Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

My take on shisha/hookah lounges in London, England + reviews of a few

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:08 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Firstly I would like to state this thread consists of my personal opinions, I hope I do not offend anyone. I have been smoking shisha for over 3 years, and have taught myself many things through forums such as these, and especially Youtube. I now am an addict like many here, and never enjoy anything less than the best!

I have given up on the aspect of a shisha lounge in London/England having as good a set up and as good quality as I have at home, which includes cleaning the base, stem, hose and head and using a generous amount of tobacco, using the correct foil, and high quality coconut coals. They just can't cater to it, as most of the lounges here are run/owned by Egyption/Lebanese/Indians and as stated in earlier posts, the Middle East run places use the standard KM set up with an Egyptian head. Don't get me wrong, it's good in taste, but gets harsh as they have no idea about heat management, and the juices are always dripping through the head, and water isn't filled the correct amount.

As for the Indian run places, they sometimes have phunnels, and even clean their pipes BUT they are stingy when it comes to the actual amount of flavour, and charge ridiculous amounts for a single shisha, for example the standard for Fantasia is around £20 per bowl.

Service can be excellent, as aforementioned in this thread, I agree with Fawanees being 'O.K', certain people there know how to make a decent shisha but the problem arises when different staff make the shisha at different times. However I completely disagree with MIA lounge in Swiss Cottage. Shisha can be good at times, but service is absolutely horrendous, atmosphere is average, and prices are way too high. You get ignored especially if you aren't a regular.

I appreciate what goes into making a good shisha, from the way the tobacco is placed in a bowl to the amount of water filled in the base, and here are a few of my suggestions of shisha lounges in my local area (this may help people living in London) -

Everest Shisha Lounge (Wealdstone) - I have been going to this place for over 2 years, they use phunnel bowls and clean their stems and hoses every night. The only downside is they are slightly stingy with the coals, so after a first round of 3 recently lit coconut coals, they, simply blow them off and put the tiny dying coals back on. Obviously you can ask for new coals but it should be part of the service to privide fresh lit coals. Flavours are wholesome though. They have AF, Fantasia and Starbuzz. I give this place 7/10

Sahara Lounge - this place has been around for a good 6-7 years, it was one of the first in the area and has improved greatly since it first opened. They use a standard KM setup with the egyptian bowl, but shisha is great (during the day). I say this because the staff work shifts, and after around 7pm the shift changes to a moody old man who has no clue about making shisha, so if you plan to visit this place, go during the day. They have AF and some Starbuzz. They have both coconut coals and the old fashioned wooden coals, and are very attentive. However, I don't think they clean their hoses. I give this 8/10.

UPDATE - I can no longer recommend Sahara Lounge. Main reason being that the shisha quality has decreased, become more or less tasteless and gets harsh too quick. I assume they overpack the egyption heads and squash it down too much. Not only that, the place gets too squashy at busy times and they force you to move to accommodate others and it becomes less and less enjoyable. I drop my score to a 6.

Red Sky - only thing it has going for it is the atmosphere. I visited with my girlfriend and the lids of all the flavours were open from the previous night. The tables were dirty too. As well as this, the hookahs weren't cleaned, I could smell the stench of the smoke in the pipe. And a spider crawled on my hand from the pipe! The taste, as expected, was dry and tasteless, and had a burnt aftertaste.

Smokin' Aces - 5 coconut coals. One head. Need I say more? They have no clue about shisha. As well as being illegal (in the U.K it is illegal to smoke indoors unless it's your own home), it's very dark, gloomy and rather expensive. Avoid.

MIA Lounge - this place is fairly new, started off well, but as popularity increases, so does the ego; not to mention the price. Service is absolutely terrible, especially on Fridays and Saturdays. You get ignored, and have to BEG for coal. AF shisha was £15 last time I went. Not worth the journey there, or the atmosphere. Save your money.

Tiger Bay - been here handful of times, it has never been beyond 'O.K' and that was once. They are incredibly stingy with flavour, as you will notice with lack of clouds and minimal taste. Service is pisspoor and they make you feel like you are bothering them by simply asking for coal (coal service is just as terrible). It's one of those places that is always packed and has the image that it's great, hell they even have an advert on YouTube that makes it 'look' good, but when it comes down to the actual shisha, it's terrible. I know from a source that they don't clean the hookahs regularly or change the water in the base. AVOID.

Namaste Lounge - i'll keep this one short and (sweet?), dirty hookahs dirty place. Webs/dirt/dust in between cushion seats and flys/insects everywhere. I looked through the hose and low and behold it was disgusting, full of dirt. Avoid.

Everest Lounge - Honeypot Lane - I have been going here more often in the last 6 months or so as it is close to my place of work. It is a big place, can easily fit 150 people or so. They use KM cafe style like most London lounges. Coal service is like the other Everest - they come around every half an hour and blow off the coal. When you ask them for new coals, they give you ONE. Shisha has a light and clean taste, and they do clean the hookahs and pipes BUT they definately underpack, as 3 cococoals fail to heat the shisha and gives quite measly smoke. They use Egyptian heads. I wish they would not be so stingy, I am sure the American lounges are not like this as I see a few offering unlimited hookah (that would be amazing in the UK). They also take a good 20 minutes to prepare, mainly because they are talking and lounging around. For the owners it is a hang out place. Overall I give it a 6/10. UPDATE: Sadly i can no longer recommend them at all. They have started using fake AF which seriously pisses me off because they were the only place around here with a clean taste. My favourite AF mint has been replaced with a disgusting tasting fake mint, as well as other flavours. I also suspect they re-use unburnt tobacco as last few times i went i could taste similar to when i re use a head from a previous night. 0/10 - have some dignity and respect for your customers!!

Black Leaf - Colindale - This place has been open a good few months, and they serve Starbuzz and AF, great service BUT big downside - they use a tiny Egyptian bowl that gets harsh very quick. I have been here 4 times and it was the same each time, regardless of whether it was AF or SB. After about 20 minutes you taste nothing but coal. I assume they overpack. Juices also drip into the water. Again, KM cafe style. 6/10.

Shishawi - Edgware Road - For those of you who don't know, Edgware Road in Central London is shisha central, in terms of the amount of 'front of restaurant' shisha areas. There are many, I think at least 15-20 last I tried counting. They are all traditional with the wooden coals and Arabic set-up with KM cafe, foil wind cover etc. The shisha itself is average, has an authentic taste as if you were in Egypt, but it's old news now there are better, contemporary options we are used to. Flavour dies very quick and gets harsh. This is the same for most on Edgware Road. Service in Shishawi is lacking too; if you aren't Arabic, expect poor service. 5/10.

28/07/17 - Update to add more reviews

Zanzibar - Edgware - well I have been to this place enough times now to rate it. It is a modern place owned by the same guy as the everests. Shisha is of a good quality. Standard KM cafe set up with egyptian/phunnels. Solid taste and well made up to my own personal standards. However I was let down by seeing the state of some hoses. There is dirt on the inside of the pipe both at the top where you inhale and the bottom where it is connected to the stem. Aside from this service is very good and consistent. Staff very friendly. They serve AF, Starbuzz, Tangiers and Fumari but very expensive as you go higher. I will give them 8/10.

These are my honest opinions, which haven't been allowed on so called 'trusted review' websites such as shishaspot and shishalovers (two shisha review websites). I posted several reviews which were wholeheartedly honest, but were either not approved, or simply deleted. They clearly have some kind of deal with some lounges.

Remember, there are other lounges with average shisha, which are completely in between the ones I have listed, but I cannot recommend them, nor can I spite them.

I hope this thread helps someone, especially those in London (North West), and hopefully it will give our friends around the world, especially the USA, an insight into just how lucky they are!

Last edited by LondonShishaPro; July 28th, 2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM
Dave_s
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Dave_s
Default Re: My take on shisha/hookah lounges in London, England + reviews of a few

Nice review, congrats!
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:32 AM
jasongvl
Hookah Nut

Spot on mate. I completely agree with your opinions. I haven't actually come across a shisha lounge in the uk that I'll defo return to.
Tbh I go to various eastern/ African countries that are known for their shisha and I have only come across a small handful of places who remotely know what they are doing with their shisha service. Many are poor heat management, overpacked bowls or poor set-ups. Would love to try the places in the states.
Old May 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM
Bonkerz
Hookah Nut

Default Re: My take on shisha/hookah lounges in London, England + reviews of a few

I never knew lounges in London were that bad!
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM
Dave_s
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Dave_s

I've never been to one at all. I'm more than happy to smoke at home
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:22 PM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongvl View Post
Spot on mate. I completely agree with your opinions. I haven't actually come across a shisha lounge in the uk that I'll defo return to.
Tbh I go to various eastern/ African countries that are known for their shisha and I have only come across a small handful of places who remotely know what they are doing with their shisha service. Many are poor heat management, overpacked bowls or poor set-ups. Would love to try the places in the states.
Yeah I agree, they are the ones who created hookahs/shisha as well as Indians, but it has been perfected now and those places just don't cut it anymore. Of course, if you want an authentic experience, then these places are perfect. Same! May take a trip over there just for the shisha lounges and products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerz View Post
I never knew lounges in London were that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_s View Post
Nice review, congrats!
Thanks bro!
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Bonkerz
Hookah Nut

You definitely need to try a few lounges out in Bradford
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:55 PM
carlito
Hookah Newbie

Maybe you can do every friday organize a party * free ladies so that the boys come and spend mlney here in Holland the most of the lounges got every friday or saturday a night like that and when girls are comming than you 100% sure that money also comming and i think thats important when you open a lounge
Old May 22nd, 2013, 04:06 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerz View Post
You definitely need to try a few lounges out in Bradford
What kind of setup do they have? PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito View Post
Maybe you can do every friday organize a party * free ladies so that the boys come and spend mlney here in Holland the most of the lounges got every friday or saturday a night like that and when girls are comming than you 100% sure that money also comming and i think thats important when you open a lounge
Lol but that still wouldn't make the shisha good
Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
pavan-07
Hookah Newbie

Haha I been Everest quite a few times and smoked SB at the end walk out and have a migraine.. That place has made me hate SB. First time I tried it and wasn't pleasant at all.

If you want to try shisha lounges well there are many in Edgware but hardly travel there. Try Carlton lounge(busy area enjoy the seating and the environment perfect casual smoke and always meet people you know).. Secondly I'd advise you to try the Everest in honeypot pretty decent just opened up a month or two ago. Thirdly I'd say funky browns but I just hate the low uncomfortable seating hence why I don't go there anyone(also ordered a signature mix they recommend and hated it last 30 minutes and it was dead waste of money "passion fruit" was the flavour name with passion fruit in the base was nothing special better original.

I go to smoke in lounges often like to have a change of scenery any recommendation to other places?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:12 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_s View Post
Nice review, congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavan-07 View Post
Haha I been Everest quite a few times and smoked SB at the end walk out and have a migraine.. That place has made me hate SB. First time I tried it and wasn't pleasant at all.

If you want to try shisha lounges well there are many in Edgware but hardly travel there. Try Carlton lounge(busy area enjoy the seating and the environment perfect casual smoke and always meet people you know).. Secondly I'd advise you to try the Everest in honeypot pretty decent just opened up a month or two ago. Thirdly I'd say funky browns but I just hate the low uncomfortable seating hence why I don't go there anyone(also ordered a signature mix they recommend and hated it last 30 minutes and it was dead waste of money "passion fruit" was the flavour name with passion fruit in the base was nothing special better original.

I go to smoke in lounges often like to have a change of scenery any recommendation to other places?
When did you last go? They have changed a lot in the last few months; they finally have good heaters, use coconut coal, and as for the migraines, Starbuzz is very strong, hits me sometimes even at home. Try it again at home maybe and mix it with a bit of AF mint. But yeah as I said, worst thing about everest is the coal service.

You mean Edgware Road right? They are all rubbish! They are 'authentic' but by no means good. I have given at least 5 different places in Edgware Road a try but none of them were better than average. Dirty pipes, harsh constantly and poor service.

Oh dear, you've just reminded me to add Carlton Lounge/Tiger Bay to the list of places to avoid! Atmosphere is great, seating is great, desserts are great and so is the food from the main restaurant. However, the shisha is abysmal. I've been there 4-5 times since it opened, and I only recently found out they don't clean the base or change the water for weeks sometimes, and they don't clean the pipes either. As well as that, they only pack the bowl lightly, so there isn't much flavour, and you need 4 cococoals just to start it. Avoid! I know from a source about their poor hygiene, and their service is just as bad especially when it's busy.

Been there once when it opened (Honeypot Everest), the price puts me off and as it's the same owners as the Wealdstone Everest, which means the coal service is the same, but as I said only been there once!

You mean Funky Brownz in Hendon? If so, I also avoid that place as they still use the quick light coals, and yes the seating is very annoying!

I suggest for you to try going to Everest again (Wealdstone) but tell them from the outset that you want 2 fresh lit coals everytime they change it, as you're paying £12 i'm sure they'll do it. And Sahara Lounge in Stanmore during the day, and ask for coconut coals. Other than that, I would recommend you get a shisha at home, a lot cheaper and you can invite your friends around and chill
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:26 AM
pavan-07
Hookah Newbie

bhavz what coal do you use and where do you get them from?
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

I use 3 different types of coals. Check your PM

Last edited by LondonShishaPro; June 1st, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old June 1st, 2013, 03:36 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Updated to add short review of Tiger Bay.
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:41 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Added short review for Namaste Lounge.
Old June 27th, 2013, 06:30 AM
TheHappyHookah
Hookah Nut

Great post, and thanks. This is a keeper. I'm in London usually once a year and would love to know a good lounge to go to the next time I'm there.

Last edited by TheHappyHookah; June 27th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 03:43 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyHookah View Post
Great post, and thanks. This is a keeper. I'm in London usually once a year and would love to know a good lounge to go to the next time I'm there.
No problem bro. Glad it's of use to you. I'll be updating it with a lot more reviews soon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Runner
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:20 PM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

I have added 3 more reviews for my fellow Londoners and others. Again these are my own opinions based on what I can do myself at home, with little effort and a pretty standard set-up. If people are paying £12-15 for a relaxing shisha, I think they deserve good service and great shisha!
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:38 PM
fez888
Hookah Nut

Hey man, nice write up. Ever since I started smoking at home, I cannot smoke at lounges anymore. I went to one lounge in Leicester, saw all the hype man and the next day, went back to London and got a KM. Everytime I go out with my friends to the lounge it feels if I dampen the mood as I end up criticizing.

Any lounge in Edgeware Road, if your not Arab (even if you speak arabic) you get treated like crap. I'll have to add though that Banq lounge in Tottenham is pretty good, well run with good service. Another lounge is Lotus lounge in Ilford, where Kalouds and Tangiers phunnels are used. Price is the "london standard" £14-16 per head.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:18 PM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez888 View Post
Hey man, nice write up. Ever since I started smoking at home, I cannot smoke at lounges anymore. I went to one lounge in Leicester, saw all the hype man and the next day, went back to London and got a KM. Everytime I go out with my friends to the lounge it feels if I dampen the mood as I end up criticizing.

Any lounge in Edgeware Road, if your not Arab (even if you speak arabic) you get treated like crap. I'll have to add though that Banq lounge in Tottenham is pretty good, well run with good service. Another lounge is Lotus lounge in Ilford, where Kalouds and Tangiers phunnels are used. Price is the "london standard" £14-16 per head.
Thanks man. I completely agree about the criticizing thing, I get the same response when I start complaining with my other half! Yes very true, I have only been a handful of times but highly doubt i'll ever go back. I will have to check Lotus out, sounds like a good set-up and that they know their stuff. It's not too far a drive so I may take a trip! Do they have Tangiers flavours too?
Old May 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM
JonHP
Hookah Nut

If anyone is near the Leeds area, I highly recommend Phantom Lounge. One of the rare lounges that regularly knocks it out the park in terms of quality. Primarily uses AF but does have starbuzz as part of the specials. Although Iwill say that the chances of getting a great session are reduced when it is extremely busy. The rate at which they bring pipes out astonishes me lol. It's £10 for standard AF, £12 for fruit heads and Starbuzz too.

I have found myself paying more attention to the setups/coals things like that rather than just enjoying myself, but being such an avid smoker you get a sense of whats right and wrong lol.
Old May 31st, 2014, 12:24 AM
wannabeee
Hookah Newbie

I completely agree with Mia and Shishawi. You should try to hit up Basra Lounge, its in Park Royal, shisha is good but standard london prices. They do AF / SB and Fantasia. Another lounge which is quite nice is Palm Lounge i think? its in Acton, the seating is nice and the food is amazing - they only do AF and Nakhla DA - which is my normal order - service is average (obvs the areas a shit hole - no offence if anyone is from there but yeah) Beirut Nights is quite good - they use apple on tops and lulava hoses, art hookahs and even meduse hookahs, naturally prices are extortionate but the standard km egyptian heads are decent - service is good at this one, someone will always be around... but like you said I mainly just smoke at home.. cheaper at better lol
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:54 AM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeee View Post
I completely agree with Mia and Shishawi. You should try to hit up Basra Lounge, its in Park Royal, shisha is good but standard london prices. They do AF / SB and Fantasia. Another lounge which is quite nice is Palm Lounge i think? its in Acton, the seating is nice and the food is amazing - they only do AF and Nakhla DA - which is my normal order - service is average (obvs the areas a shit hole - no offence if anyone is from there but yeah) Beirut Nights is quite good - they use apple on tops and lulava hoses, art hookahs and even meduse hookahs, naturally prices are extortionate but the standard km egyptian heads are decent - service is good at this one, someone will always be around... but like you said I mainly just smoke at home.. cheaper at better lol
Basrah Lounge is another place with terrible service. Nice atmosphere and food but shisha on a busy night is average. Haven't been for around 2 years so i may check it out again but i went a good few times. I have heard about Beirut nights, i will have to check that one out too.
Old June 1st, 2014, 02:54 PM
neopl
Hookah Nut

Thanks for the write up. I was looking to visiting some in London in the near future.
Old June 1st, 2014, 04:26 PM
LondonShishaPro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopl View Post
Thanks for the write up. I was looking to visiting some in London in the near future.
No problem bro. These are the reviews that UK shisha review websites won't allow (biased) so all these reviews are completely unbiased.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook