Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

The Tangiers Megathread: Tangiers goes Here

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Default The Tangiers Megathread: Tangiers goes Here

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since Tangiers seems to have actually caught on around HP and the frequency of Tangiers threads has been growing, I decided now is as good a time as any to start the Tangiers How-To Megathread, so here we go.

Tangiers:

Tangiers is a U.S.A. produced Shisha created by a cool guy named Eric in San Diego California. The product itself is a dark leaf, unwashed tobacco mu'assel made from 100% USA Grown Tobacco Leaf and Natural Ingredients. No artificial dye is used in the production, and Eric always guarantees that his tobacco uses the minimal amount of ingredients to provide you with the best quality smoke available on the market with the least number of additives, no hidden bullshit and no advertising lies.

You can reach Eric for customer support at 619-265-2225.

*Do Not Contact Eric for Purchasing Information: He does not sell direct to customers over the phone or internet!*

Since we're all health nuts around the hookah community on the packaging, you'll find this lovely note from Mr. Sonthert himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangiers
Warning! This product contains tobacco. Many tobacco products have been shown to cause cancer, lung disease, birth defects in pregnant women arterial disease and many other maladies that will shorten your life. The components besides tobacco are certified GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) but they may also contribute to adverse health effects. Finally, this blend of ingredients and tobacco may inadvertently have some negative health effects that are completely unforeseen by the manufacturer.

This means you're smoking tobacco at your own risk, and it isn't healthy for you.

Lucid, Noir, and F-Line:

Tangiers comes in three different varieties; those being Lucid (Washed), Noir (Regular), and F-Line (Caffeinated).

Lucid:

Lucid packs a substantially lower nicotine content as it is created using washed tobacco. "Washing" tobacco is actually the process of scrubbing the leaf and removing a substantial amount of nicotine from the end result. Most washed tobaccos will only carry an approximate nicotine content of 0.05%. You'll notice this is a massive decrease from the standard (Noir) version of Tangiers, packing a wholloping 0.3%. What this means in the end is that the tobacco is less likely to smoke harshly, and you won't get a headache inducing "buzz" if you're not a regular smoker.

Unfortunately one of the downsides to washed tobacco is that it generally carries a less substantial flavor than its regular line counterparts, so there is a tradeoff to be had.
However, there is an added benefit that lucid is far less susceptible to rapid changes in humidity (as a side effect of less nicotine), therefor requiring little to no acclimation and a higher tolerance for smoking in a wider variety of climates.

Noir:

The standard version of Tangiers (Unwashed). Higher Nicotine, Better Flavor, and Longer Duration in comparison to its Lucid counterpart. Also has the added benefit of a more robust tobacco undertone present in the majority of flavors.

Quote:
Nicotine Content: [FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Approximately 0.3%[/FONT]

F-Line:

Noir + Caffeine. Not for new smokers. Has the ability to cause extreme dehydration so make sure you're drinking water or juice when you smoke this. Does give one heck of a buzz however, and if you're sensitive to caffeine it'll give you a little bit of a kick.

On the Cut:

Tangiers is a larger cut than most tobaccos you'll find on the market and heres why:

Quote:
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]The smaller the tobacco is cut, the tighter it fits together, so the worse it hits. The larger the tobacco is cut the looser it fits, so less tobacco fits in the same amount of space, so the faster it burns out. Much larger pieces of tobacco can be packed in, but burn out quicker. Much smaller pieces of tobacco clog and stick together, and require the smoker to “fluff” them up, but last longer. We were designing this tobacco and said “There must be a perfect size of tobacco where you just put it in the bowl and smoke it.” That’s why our tobacco is the size that it is. It varies slightly from batch to batch, but we try to make about the right size so that you put it in the bowl, making sure there are no “gaps” around the edges of the bowl and it draws perfectly.[/FONT]

Packaging:

Tangiers comes packaged in vacuum sealed high-quality bags, weighing in at 250g of raw product per unit. The bags are both Number and Color coded to ensure you know what you're getting. [Both the external paper wrapper and the vacuum sealed bag should have the number code on them, along with a weight listing and (sometimes) the name of the flavor is on the internal package.]

Color Codes:

Yellow: Flavors Available Year Round. These are the Tangiers standards available from almost any vendor that carries the brand. If a vendor doesn't stock it, call and complain until they do!

Red: Limited Production Flavors available for one or two months at a time. These are usually seasonal blends that can be hard to get a hold of during certain times of the year, don't be sad if someone doesn't have it, and probably expect to pay a little bit more than the standard asking price.

Blue: One Time Flavors, Special Requests, Test Batches released for consumer commentary. These are a rarity, so be happy if you manage to snag a bag.

Number Codes:

Each flavor in the Tangiers line-up is assigned a flavor number. The list of flavors can be found on Erics personal forums which I won't link out of respect for the community, but google Tangiers and you'll find both the boards and the flavor list pretty easily.

Flavor Sheets:

Heres a sample image of the flavor sheets that Eric produces. The numbering system is ranked from 1-5, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest. Note the color of the label and the number of the flavor are both attached to the sheet.

How to store your Tangiers:

Quote:
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Use a clean, [/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]dry[/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif], dishwasher safe bowl to stir it in and then cover it with plastic wrap, aluminum foil or waxed paper when you aren’t using the tobacco. Leave it somewhere safe and not too warm or cold. It will be waiting for you safe and sound to smoke it next time. Ideally, you can buy reusable food containers at most grocery stores. Try to make sure you get “polypropylene” if you can, ”polystyrene” or “vinyl” are the next best and “polyethylene” is usable, but the worst. You can tell what kind of plastic it is by looking in the little recycling triangle symbol. There will be a number in the triangle and then from one to four letters below the triangle. Polypropylene is “5” and the letters are “PP”, polystyrene is “6” and “PS”, vinyl is “3” and “V”. numbers 1, 2, & 4 are all polyethylene. Their letters can be PETE, HDPE, LDPE.[/FONT]

Tangier's Phunnel Bowls:

Tangiers Phunnel Bowls come in a variety of sizes and a few different styles. You can get Mini, Small, Medium, and Large phunnels. At the time of writing this, to my knowledge, large bowls are currently discontinued, as the demand for them was too low to justify the cost of producing them.

Phunnel Bowls have two major models distributed to customers.

Standard Phunnel:

Super Chief Phunnel:

The Benefits of a Phunnel bowl are:

1) Specifically Designed for Tangiers Tobacco
2) They don't drip juice all over your stem, tray, and bowl

Why are Tangiers Phunnels a superior product ? To quote the manufacturer himself:
Quote:
[LIST=1][*][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif]The heads are fired to a much higher temperature. This increases the degree to which the clay [/FONT][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif]vitrifies[/FONT][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif] or mixes its molecules. This makes Tangiers’ heads more resilient, more durable, and more impervious to water and absorption fracture.[/FONT][*][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif]More vitrified clay retains heat better, so try using less charcoal than you normally would.[/FONT][*][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif]They are handmade making the final quality better.[/FONT][*][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif]They are dishwasher safe and can withstand soaking better than Arabic heads.[/FONT][*][FONT=Swiss 721 SWA, sans-serif]Since Tangiers Products are made in the United States, you can be assured we don’t use child or slave labor to produce our products.[/FONT][/LIST]

How do I pack a phunnel bowl with Tangiers Tobacco?

I've taken the liberty of copying Eric's own packing method (Which I use myself to great success) and have added it to our How-To archive here at HP, and you can see the video here:

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/video...s&videoid=6283

__________________________________________________ _____________________
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:03 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Default Re: The Tangiers Megathread: Tangiers goes Here

What coals do I use ?

Eric personally recommends (and I concur!) that Japanese Style Silver Tabs work best with tangiers due to their steady heat output and small surface area. Most silvertabs will generally last you 30-45 minutes depending on how quickly you smoke your bowl.

Recommendations:

Natural Wood Coal:
[LIST][*]Exotica Natural Square Finger Charcoal (Cut the sticks into 5ths)[/LIST] Natural Coconut Coals:
[LIST][*]Coconara Natural Coconut Coals (The cubes work better, in my opinion.)[/LIST] Natural Silver Tab Coals:
[LIST][*] Golden Canary Silver Tabs[*] Exotica Easy Light Hookah Cubes[*] Fumari Japanese Silver Tab Charcoal[/LIST]

The Next Section is Important! Read It!

Acclimation, Humidity Shock, and How to Deal with it:

Due to its production style, Tangiers is susceptible to the ambient humidity of the place you're going to smoke it. Taken directly from Eric on Acclimation and Humidity Shock:

Quote:
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Humidity shock is caused when hookah tobacco, which holds moisture from the air, becomes used to one level of humidity and then the air changes its humidity level quickly. It takes approximately 6 hours for Tangiers Tobacco, exposed directly to the air, to get comfortable with the new level of moisture. Our science-geeks say “Tell them 18 hours, to make sure.” So, wait 18 hours, to be sure. All brands of hookah tobacco suffer humidity shock to one degree or another. First, humidity shock is [/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]not[/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif] dangerous, it just means the tobacco is smoking too harsh or the flavor is dying too quickly. Second, there is no way to just look at a tub of tobacco and tell if it is in humidity shock. I have personally noticed slight differences in aroma, especially in flavors #3 (strawberry) and #9 (melon blend) when they have humidity shock. I can’t describe it too well except the flavor smells more “stemmy” and less sweet or fruity.[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Now we have decided that it can happen to you, we want to break the problem down into prevention and treatment, just like a surgeon. As far as prevention goes, there are three courses. The first course is the easiest and provides the worst results, do nothing, if it smokes crummy, oh well. The second course is the middle approach and most popular. If the weather changes (Rainy weather comes in, warm spell breaks, goes from windy to calm, whatever) leave the top off of the tobacco container. Tangiers uses Newspring containers for its tobacco. They seal pretty well, so the air trapped with the tobacco can’t change humidity levels with the rest of the air and the tobacco stays drier or damper than the new humidity in the outside air would allow. Take the top off, it allows the tobacco to get used to the air. Just a small technical note from our science-geek.[/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Geek
Humidity shock seems to be caused by the level of absolute humidity which is measured by dew point. The humidity numbers that the weather says as percentages (Ex. The Humidity is 43%) are relative humidity and don't cause humidity shock.
[/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]
The third course of prevention of humidity shock isn’t that much more effective than the second course, but gives us something to do when we’re not smoking hookah. Watch weather reports and open those sealed tubs when the weather changes. The newspaper or the TV will have some weather information. Keep up on the dew point; it’s the only accurate forecaster of how the tobacco is going to smoke. Actually, to be correct, it is the change in dew point from day to day that forecasts humidity shock. It the dew point changes a lot, then humidity shock is likely. A dew point change of two or three degrees in one day can cause shock. Smaller changes will affect the tobacco, but to the point where it will be less noticeable.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]I am about to tell you to put different temperatures of water in the glass jar of your hookah. Be careful! Changes in temperature can cause the glass to shatter and you could be injured! Even worse, your hookah could be unusable! Use extreme care. Don’t put a different temperature of water in a jar that is cracked or damaged. [/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Well, now you have humidity shock and you want to cure it. I can’t cure a headache, but I can give you an aspirin. Same thing with humidity shock; I can’t cure it, but I can make it better. If the humidity shock is damp things are smoking erratically, flavors die out quickly, some smoke poorly, flavors may fade in and out. The way to reduce the effects of damp humidity shock is simple, use ice in the water in the jar. Fill the jar up about 2/3 of the level you usually put water in to and then fill water up to the normal level. After a half hour or so (or if you notice a change in the bubbling of the hookah) check to make sure the ice melting hasn’t dropped the water level below the bottom of the shank (which would mean there might as well be no water in there at all.) If the humidity shock is dry everything seems to be smoking very heavily and flavors are being dominated by a strong, tobacco-burning flavor. That is nicotine, which dissolves in the extra moisture from the air, and makes an express train right to your mouth. It isn’t any more dangerous, it’s just annoying to see your favorite flavor get angry. The solution is the opposite; put hot water in to your jar. Not terribly hot, not full blast hot. You’ll notice that it also weakens the flavor, since the warmer water draws more flavor into the water. [/FONT]

[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]There are some common things or conventional wisdoms people do to their hookah tobaccos that may cause humidity shock:[/FONT]
[LIST][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Smoking your tobacco at different times, like in the afternoon and at night and sealing the container in between. If you think you may smoke twice at different times, leave the lid off.[/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Having air conditioning or the heater on one day and not the next. Both change the humidity of the air in different ways. [/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Putting your tobacco in the refrigerator or freezer. This practice is fine if you intend to smoke it in the refrigerator or freezer. Otherwise, leaving the dry fridge is going to cause damp humidity shock. Additionally, nasty food odors stuck in your refrigerator may stick to open containers of tobacco, fouling the flavor, permanently. [/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Putting ice in the water all of the time. It’s good when its damp humidity shock, but really [/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]very[/FONT][FONT=Sylfaen, serif] bad when the tobaccos suffering dry humidity shock. [/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Adding alcohol or fruit or juice to the water. These things may change the ability of the water to absorb what its supposed to, exacerbating humidity shock. [/FONT]
[/LIST] [FONT=Sylfaen, serif]How to have hookah success!:[/FONT]
[LIST][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Just keep your tobacco near where you will be smoking.[/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Seal the lid if foul smells are near by (even nail polish, paint, garlic, onions, etc.).[/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Open the lid when the weather changes.[/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Treat hookah tobacco like a durable food product (like pasta).[/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Clean your hookah after every time you smoke it.[/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Use good quality charcoal. [/FONT][*][FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Put tobacco in the bowl lightly, so it touches the edges and is uniform.[/FONT][/LIST]

*If anyone has questions or would like information added to the OP, please post a reply here in the thread and I'll update as frequently as possible*
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Default The Tangiers Megathread: Tangiers goes Here

i had no idea about the color coding, nice to know.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
Thunderwolf1019
Hookah Guru

this is a megathread
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM
ajs425
Hookah Master

holy flying jesus f#$% MODS sticky this thread QUICK!!! lol

I am the true hookah troll, fear me or love me, you cannot hide from the troll he will find you... and make you rage.
Setup, KM Green Pear 36", Small Tangier's Phunnel, KM Rainbow and Nammor Hoses
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Scootertaj
Hookah Guru

Seriously, this is all good to know.
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Patch41893
Hookah Nut

Please sticky this one!!!
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:30 AM
SonOfGram
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch41893
Please sticky this one!!!
+1, great thread Waffle, thanks for taking the time to do this write up. Makes a good newbie referral.

Sent from my Android phone.

How-To Etch a Hookah Base: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22782
How-To DIY E-Cigarette: http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33454
Old March 24th, 2011, 04:26 AM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Quote:
[FONT=Sylfaen, serif]Putting your tobacco in the refrigerator or freezer. This practice is fine if you intend to smoke it in the refrigerator or freezer[/FONT]
I lol'ed so hard when I read this.

Waffle, great thread. Very informative indeed. I can honestly say I learned something even though I smoke Tangiers quite regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Let's all chill and look at the pretty hookahs. Oooh. Shiny. I want one.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Sheesh-ugh
Hookah Newbie

Great work!! I smoke Tang exclusively, but the humidity shock part was something I hadn't learned before. Rule of thumb: if it smells good, smoke it. If it doesn't, don't. If that's your only flavor, buy more!!
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM
terafractal
Hookah Nut

absolutely essential info for people new to Tangiers. I agree, this should be sticky'd somewhere, because it is the end-all / be-all thread for Tangiers. Thank you Waffle for working on this, I really appreciate this info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAki View Post
Yeah, that major thing is for new people to understand that water is the essence of life.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Teetersalad
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to Teetersalad

Awesome thread! I'll be sure to revert back to this when I try me some Tangiers, hopefully soon.
Old March 24th, 2011, 11:42 AM
jdz2040
Hookah Nut

awesome thread the color codes is something i had no idea about thanks waffle, this should help me out in the near future.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

you can add fumari japanese charcoal. pretty sure they get it from the same factory as golden canary.
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
you can add fumari japanese charcoal. pretty sure they get it from the same factory as golden canary.
Done.
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:07 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

Due to the fact that we all see so many Tangiers threads pop up....and everyone requesting this, i've stickied it. Samb, feel free to unsticky or move it where you please but I think this is a good idea

Old March 25th, 2011, 03:03 AM
wakisaki
Hookah Pro

Irishpwnstar and I just had our first tangiers experience with lucid Kashmir cherry. We managed to get it perfect on the first try and it lasted two hours. The clouds were awesome and in was delicious. Tangiers is the shit!! I will definitely buy more.

Irishpwnstar^

me
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:26 AM
rideordie81
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakisaki View Post
Irishpwnstar and I just had our first tangiers experience with lucid Kashmir cherry. We managed to get it perfect on the first try and it lasted two hours. The clouds were awesome and in was delicious. Tangiers is the shit!! I will definitely buy more.
Tangiers lucid isnt hard to get right. I can be regular packed in an egyptian bowl and have good results. This thread is mostly for the noir and f-line tangiers. They are the ones that give tangiers the "hard to use" reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Let's all chill and look at the pretty hookahs. Oooh. Shiny. I want one.
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Beautiful thread. About time!
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM
biloxi123
Hookah Aficionado

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE=HookahWaffle;468144][QUOTE]
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Since Tangiers seems to have actually caught on around HP and the frequency of Tangiers threads has been growing, I decided now is as good a time as any to start the Tangiers How-To Megathread, so here we go.

Nicely done, Sir! This quashes the some of myths and rumors about Tangiers that permeate the threads. I should know, I spread some of them!
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Taproots
Hookah Nut

I've heard that some of the flavors within the noir line are more delicate and heat sensitive than others.
If i wanted to start out, what are some of the easier flavors of tangiers noir to get right in terms of setup?
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taproots View Post
I've heard that some of the flavors within the noir line are more delicate and heat sensitive than others.
If i wanted to start out, what are some of the easier flavors of tangiers noir to get right in terms of setup?
Orange Soda is pretty standard for everyone to start on.

Horchata (Cinnamon Rice Milk flavored) is also good as well as Kashmir Peach (Woody, spiced florals with peach).
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:00 PM
bigslim3k
Hookah Newbie

could some one explain the differences, pros, and cons between lucid, noir, and f-line?
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:09 PM
JediSpam
Hookah Aficionado

lucid no buzz. easiest to pack
noir buzz. more difficult to pack
f-line buzz/caffeine. more difficult to pack
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:11 PM
PeterMon
Hookah Guru

very informative Waffle! thanks!

bigslim- lucid is a washed tobacco version of Noir, it doesnt pack a huge buzz and is "easier" to manage, noir is unwashed and heavy on the buzz and requires more "work" and finally F Line is caffeinated and packs a huge buzz too

thats the short version of it, im sure Waffle or any other Tangiers enthusiast can tell you more
Share with your friends on facebook