Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Advice for someone getting back into hookah?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old June 20th, 2017, 02:42 PM
MysticHaze
Hookah Nut

Default Advice for someone getting back into hookah?

Hey Pros,

I haven't been smoking my hookah regularly for a few years, first there were college dorm rules then a shitty roommate situation. I couldn't smoke inside, and where I live it's frigid half the year so I didn't want to smoke outside.

Now I've got my own place and can puff to my heart's desire, but I've been out of the game for a while and I'm sure there have been advances in my absence. What miracle products and innovations have I missed since 2013?

I'm currently smoking my Tangiers packed into a clay funnel out of a KM Cheops, topped with a Lotus filled with coconut coals, pulling from a Nu-Hose. I've heard good things about the Samsaris Vitria, and it seems silicone hoses are the norm now. Should I be picking these up? Are there any new hookah makers on the scene I should be aware of?

What new improvements to my sessions am I missing out on?
Old June 20th, 2017, 03:17 PM
GrandmasterHash
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Advice for someone getting back into hookah?

If you ask me most of these new 'innovations' are just fads. Sure you can spend hundreds on a shisha thats been CNC machined from the highest grade materials with the most expensive paint and the fanciest looks along with an expensive bowl/hose etc., but it's really not gonna be much better than a standard Egyptian/Turkish/generic middle eastern setup in terms of the experience. I've seen people rag on Arabs because they don't 'innovate' as much as you see Europeans and Americans do but I've yet to see anything that is drastically better than what's been around for over a hundred years.
Basically the setup you have now is good enough and while you can spend a lot more money on these new products, don't expect any major improvements. Silicone hoses are nice though and a more solid pipe will last longer and shake less when you are smoking (which always annoys me)
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:17 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

Well said,Fred....

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:40 PM
Mr_Stubbes
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
Well said,Fred....
Very well said indeed.

The only reason to even get one of those new "over engineered" hookahs is to essentially show off, but considering they're mass produced they're about as common as can be with a "rare gem" price point.

If it were me I'd rather pick up either a nice Syrian or Turk because honestly I find them a hell of a lot more impressive and worth collecting.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:07 PM
MysticHaze
Hookah Nut

Thanks!

I also hear that there are coals being made that are somewhere between flats and cubes in size. As a Tangiers smoker, this piques my interest. Does anyone have experience with using two or three of them in a lotus for Birquq?

I do have a brass Turkish hookah I had sent to me from the middle east, but it's a bit too restrictive a draw so I always go back to my KM. It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, though.
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:02 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Vitria is a good bowl, arguably just as good as a regular clay bowl. Don't buy it unless you are into portable hookahs.

Stainless hookahs with a click mechanism or similar are pretty nice in terms of how 'solid' they feel, plus you don't have to deal with oxidation.

Silicone hoses are very easy to maintain.

Overall, some things have arguably improved. Your current setup should do the job fine, unless you're really keen on updating it.

Hookah has recently become extremely popular in Russia, most 'innovation' now happens in their local market and little gets exported. They have produced some really superior shisha. They also made a ton of new pipes, bowls, hoses, and so on, but none of those are really objectively better.
Old June 30th, 2017, 03:48 PM
MysticHaze
Hookah Nut

Update: Still smoking from my KM Cheops, v2 bowl that must not be named, added a dream hose and an Oduman Ignis is on the way because I always felt like I had to force coals into the lotus and put spacers to prevent the bottoms going out.

Took a while to remaster my Tangiers pack.

Waiting on a ton of new flavors introduced since I last smoked regularly. I'm super excited to try Kashmir Blue and Forbidden fruit from Tangiers, and I'm even giving SB Vintage a chance aftet a bunch of rave reviews.

It's good to be back!
Old June 30th, 2017, 04:05 PM
GrandmasterHash
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
Update: Still smoking from my KM Cheops, v2 bowl that must not be named, added a dream hose and an Oduman Ignis is on the way because I always felt like I had to force coals into the lotus and put spacers to prevent the bottoms going out.

Took a while to remaster my Tangiers pack.

Waiting on a ton of new flavors introduced since I last smoked regularly. I'm super excited to try Kashmir Blue and Forbidden fruit from Tangiers, and I'm even giving SB Vintage a chance aftet a bunch of rave reviews.

It's good to be back!
everyone raves about Trifecta dark blend so maybe you should try that too. I reckon you'd like it
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:57 PM
Frankbigs
Hookah Newbie

SB vintage is amazing. just tried rootbeer last night and i give it a 10/10
Old July 2nd, 2017, 11:31 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankbigs View Post
SB vintage is amazing. just tried rootbeer last night and i give it a 10/10
^^^^
Yep, root beer is excellent as is spiced peach, fresh lime and indian spiced apple, chocolate orange and dark mist were, however, horrid.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook