Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

How do you rate your natural charcoal?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 11th, 2017, 12:30 AM
limtedd
Hookah Newbie

Smile How do you rate your natural charcoal?

Hey guys,

Teddy here from Indonesia.

I want to hear from you directly about how do you rate your natural shisha charcoal (coconut shell charcoal). How do you measure the quality of the charcoal that you receive and what aspect or factor is most important for you in determining the charcoal quality?

Reason I'm asking is because I hope to do an ultimate guide where I discuss about how can the everyday shisha smoker pick the best coconut shell charcoal for them, and simple tips on how can they test it.

Even though I am a charcoal manufacturer and should know about this stuff already, I would still love to hear about your opinion. As my old teacher said, listen first and talk later, so let me hear it from you!

Cheers,

Ted
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:57 AM
grok
Hookah Nut

Default Re: How do you rate your natural charcoal?

The good coal without smell, sparks, fume and with minimal ahs residue
Old December 11th, 2017, 06:16 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

Quote:
Originally Posted by grok View Post
^^^^^
Yep......

Id add heat output to the list and comprised 100% of compressed coconut- no fillers. (Ash will actually be slightly brown from cocos that have no fillers, NOT pure white as is generally accepted.)

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old December 11th, 2017, 09:23 AM
stabbins
Hookah Enthusiast

also coals that don't crack and pop apart burning my house up
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:06 PM
limtedd
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grok View Post
Hello Grok, thx for the reply.
I think all natural charcoal, even the bad ones are without sparks and fume, as long as they dont add chemicals.
I also think that all natural charcoal, even the greatest one, will have some smell when they first lit, even though there is no chemical added.
For the ash residue, this is probably the most difficult thing to control by the factory, since it is varies naturally.

One thing I'm still not sure is, whether charcoal can truly affect the taste of your tobacco. Heard about this from few people but when I tried two different quality charcoal with AF DA, I can't taste the difference. Noobs tounge, perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
^^^^^
Yep......

Id add heat output to the list and comprised 100% of compressed coconut- no fillers. (Ash will actually be slightly brown from cocos that have no fillers, NOT pure white as is generally accepted.)
Thanks Carnal, you are right that charcoal that is truly white must have some whitening agent inside.

But do you also know that it is possible to get white ash without any whitening agent? This can be done but a bit tricky since we the factory need to source and choose which raw material have this white ash characteristic. Even then, the result will not be super white like if people add whitening agent.

I would love to someday make a video about it, to burn some raw coconut shell charcoal and show to the audience that some will have brown ash, and some will have white ash.

Based on my knowledge, the true way to measure whether they have filler or not is by looking at the end result of the ash residue. If it is high, then there must be some filler in it.

Gosh, when I started I also didn't know that this simple product (charcoal) have such a deep twist & turn knowledge to be learnt.

What about the heat output? Higher heat the better?

Such a fun thing, looking for the perfect charcoal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabbins View Post
also coals that don't crack and pop apart burning my house up
Hi Stabbins, this is actually one of the easiest thing to solve.

You know why some coals crack and pop apart? It is because of manufacturing flaws, so the fault is totally at the factory.

Here is the thing, there is almost no entry barrier to enter this charcoal manufacturing thing. You will be surprised that they can build a factory with low capital.

But the problem is when they just use whatever machine they can get, they didn't achieve the right density. When this happen, the charcoal can pop apart easily when they fall down.

A simple test you can do as a hookah smoker is: get a glass of water and put the charcoal inside. If it is floating then the density is not good. If it is sinking but a lot of bubble comes out, then the density is also not that very good. Ideally we are looking for charcoal that sinks and have very few bubbles (i think it is hard for totally no small bubbles).

Even when they have the right machine, if the material is not coconut shell (a lot of fillers), they also have this same problem. Naturally, coconut shell is indeed the best material out there for charcoal.
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:10 PM
Juggy
Hookah Master

I buy a lounge case of Coco's every year and they are just as good from first bowl to last.
Share with your friends on facebook