Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Reviews > Shisha / Tobacco

Shisha / Tobacco Reviews of all the different brands of shisha available for smoking in your hookah ...

Ayam Zaman

Shisha / Tobacco

Reply Share

Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Ayam Zaman

Reviews for Ayam Zaman

This section is for reviews only. Any questions and/or comments should be posted in separate threads. Non-review posts or parts of posts deemed not part of the review will be edited out by Mods.

The following can be used as a guideline for your review....

Brand and Flavor:

Shisha Cut:

Hookah Type:

Duration:

Bowl:

Foil / Screen:

Coal / Amount:

Smoke:

Buzz:

Smell / Flavor:

Rating (1 to 10):
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Ayam Zaman

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman Strawberry

Shisha Cut: Medium to large, very moist, red with stems.

Hookah Type: 32" KM

Duration: 1 hour

Bowl: Med funnel, no mod.

Foil / Screen: Foil, single sheet

Coal / Amount: 3X Al Fakher QLs, 3 to heat up 2 to smoke.

Smoke: Thick, good clouds although I don't suggest going for them.

Buzz: Heavy, trouble walking.

Smell / Flavor: The strawberry was more of the background with the peppery tobacco notes in the foreground on some pulls, then reversed on others. The strawberry was a very natural flavor, and more noticeable on the light puffs.

Rating (1 to 10): 8.5/10 Dinged for dye, stems and price. This is nothing like the other HookahHookah tobacco cuts. Very nice tobacco flavors throughout with the strawberry changing places. This is not for anyone who doesn't like Tangiers buzz. It is heavier than Tangiers, although a much more enjoyable and less throat irritating smoke. I had to space out pulls to 1 to 2 minutes with light cigar puffs in between.

Just to add, this requires no special bowl packing technique. Packed the phunnel as I do with any tobacco.

Last edited by Kwikwi; October 23rd, 2008 at 08:57 AM. Reason: ps added
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: Medium to very large leaf pieces, plenty moist but not drippy, a few stems and dyed red

Hookah Type: MZ Perpetual River

Duration: 55 minutes

Bowl: Standard Egyptian Clay Bowl

Foil / Screen: 1 layer of Reynolds HD Foil

Coal / Amount: 1/4 of an Exotica stick and a windcover

Smoke: Very thick, nice clouds!

Buzz: Thumped me hard

Smell / Flavor: Smelled similar to Jagermeister with very spicy notes. Tasted like spices and quality tobacco.

Rating (1 to 10): 9 I had to ding it for the huge cut and red dye. I have to say that I was disappointed that a product that is supposed to be traditional was dyed. This was a very enjoyable smoke. Nice spicy taste, huge clouds, flavor lasted the whole session, and not many stems. The buzz was a real thumpin'. If you chain this you'll be in trouble. If you like tobacco with a buzz, that produces nice clouds and has a nice spicy flavor give this one a try. I highly recommend it
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Ayam Zaman Mint

Shisha Cut: Medium to very large leaf pieces, plenty moist but not drippy, a few stems and dyed red

Buzz: Like a hammer blow to the head. LOL

Smell / Flavor: Smelled like spearmint, not like candy or gum but real spearmint. Tasted like it smelled.

Rating (1 to 10): 8.5 This is supposed to be mint not spearmint. It definately smelled and tasted like spearmint. I deducted for flavor not being as advertised, red dye and some stems. It was a very nice relaxing smoke. Flavor lasted the whole session, nice thump buzz, and thick smoke. If you like buzz and spearmint you should try it. I recommend it.
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Ayam Zaman Watermelon

Buzz: Thump noggin' stumbleville LOL

Smell / Flavor: Smelled kinda like a sour watermelon candy. Tasted like it smelled but less intense.

Rating (1 to 10): 7 This is not my idea of a watermelon shisha tobacco. Watermelon is supposed to be sweet and this isn't sweet at all. It reminded me of Hookah Hookah Watermelon (one of my least favorite watermelon flavors). It redeemed itself by giving a big buzz, not having many stems and producing nice clouds. There are better watermelon flavors out there but none with this much buzz.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Ayam Zaman Strawberry

Buzz: Oh yeah! Don't stand up quick!

Smell / Flavor: Smelled Kinda like a combo of real strawberry, strawberry Bubble Yum and spicy tobacco. Tasted like it smelled.

Rating (1 to 10): 9 This is quite unique for a fruit flavor. At times it had a spicy tobacco flavor and other times real strawberry flavor. It's flavor lasted the whole session, produced big clouds and gave a nice relaxing buzz. Only deduction is the dye. This is one of the best strawberry flavors out there. Not sickening sweet and the spicy tobacco taste in their was great! I recommend it highly.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:38 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin

Brand and Flavor:ayam zaman -lemon

Shisha Cutmed cut, moist and dyed dark red

Hookah Type:31'' syrian

Duration:1hr

Bowl:sm. clay egyptian

Foil / Screen: rhd

Coal / Amount:2 pcs. abu abdo bulk nat.

Smoke:med thickness

Buzz:none

Smell / Flavor:had a mild lemon smell that seemed slightly sweet. The taste is very subtle, which I like. But unfortunately a little synthetic.At times I found hints of natural lemon but primarily this is more of a mildly sweet lemondrop type flavor.

Rating (1 to 10):5- for a brand that is clearly trying to emulate a traditional moassel, I was expecting a not so synthesized flavor. but it could be worse I guess. Of course thanks to SS and HP staff for the sample.
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:46 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: Medium Cut, some larger, red dye, a few stems

Hookah Type: KM Dual metal

Duration: a little over an Hour

Bowl: Small Phunnel + Mod

Foil / Screen: HD Foil

Coal / Amount: 2 Al Awa'el Coco, 1 more at half hour

Smoke: Thick and Smooth

Buzz: Was behind me with my pants around my ankles.

Smell / Flavor: I would say a strong Cardamom-type flavor (without the menthol) mixed with an Anise. Similar to Jager as Dunkel stated, but not so heavy, and sweeter. The flavor was a good balance of anise and the spice. Not too heavy on the flavor, very natural and smooth on the palate. Very enjoyable and classic.

Rating (1 to 10): 8 It's great, but it burned a bit easily for me, and I had to smoke 2 bowls, as the first one was a bit off... I don't exactly know why? It was almost astringent and floral. The second bowl was amazing though! The buzz it way too much for me, and I don't see the point of a buzz that makes you sick to your stomach. I wasn't inhaling about 10 minutes in.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: middle to largish pieces, pretty standard cut these days

Hookah Type: 28" Al Nawras Syrian

Duration: 55 minutes give or take

Bowl: flat bottom Egyptian clay

Foil / Screen: Foil. spiral hole pattern

Coal / Amount: 2x Akhla

Smoke: Plenty... not like crazy thick... but rich satisfying amount... good texture.

Buzz: Bout time someone showed up with the nicotine. I dont usually get a nic-o-kick out of anything but Nakhla... but this stuff brings satisfaction. Nice to see another line "sack up" in this dept.

Smell / Flavor/ Taste: In the pack: very strong smelling. Room note: a prominent room note that smells almost like it does in the pack. The smoke itself tastes like a mixture of Cardamom and Cinnamon.

Rating (1 to 10): 9. Small scratch and dent to due to slow start up. A small amount of patience pays off tho.

Personal notes and impression:

This stuff has impressed me...not something shisha does much of these days. This is a well rounded shisha in that it has a good taste that is not chemically, has a good smoke density with a bitey texture.The smoke is smooth without the scratchy throat. What really impresses me about this stuff is that it puts mainstream fruitiness aside and they developed a spiced based flavor and did it well.... not just something put out there for a variety. Not many people out there are making a masterpiece with spice flavors, and Im impressed that AZ did it... not only good....but DAMN GOOD!

I've been waiting for something like this for years now.

Much thanks to Dunkel and others involved for sendin this out to me to get a taste of it!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Brand and Flavor: 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: Standard cut, very juicy

Hookah Type: KM

Duration: bout an hour

Bowl: Phunnel

Foil / Screen: 1 sheet reynolds hd

Coal / Amount: CH Nats, 3

Smoke: medium

Buzz: this is on par with desi murli, huge buzz! stay seated

Smell / Flavor: spice and tobacco flavors...very good

Rating (1 to 10): 9.5 due to the amount of juice! i thought this was old style
Old January 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
ByronSA
Hookah Pro

Brand and Flavor: strawberry

Shisha Cut: Standard cut, very juicy

Duration: bout an hour

Bowl: Phunnel

Foil / Screen: 1 sheet reynolds hd

Coal / Amount: CH Nats, 3

Smoke: medium

Buzz: this is on par with desi murli, huge buzz! stay seated

Smell / Flavor: smelled amazing, i love the small of this strawberry, it's very natural smelling...however the taste wasn't so strawberry-y, it was kinda like the 1001 nights mixed with a little bit of strawberry flavor

Rating (1 to 10): 7.5, due to juicyness, dye, and wasn't exactly strawberry flavor

Last edited by ByronSA; March 1st, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
JillyIsJustKidding
Deleted Per User Request

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman Strawberry

Shisha Cut: medium cut. Water based shisha just like HF and HH. Dyed light red

Hookah Type: KM Fifa

Duration: 40minutes

Bowl: phunnel with mod

Foil / Screen: 2 layers of reynolds

Coal / Amount: 1/3 coal amount

Smoke: medium thick

Buzz: none to tell the truth

Smell / Flavor: smells like an artificial strawberry with spicy notes. Flavor is the same. pleh im not very fond of this kind of shisha

Rating (1 to 10): 6.9/10 Video review coming soon!
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman Mint

Shisha Cut: Medium, dark red color

Hookah Type: Mya QT

Duration: 30 minutes roughly

Foil / Screen: HD

Coal / Amount: 3 Awa'el

Smoke: Thick, medium density, medium-quick dissipation

Buzz: Jesus.

Smell / Flavor: Double-Mint Gum. The flavor is bitter, a thicker mint flavor with the slight buttery notes of Spearmint, and the thick feeling of Spearmint. The flavor is more bitter then I would like, and I think it should be worked on, even take out the spearmint completely. You get the feeling of "too much spearmint", where your mouth is watering but you just don't want more. It's a stable flavor, but I prefer peppermint or Tangiers Mint. I do like spearmint, but not when it is so unrefined. Unfortunately, i could not sense any tobacco notes, which is what I thought would be very interesting.

Rating (1 to 10): 7/10 . It's a mediocre mint, I can't say I prefer it over my favorite mints though. I would not recommend this as a mint either. Spearmint doesn't mix well, it's best left alone. Sorry Double-Mint Twins, maybe another time.

Thanks to Dunkel and the MODs and SaharaSmoke for the sample!
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Brand and Flavor: AZ 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: Medium some small mushy parts and some HUGE leaves...averaged out to about a medium cut.

Hookah Type: 40" KM

Duration: 70 minutes

Bowl: Medium Tangiers plus Mod

Foil / Screen: Single layer HD, shiny down, triple circle of rings.

Coal / Amount: Took so much heat....5 exotica silver tabs + wind cover once they died down a bit.

Smoke: LOW<...........|....>HIGH;About there on the thickness scale

Buzz: Concussion-like. Heart racing. For the first time I smoked it anyway. Then it mellowed out.

Smell / Flavor: Very strong anise smell. Taste was very anise-y with mild undertones of other spices. Not an in your face flavor, but an enjoyable one.

Rating (1 to 10): My first smoke gave me the throat tickle, so i acclimated it and the throat tickle lessened but I still get it with this shisha. Taking off two points for the tickle and one point for the price, granted I got it on the 12th day of Xmas, but still. 7/10.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
sweetlake
Hookah Pro

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman 1001 nights

Shisha Cut: medium

Hookah Type: Sahara smoke small hookah with nammor hose

Duration: about 60 minutes

Bowl: chinese bowl

Foil / Screen: foil

Coal / Amount: quick light belgian charcoal

Smoke: thick good smoke

Buzz: I think it was a good buzz, allthough some people might think it is to strong

Smell / Flavor: Flavor is really good, its different then a lot of flavours I have tried. I might compare it with Starbuzz X-mas mix. But I like this one a lot better.

Rating (1 to 10): I would rate it with a 9. I liked this a lot because it is completely different then most flavours. I have ordered another 500 gram but it is hard to get in Europe.

I would love to try the strawberry version someday.
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:46 AM
merchantofmenac
Hookah Nut

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman 1001 nights

Shisha Cut: Very fine and very wet. Even the stems were soaked through and soggy.

Hookah Type: 34 inch Km Anubis from Hookah-Shisha.com

Duration: About 1 hour

Bowl: Tangiers funnel bowl

Foil / Screen: Regular foil with circular pattern of small holes

Coal / Amount: 4 coco noras

Smoke: fairly thick smoke about an 8/10

Buzz: This is where i was extremely dissappointed. After reading some of the reviews here by some of the more seasoned members stating that the buzz was very significant and speaking with saharasmoke customer service who said over and over again that it had them stumbling after smoking it i decided to spend the 40 bucks on the 500 gram pack. Unfortunately there was no buzz to speak of.....NONE WHAT SO EVER...i tried a bowl of classic Nakhla Double Apple afterwards and felt the Al-Nakhla buzz but none with the Ayam Zaman. I've ordered some Desi Murli from Kamal at Hookah1 i've heard that it has a "knock you on your a$$ buzz to go with it...i only hope that the hype around DM is not just hype as it turned out, atleast for me, with the Ayam Zaman. If you want a good buzz imo stay away from Ayam Zaman, stick with Al Nakhla or Tangeirs....i'll post a review for DM once i get some from Kamal

Smell / Flavor: The smell is very spicey and a welcome change from all the fruity flavors. I'm no spice expert but the smell is not overwhelming. The flavor is excellent...this is where i felt that i hadn't totally wasted my money. Although there was no buzz the flavor made up for it a little bit. I'm pretty sure my batch will not go to waste. The flavor was excellent and exactly what the shisha smelt like. Classic spicey taste and as mentioned before a very welcome change from the fruity flavors.

Rating (1 to 10): Although i loved the flavor i feel that Ayam Zaman did not deliver what i bought it for, the buzz. Because of lack of any buzz to speak of i am giving it a 7/10....i would've gone with a much lower rating (5/10) but the flavor being as excellent as it is i could not justify going with such a low score.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: Medium Cut, some larger, red dye, a few stems

Hookah Type: KM Dual metal

Duration: a little over an Hour

Coal / Amount: 2 Al Awa'el Coco, 1 more at half hour

Buzz: Was behind me with my pants around my ankles.

Smell / Flavor: I would say a strong Cardamom-type flavor (without the menthol) mixed with an Anise. Similar to Jager as Dunkel stated, but not so heavy, and sweeter. The flavor was a good balance of anise and the spice. Not too heavy on the flavor, very natural and smooth on the palate. Very enjoyable and classic.

Rating (1 to 10): 8 It's great, but it burned a bit easily for me, and I had to smoke 2 bowls, as the first one was a bit off... I don't exactly know why? It was almost astringent and floral. The second bowl was amazing though! The buzz it way too much for me, and I don't see the point of a buzz that makes you sick to your stomach. I wasn't inhaling about 10 minutes in.
UPDATE

Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: Medium Cut, some larger, a few stems, clumpy

Hookah Type: AF Syrian

Duration: 2 hours

Bowl: Small Phunnel

Coal / Amount: Altogether 5CH Nats

Buzz: Minimal

Smell / Flavor: Cardamom was wrong, the flavor is definitely Spearmint, upfront but no menthol feeling, light flavor. Anise is not noticeable, even with 3 coals. Light sweet molasses flavor. Very herbal notes laced with a leathery spice I cannot put my finger on at the moment, hard to discern based on the spearmint.

Rating (1 to 10): 10 Updated as I see my palate has evolved, I enjoy this flavor even more after having smoked SS Seasonal. A great alternative to the not-so-readily available boutique Syrian blends. Everyone must try. This does NOT smoke like a traditional moassel, it smokes like any other al fakher/starbuzz/etc.
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Drewzi
Hookah Pro

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights

Shisha Cut: thick cut with some stems, surprising died for some reason.

Hookah Type: Mya Colossus

Duration: 1 hour

Bowl: Vortex

Foil / Screen: Single layered foil

Coal / Amount: 2 coconaras

Smoke: Thick with a nice texture

Buzz: medium buzz

Smell / Flavor: smells like spice and anise. It is really complex with the end of your exhale tasting like spearmint and a tad anise. There are notes of cinnamon throughout your exhale also. There are deeper flavor levels and since i have been smoking for a hour my tongue is having trouble putting a name to them.

Rating (1 to 10): 9 this is an amazing smoke, i docked it half a point for the smell it gives off while being smoked because it could bother some people (especially the non smokers). I am also docking it half a point for the price. However it is nice to have something stateside that can rival DM in complexity.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM
linerndunch110
Hookah Master

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman Sttawberry

Shisha Cut: medium cut. very natural looking. dyed and leafy

Hookah Type: 28" KM Americana

Duration: hour and a half

Bowl: vortec

Foil / Screen: 1 layer HD

Coal / Amount: 2 Coco's + WC

Smoke: HUGGGEEE

Buzz: I didnt experience as big as a buzz as some, but definitely a huge one

Smell / Flavor: Really smooth strawberry, with tobacco/molasass undertones. smells awesome!! This is a truly amazing moussel. this smokes perfectly. smooth the whole way through, although about halfway through, the strawberry became less prominent and you got a natural tobacco impression. A really awesome moussel!!

Rating (1 to 10): Hands down 10/10. this was amazing. Im horrified for my bank account seeing as AZ comes in 50g and 1k sizes.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via MSN to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx Send a message via Skype™ to xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerndunch110 View Post
Rating (1 to 10): Hands down 10/10. this was amazing. Im horrified for my bank account seeing as AZ comes in 50g and 1k sizes.
Just a quick correction, AZ only comes in 50g pucks and 500g tins.
Anyways, on to my review:

Brand and Flavour: Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights
Cut: Fine medium cut, very few stems
Hookah: 28in Handmade Egyptian
Foil/screen: Single layer of HD
Coals: 3 Coco's, WC on and off as heat management
Smoke: EPIC
Buzz: Pretty damn good!!
Smell/Flavour: Reminds me a lot of HH 7Spice with nice unwashed tobacco undertones. Flavour is nice and smooth all the way through the session, lost a little of the flavour towards the end of though bringing out more of the natural tobacco tones.

All in all though, it's a definite 8/10.

KM 34" Single Pear | KM 32" Halzone | KM 30" Carnaval

Last edited by xH00K4HxSN1P3Rx; July 23rd, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old August 21st, 2010, 02:01 AM
Mike
Hookah Enthusiast

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman Double Apple

Shisha Cut: Medium cut/very moist

Hookah Type: Large Mod Super Hookah

Duration: 1-1.5 hours

Foil / Screen: Single layer heavy-duty Reynolds Wrap

Coal / Amount: 3 Coco Naras

Smoke: Nice thick clouds

Buzz: Slight buzz

Smell / Flavor: Not bad at all. I can definitely detect all DA traces. A nice apple flavor alongside the aniseed. Worth a try for any Double Apple lover.

Rating (1 to 10): 8/10

Video Review:
Shisha Review - Ayam Zaman Double Apple

Smoke On!!!

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:42 PM
livefast
Hookah Nut

**note: This is my first review please forgive me if it isn't perfect.

Brand and Flavor:
Ayam Zaman Strawberry

Shisha Cut: no stems in my puck, medium cut, pretty dang juicy

Hookah Type: KM Quad Pearl with sahara nemesis vase and nammor hose

Duration: roughly an hour and a half. Forgot when I started smoking so I took an educated guess.

Foil / Screen: single layer reynolds hd with three ring pattern

Coal / Amount: three coco naras

Smoke: super thick great for tricks

Buzz:very light buzz for me but I smoke tangiers almost daily

Smell / Flavor: Smells like strawberry and tastes almost identical to the smell

Rating (1 to 10): I'll give this a 9 it has a really good traditional flavor, nice light buzz, and who doesn't love the thick clouds.

Final note: I can't wait for sahara smoke to make this available in a more reasonable sized package and maybe a bit of a decrease in price would be nice
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:39 PM
zlj1989
Hookah Nut

Shisha Cut: Medium thick cut with a lot of juice

Hookah Type: KM Heart of the Lion Trimetal

Duration: 1.5 hours

Foil / Screen: Foil

Coal / Amount: 2 rounds of 1/3 stick of Exotica

Smoke: Medium thick

Buzz: Small to medium buzz

Smell / Flavor: Good smell that was like spearmint with some spices...even better flavor

Rating (A to F): B

Old August 31st, 2010, 11:25 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Shisha Cut: Potentially full leaves, clumpy. I had leaves as big as my hand. I thought this was really cool

Duration: 60 min

Bowl: vortex

Foil / Screen: HD foil

Coal / Amount: 3 nats

Smoke: Good

Buzz: OH YA

Smell / Flavor: Earthy, spicy, middle-Eastern taste too good for words (and I can't pinpoint it)

Rating (1 to 10): 10
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:27 PM
chewymatingcall
Hookah Pro

Brand and Flavor: Ayam Zaman Lemon

Shisha Cut: Potentially full leaves, clumpy. I had leaves as big as my hand. I thought this was really cool

Duration: 60 min

Bowl: vortex

Foil / Screen: HD foil

Coal / Amount: 3 nats

Smoke: Good

Buzz: OH YA

Smell / Flavor: Natural taste with tobacco. Not strong enough but amazing on a french inhale. Taste 9, intensity 4

Rating (1 to 10): 8.5
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook