Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

burning taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old July 25th, 2017, 02:18 AM
amerlord
Hookah Newbie

Default burning taste

so ive been smoking hookah for about 3 years now and i still freaking get tasteless sessions everytime i clean my hookah, i thought it was the tobacco i use at first but then i got really good tobacco and sometimes it's good sometimes its absolutely tasteless ....what the hell is going on here
you'd think that after 3 years you'd become an expert lol

ps my friend uses the same tobacco and his hookah tastes like heaven
Old July 25th, 2017, 06:17 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns
Default Re: burning taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerlord View Post
so ive been smoking hookah for about 3 years now and i still freaking get tasteless sessions everytime i clean my hookah, i thought it was the tobacco i use at first but then i got really good tobacco and sometimes it's good sometimes its absolutely tasteless ....what the hell is going on here
you'd think that after 3 years you'd become an expert lol

ps my friend uses the same tobacco and his hookah tastes like heaven
^^^^
Its not the hookah,brother. Never is. 99% of the time its your heat management.
Tell us about you setup. Ie: Tobacco, bowl, pics of your packing, type and quantities of coal, windcover use, is your hose new, washable, etc...

We'll be better able to help.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old July 27th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Evgenius1990
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: burning taste

Absolytly agree. The main reason is that you have a lot of heat for tobaco.
There is a lot tobacco Starbuzz-like: social smoke, starbuzz, fumari and else. They don`t need a lot of heat. The better work with phunnel 2-3 coals.
Nakhla, Al Fakher, Al ajami, Al waha, Sherbetly, Adalya better works with egyptian cups 3 coals.
Old July 28th, 2017, 07:14 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Hi, I used to have a similar issue to you. Either I would get alot of smoke and no taste or it would just taste of coal. I will break down different parts of making a good shisha that in my opinion are important but remember this is just my own personal way of doing it that seems to work for me.

Coal - do not use quick lights as not only do they ruin the taste of the shisha, they are also not practical. Use natual coals. I use cocobuzz and starbuzz. Make sure the coals are lit well. Sometimes the lack of taste is due to the bottom of the coal being poorly lit. For foil i start with 2 coals and when they start dying i put 1 more. For A.O.T 4 coals. This is because the coals will be on a metal cover, hence meaning to get a good smoke you will need abit more heat, at least initially. Remember the more heat that goes to the tobacco, the quicker it will burn. I prefer taste > clouds so I use less coals than most.

Bowl - I use 3 main bowls. An egyptian, a Chinese (yes) phunnel and Apple on Top (not fruit head). Recently I only use A.O.T as I find for me, it has great heat management and a much cleaner taste. The phunnel is perfectly fine as is the egyptian but it will leak juices into your base. You can put some tissue around the bowl but it will still drip. There are plenty of other (expensive) bowls available but for me I have made the ones I have work.

Hookah - this is where my knowledge is very limited as I have only 1 hookah which is Khalil Mamoon 28" cafe style. I have had it for 5 years and it is time for a new one, but it has done me proud. I would say do not use those small cheap chinese ones though. Not only do they rust easy

Hose - get a long, washable hose. I personally would avoid the glass ones as from my experience they interfere with the taste. Hoses are cheap and plenty available. Some people like non washable for specific flavours but for me I don't like ghosting.

Foil - strong foil is important for any bowls you have that require it. I use super premium foil from costco. It must be wrapped tight around the bowl. Following from foil, hole pattern. Depending on my mood I do smaller holes in larger quantities or larger holes in smaller quantities. Larger holes will give you more smoke, smaller will give you less. Again this all depends on how many coals you use.

Base - fill with cold water, but make sure the stem of the hookah is submerged around 1-2cm under the water. Also, I use a diffuser which silences the bubbles and produces a smoother smoke.

Tobacco - there are hundreds of brands available especially if you are in the U.S. Here in England mostly Al Fakher and Starbuzz are available in lounged, with some having Tangiers and Fantasia too. I would say Al Fakher is a good place to start. I usually remove 50% of the juice of the tobacco otherwise it burns quicker. I pack lightly, making sure there is room for air too flow inside. Not too loose otherwise you will find the shisha will be harsh. Pack 1-2mm from the top of bowl, otherwise the shisha will burn quicker with contact.

Misc - make sure there is no leak where air can come in when you inhale. For example, the bowl must be secured with a grommet and some tissue, same with the hookah stem to the bowl, and the hose to the stem. This means when you inhale, you will only be pulling in air from the bowl/coals.

I hope that helps you and gives you a full on flavour. Again I must stress I am no expert by any means but I do find my shisha better than 90% of the lounges I visit. I have yet to try alot of the American hookah tech and tobacco as it is simply very expensive to get here in the U.K. Good luck!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook