintage one hose (the largest hookah ive ever owned). I have checked it for leaks and the only issue is that the ball bearing gets stuck when i blow out, but i just have to unscrew the purge a bit the ball drops back down but i'm having a hard time getting the big thick clouds that i want. And my bowls last at most 45 minutes. Im using a phunnel bowl with AF shisha and I've tried every pack and foil pattern in the book (loose and fluffy, packed and dense) I usually pack it about a dimes width below the rim of the bowl so the shisha doesn't burn to the foil. I have been alternating between AF natural wood coals and some (coconut i think) natural coals from my local hookah lounge. But my coconut coals always seem to go out and I have to flip them every 5 minutes. I've tried reading through other peoples forums but just can't find my answer. Hookah Gods, if you're out there, you're my only hope ❤
Old November 9th, 2016, 04:43 PM
stabbins
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: New KM hookah! Need major helo

since you said your coals are going out, make sure they are well lit and completely covered in a gray ash before putting them on the bowl. I usually leave mine on the burner for 10 minutes give or take. You shouldn't have to keep flipping them throughout the session. Also make sure to use a wind cover if you have one, if not you should invest in one. How big is the phunnel bowl (what is it made from also) and how many coals are you using? Your foil hole patterns don't matter as long as you have enough for air flow.

Last edited by stabbins; November 9th, 2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old November 9th, 2016, 05:00 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Stabby is right. Do you live in an area with high humidity?
Old November 9th, 2016, 05:15 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	13225

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	13226

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	13227
Here's a few pictures to look at. I already loaded my bowl so couldn't get a picture of the inside for you. The picture of the coals is how they usually look after cooking around 10 minutes on my stove, but i don't see any ash around them? I live in West South Dakota but i wouldn't say we have high humidity here.
Old November 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

My bowl is pretty old and stained but i believe that its white on the inside so that makes me think its ceramic?
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:54 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Don't be afraid to put some holes in that foil.
Old November 9th, 2016, 10:57 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

i've started poking more holes with a smaller poker. Around 4 or 5 rings with a safety pin and a couple larger toothpick sized holes here and there. Is having a larger hookah really this much technical than having a normal 24"?! lmao
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:56 AM
Julioalexanderc
Hookah Newbie

Just use a toothpick and forget about the safety pin. Make enough holes so that you have the whole outer area of the foil covered. No wholes in the middle so air doesn't go straight through. Rotate your coals and get a wind cover. If you don't have one, make one out of foil. There are videos on youtube that can teach you how to.
Hope this works!
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:50 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

Quote:
Originally Posted by cady_gerlach View Post
i've started poking more holes with a smaller poker. Around 4 or 5 rings with a safety pin and a couple larger toothpick sized holes here and there. Is having a larger hookah really this much technical than having a normal 24"?! lmao
^^^^^
Nope. Youre making it complicated. No difference in setting up a 42" hookah. If you can set up a small rig, you should be able to set up a taller rig. Its not the pipe.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:22 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

I use the safety pin just cause its sharper and reduces tbe sag on the tinfoil but I've been using a toothpick to make the holes bigger... guess I've never done much research on heat management cause with my air flow coals there's no need to rotate or ash and i never had any issues.. I'll check out some videos on homemade wind covers until my new one gets here. My boyfriend is also thinking of buying me the Minzari Crown bowl so maybe someday that will solve all of my problems 😂
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:24 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

How often should I be rotating my coals? The smoke never gets harsh just thin and less flavorful. I've tried rotating them around ever 15 minutes but i feel like that is too often
Old November 10th, 2016, 03:38 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

And
Quote:
How often should I be rotating my coals? The smoke never gets harsh just thin and less flavorful. I've tried rotating them around ever 15 minutes but i feel like that is too often
Thats about same time i rotate them and i always have thick clouds its either you havent fully lit the coals or the coals you are using are bad
Also the foil shouldn't sag maybe you havent wrapped it tight enough
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:25 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

I've been lighting my coals for around 15 or 20 minutes instead of 10 like i was. I think my hot plate may be going bad so maybe it's time for a new one of those too! Poked a shit ton of holes and so far so good this bowl!
Old November 10th, 2016, 04:46 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
I've been lighting my coals for around 15 or 20 minutes instead of 10 like i was. I think my hot plate may be going bad so maybe it's time for a new one of those too! Poked a shit ton of holes and so far so good this bowl!
^^^^
When your smoke gets thin add your windcover or make one. That'll help.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:32 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Don't bother with the gimmicky coals and bowls. Standard coconut coals, either flats or cubes, a standard Egyptian bowl, and if you want one, a good stoneware funnel bowl.

Get the wind cover first.
Old November 10th, 2016, 06:24 PM
mattyuk
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Small Voice View Post
Don't bother with the gimmicky coals and bowls. Standard coconut coals, either flats or cubes, a standard Egyptian bowl, and if you want one, a good stoneware funnel bowl.

Get the wind cover first.
^^^^this.
Old July 12th, 2017, 03:26 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

Back again! Sorry for the long post but I feel like it's better to be specific..
After taking all of your suggestions into account, I eventually made the choice to purchase an XL wind cover and a phunnel bowl that is pretty similar to the one in the picture. It seems to smoke pretty good but i'm new to "heat management" and I haven't quite gotten a good technique yet for getting a consistently good smoke. I pack my bowls using AF mint lightly packed to the brim, a thin layer of Nakhla blueberry on top of that, and then i use my thumb to semi-densely pack everything down to just below the rim of the bowl. Lately I've been using three fully lit titanium coals (one flat and the other two up on their sides) placed evenly around the bowl, then I put the wind cover on and let it sit for 30 seconds - 1 minute before puffing. I don't know if it's because i'm just used to slightly harsh smoke or what but I can't seem to figure out when the right time is to move the coals/take the wind cover off/take a coal off ect. before it is too late and my smoke gets thin or too harsh. Typically the bowl lasts anywhere from 20 minutes(if too harsh to fix) to 1 hour(when the coals are small marble size), every bowl is a hit or miss it seems and I am looking for some guidance to get a good system/routine.

Thank you for reading my rant! Any suggestions are welcome
Attached Thumbnails
bm0OVT5.jpg  
Old July 12th, 2017, 03:33 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Pack and foil your bowl, try two coals at opposite ends of the bowl with windcoverfor 3-5 mins. Rotate coals to other opposing sides, let it sit another two to three mins with windcover. Remove windcover, purge as necessary. Replace windcover when smoke gets thin. Thats pretty much it.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old July 12th, 2017, 06:33 PM
cady_gerlach
Hookah Newbie

I was having a hard time getting thick smoke with only two coals which is why I upped to 3. Moving my coals every 3-5 minutes just sounds extreme, but whatever it takes! I never used to have these issues with my last hookah. Just set it and forget it.
Old July 13th, 2017, 03:44 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

You dont need to move your coals EVERY three to five minutes. You just st want to give the bowl time to heat up.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:17 AM
stabbins
Hookah Enthusiast

yeah more time to heat up only rotate them the one time like carn said. if 2 coals is thin smoke maybe you aren't packing high enough? if you continue to have problems post a pic of your bowl packed.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook