Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah for Gift - Need Help

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM
CasSmo
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah for Gift - Need Help

Hello everyone! First post here.
I actually haven't smoked a hookah before (to be rectified), but my girlfriend has on occasion. Her birthday is approaching and she had mentioned she had always wanted her own hookah, so I'm here asking for some advice.

So...I'm trying to stay under $100. It's unlikely she'll ever smoke alone; more likely, it'll be at least a small group. With that in mind, I was thinking 2 or 3 hoses for convenience (or at least a single hose hookah that can have additional hoses added later). I'd also like it to be of good quality.

I've been looking around for a bit, and a few I'm thinking about right now are the 23" MYA Acrylic, 26" Sphinx from hookah-shisha, and the 22" Nile from hookah-shisha. I'm thinking of also adding on a heba diffuser.

Any comments/advice on the ones I've mentioned or any other suitable hookahs will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:25 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Hookah for Gift - Need Help

For multi hoses MYA is the way to go,

HOWEVER...most people here agree that single hose hookahs like KMs/NOUR syrians are far superior to any Chinese multihosed hookah.

John at ************* has Nour syrian Bs on sale right now...today is the last day I think...might wanna check that out.

Just a thought ^_^
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:26 PM
kingboyb
Banned

ugh. Mya Acrylic? Take a look at the MZ monsterpack or maybe a nice Syrian from *************.. you could probably pick up coals and tobacco and slide under $100 with shipping...
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:11 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Get a single hose and tell them to pass the hose.

Get a syrian from john at ******* hookah, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The generic syrians are better than Mya, i have a mya, its nice, its ok, but my syrians smoke better. The only reason i have it is because it conveniently breaks down into a discrete case. A straight stem usually is more attractive and ends up being thicker than the mya stem.

My syrians and my KM smoke like the exhaust of a 65 hearse. (at least when its burning right)

My Mya, is kinda like a prius, it starts smoking thick when somethings wrong.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:11 PM
Kwikwi
Hookah Guru

If your set on a multi hose stay away from any KM, MZ or Nour. MYA is a fine choice for a multi hose your just going to be hard pressed to find one under $100 to do what you want with any quality.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:28 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i like myas, as to multi hose hookahs, i have one and the auto seal is a joke and friends dont pay attention to plug their hose.

myas are set up to change the purge valve to a 2nd hose port and also if she has not smoked much and you havent smoked before you dont need more than 1 hose (you will not be able to smoke that much at first and also it keeps convos going better with groups. also auto seal make it harder to pull ingeneral

there is a big debate about the diffuser and the biggest thing that is agreed on is that it makes it quieter other than that its just kinda what people make of it. also you can save the money and make one

-matt
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
CasSmo
Hookah Newbie

Thanks for the help so far. I'll post back with what I eventually decide on.

Is it just me or are KMs hard to find? Not seeing many at online stores.
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Yeah...see the post entitled something like "state of the hookah union address"...

Basically KM imports have slowed waaaaaaay down.

^_^
Old November 3rd, 2008, 07:24 PM
CasSmo
Hookah Newbie

Won't actually be placing the order till a little later this month, so I have time to contemplate.

So after your comments, I'm thinking maybe the single hose may be the way to go (and maybe get a bamboo turntable from target to make it a rotating hookah).

Now, I'm considering Nour Syrians, other Syrians (such as the H-S engineer), KMs (from gothookahs), MZs (from CH), or possibly the MYA Bambino with a phunnel added. Read a lot of good comments on it, and FarBeyondDriven's Bambino video was pretty impressive. Not to mention, it would save some money for other stuff.

Thanks again for the help, even though now my choices seem to be expanding and becoming more difficult to choose :-)
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:58 AM
fashow69
Hookah Nut

whats with all the may acrylic hate?? I personally loved my mya acrylic it smoked amazingly well even when I had it set on 2 hose or 3 hose, and I got it for under 100.. If I was you casmo just get yourself a nice mya acrylic with 3 extra AUTO SEAL VALVE hose ports and you be good to go you can get all that for about 100 flat im sure.
Old November 5th, 2008, 01:47 PM
BugAreNotOnMe

A very simple question actually: KM.

Tom
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:00 PM
RushN24
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugAreNotOnMe View Post
A very simple question actually: KM.

Tom

I agree... if its a single hose there are KM's for under $100 if you can find any around, and the quality is far superior to any other hookah I've smoked. I've never tried a multi hose tho so I'm not sure where to go for that
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM
highlight
Hookah Nut

I'm completely content supporting the mya. I can put 4 hoses in if I want or just one... My Mya smokes like a champ, but did drop over 100!
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Kalkail
Hookah Nut

There are still a couple of HP supporting vendors that have KMs in stock for less than $100 after discount code. I just got one of my own for about $93 and it shipped free once I added shisha to the order. If that is your price range I would go for the upgrade. While I have nothing disparaging to say about Mya, as I have limited experience with them, I will say the idea of an acrylic base doesn't ring true to me. I'm sure it's probably efficient for parties so maybe consideration should be taken as to what the day to day use of the hookah will be.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Fezzik
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to Fezzik Send a message via Yahoo to Fezzik

There have been multiple discussions about this. The big brands for Hookahs are like the big brands of anything else. You pretty well know you are getting good quality but for the most part you are paying for a brand name. Check the vendors in the vendor section. A few of those have really good prices. Check the vendor codes section for even better deals. Also look around there are possible deals to be had at discount tobacco shops and middle eastern or Mediterranean groceries that will have killer deals on well made hookahs. The pipes are really fairly simple so the biggest thing to look for and at are the seals. I guess it isn't talked about much but really that is what it boils down to. Quality is based on the width of the hoses, stem, and base as well as the air tightness of the pipe. If you get those two things and a material that won't oxidize in water then you are set. It is all relative too. The pipes I have smoked on so far aren't fancy, don't have wide hoses, or a particularly wide stem or anything like that they are low end really basic hookahs and I have to say I enjoy the experience a great deal. Would I enjoy it more with a Cadillac of hookahs? Probably but you can start out with about anything. Hoses are cheap, bowls are cheap, and better stems wouldn't be too bad so upgrading a starter hookah isn't the most expensive or difficult thing to do. I know that the Hookah my wife bought me cost 50 bucks with a ton of accessories and is a 32 inch. Do I expect it to be the best hookah in the world no but based on descriptions it is a lot better than the ones we have been smoking. So I am happy as punch. Will I buy a different bowl? Sure I already have my eye on the Vortex bowl. I already upgraded the hose or at least bought a washable version of the one that is on there. But none of that is going to be tough or expensive.

MZ, KM, or whatever is great. You know what you are getting but dude look around get what you can afford if you can look it over make sure it is decently wide enough to get good smoke and spend the rest on 50g shisha samples.
Old November 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalkail View Post
There are still a couple of HP supporting vendors that have KMs in stock for less than $100 after discount code. I just got one of my own for about $93 and it shipped free once I added shisha to the order. If that is your price range I would go for the upgrade. While I have nothing disparaging to say about Mya, as I have limited experience with them, I will say the idea of an acrylic base doesn't ring true to me. I'm sure it's probably efficient for parties so maybe consideration should be taken as to what the day to day use of the hookah will be.
where was that from?
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM
CasSmo
Hookah Newbie

Well. I went with a 23" Nour Syrian. It looks great. She loves it, and made her day, which had been going horribly. She thinks it's the perfect height, and she loves the green vase. She was amazed that it came with everything but coal (including a carrying bag and metal screen) -- she wasn't aware that a lot of online stores include this stuff.

Smoked it 3 times so far. Not bad at all. It's certainly her favorite hookah among those she has used.

Thanks for all of the input.

Hmmm....I may need to get myself a hookah now..........
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:27 AM
CPill
Hookah Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to CPill

Congratulations! So glad that it all turned out well for you guys. post some pictures of the beast for all to see!
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook