xvideo24.net
Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > General Yada-Yada

General Yada-Yada For discussion not related to hookah specifically ...

Computer Geeks opinions wanted

General Yada-Yada

Reply Share

Old August 18th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Default Computer Geeks opinions wanted

In the near future I will be replacing my old computer. Here is what I have now...

Dell Inspiron 531S

2.3GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400

2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

64MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce 6150SE

250GB, 7,200 rpm

16x dual-layer DVD burner

Windows Vista Home Premium

I do not need a super duper all the bells and whistles gaming computer. I mainly just surf the web, play some games on FB, and watch videos on YouTube. I don't download music or movies. My requirements are a bit more of everything listed, and a computer that can be laid on it's side. I don't need a keyboard, monitor, printer etc. Just looking for a reasonably priced tower (I guess that's what they're called). Thanks in advance for any help.
Old August 18th, 2013, 12:24 PM
mohit02
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Computer Geeks opinions wanted

how much you looking to spend?
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit02 View Post
how much you looking to spend?
$500 or less
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

It sounds to me personally like anything just about would be a good enough upgrade for you. Personally to start off I would sit hit Newegg and see if there is anything specifically that would tickle your fancy. I already did a bit of the work for you and did a search for a slim tower and arranged it by lowest price first HERE. Hopefully you can at least get a better idea from that.
Old August 20th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Von Rottes
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Von Rottes

Hm, Maybe looks at Microcenter they usually have decent deals on prebuilts.

Or if you feel like tackling it, build your own.
Get a basic Mother board, USED CPU, "cheap" RAM
and look for sales and combo deals.

You can build a much better computer for $500 than what you can buy for $500.

Brands I like are:
Gigabyte ~ boards
AMD ~ chips
Kingston ~ RAM and SSD
Western digital ~ HDD
Thermaltake ~ PSU
Sapphire ~ GPU
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

I havent built a PC in some time and have been out of the loop, you computer guys in the know, throw together some sub $500 builds for dunk to check out, if you would be so kind.

- MustangII on IMC
Old August 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
ADRUNKK
Hookah Aficionado

I'll take a look at this during lunch in about 1 hour. I was supposed to write my homie in jail a letter, but he can wait. It's not like he's going anywhere.

Quick question Dunkel, could you build a computer if you were given a list of parts to buy? Or would you prefer something pre-built?

Last edited by ADRUNKK; August 23rd, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
ADRUNKK
Hookah Aficionado

I couldn't wait for lunch time. It's the computer nerd in me. I threw this together really quick. If you would like to go something similar to this route i can spend a couple hours and get you better rated components at a better price (although every component except for the case was rated 4 or 5 stars). Maybe even find a bundle deal at a better price.

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard = Approx $85

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157304

Kingston HyperX Blu Red Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model KHX16C10B1R/8 = Approx $55.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104338

Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470 = Approx $200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115234

Seagate NL35 ST3400832NS 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" 24x7 working Hard Drive (Refurb) = Approx $40.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148859

Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Intel Haswell Fully Compatible= Approx $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371004

Rosewill FB-03 Dual Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with 1x Front 120mm Fan, 1x Rear 80mm Fan= Approx $55

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147181

So since you already have a computer you might be able to save some money and get some better components by recycling your old power supply, case, and or hard drive. I would highly reccomend a solid state drive but they are quite pricey. A solid state will make everything load super quick. A solid state is the number one most noticeable thing in my opinion.

I didn't include a DVD player. They are a dime a dozen. You can pick up any old one for 20 bucks, or use the one off your old computer.

I also didnt include a video card. THe CPU has integrated graphics but i would recommend dropping a hundo or two on a decent videocard down the road and you would enjoy your computer a lot more if your a you tube nut.

You'll also need to buy Window's. I haven't had to buy Windows in the last 5 years so i always forget to include that in the build price. I'm not even sure what Window's cost right now.

Again this was a quick 20 minute build, if your interested in something like this i can spend some more time and get you the dopest deal possible for your price range. I wouldnt do it until your ready to pull the trigger tho, because deals change daily. If/when you want to go this route PM me, or reply back in this thread like a day or two before you want to get er done.

Last edited by ADRUNKK; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:24 AM
CigarSmoka
Hookah Nut

I know everybody hates BestBuy but I got a decent tower for my gf for under $500. I have my eye on this one, 1.2TB drive, 8GB ram, ADM Radeon 7560D graphics, more than adequate for what you want: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=8998102
Old August 25th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Evilcon666
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarSmoka View Post
I know everybody hates BestBuy but I got a decent tower for my gf for under $500. I have my eye on this one, 1.2TB drive, 8GB ram, ADM Radeon 7560D graphics, more than adequate for what you want: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=8998102
I hate best buy because I worked for them and know the crap that goes on behind the counter, and stock room lol.

Sent from Blood Gulch Outpost #1 using Forum Runner
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:22 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADRUNKK View Post
Quick question Dunkel, could you build a computer if you were given a list of parts to buy? Or would you prefer something pre-built?
I never have tried to build a computer, but if it means getting a good deal, I'm game. I'm sure there's tutorials on YouTube or elsewhere.

I would like to reuse what I can from my old computer. I'm guessing hard drive, processor, memory, and motherboard would be the main stuff needed to upgrade/rebuild .
Old August 25th, 2013, 03:32 PM
mustangii
Hookah Pro

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/al...nual_en-us.pdf

Dell still sells the tower you have, so it's not that old. The owners manual is the link above. You can upgrade it to 4 gb ram, Load windows 7 to it, Install a solid state drive, in one of the empty bays and you'll be good to go.
edm

ASE Master Certified Automotive Tech.
Master Certified Chrysler Tech.
Old August 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM
mrendels
Hookah Nut

Putting together a PC is super easy, but if you want an easy way out and don't do much gaming (doesn't sound like you need anything fancy) you could always go with a refurbished (or new if the price is right) laptop. Check dealsofamerica.com religiously if you go that route. They have a link for a nice toshiba for $579 right now through ebay.
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrendels View Post
Putting together a PC is super easy, but if you want an easy way out and don't do much gaming (doesn't sound like you need anything fancy) you could always go with a refurbished (or new if the price is right) laptop. Check dealsofamerica.com religiously if you go that route. They have a link for a nice toshiba for $579 right now through ebay.
I really have no use for a laptop. When I go somewhere I have no need to have a computer with me. I kinda like the idea of my computer being in one place and I have to go there to use it. I don't want to become a technology addict. Not a rant, just sayin'.
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:49 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Just because it's portable doesn't mean you have to take it places.

Anyways, other places to check for deals are www.tigerdirect.com and www.jr.com

Old August 27th, 2013, 02:20 PM
ADRUNKK
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
I never have tried to build a computer, but if it means getting a good deal, I'm game. I'm sure there's tutorials on YouTube or elsewhere.

I would like to reuse what I can from my old computer. I'm guessing hard drive, processor, memory, and motherboard would be the main stuff needed to upgrade/rebuild .
Building a computer is fairly easy but it would be highly advisable to have someone with you that knows what they are doing for your first time. Hopefully someone from HP lives near you that could lend a hand. It only takes a couple hours and that's going at it slow and explaining everything.

IMO you definitely need to replace the Motherboard, processor, & ram. I prefer an Intel based system. Others prefer AMD. The choice is up to you. If you want to save some bucks then go AMD, but i won't build AMD based systems.

You should be able to reuse your case, but FYI people overlook the case as being an important piece. If you ever want to upgrade or expand it definitely pays off to have a larger sized case with more bays, an extra fan or two, and the room to fit a video card. Smaller case are harder to deal with when assembling your computer, and smaller cases can get hotter. Heat is bad. If you spend a little more on a case now then you can overlook this as a cost next time you upgrade. It's definitely not a requirement tho as your not going for a high end, super hot rig.

You can definitely re-use your hard drive, although i would still get a solid state if you can afford one. You can use your solid state as your main drive (fast drive) and use your old hard drive as a storage/backup drive for any unexpected crashes or viruses.

DVD drive should be reusable unless Dell is weird with their DVD drivers (it should have simple plug and play drivers). My brother has an old school Dell computer and it took us 3 hours to get his LAN card to work. After that experience i hated Dell computers, although I've owned 2 in the past.

Your power supply should be reusable too but it would be advisable to see how many watts your pushing to see if it's powerful enough for your new components.
Old August 28th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Raid3n
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Raid3n

If you decide to go the building route Dunk take the part advice of these guys, but watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw and all the subsequent videos will help you make a few decisions on your own for parts you would like, if you care, and how to actually put it together.

When I built one for the first time I referenced it non stop and had no issues getting through the build, minus a couple of sata gender converters breaking on me and I didn't notice it, making the build take a couple hours longer.

Really though, reference the five or so videos they have on building a computer and you will not have issues, plus you may pick up a couple things that you may think are pretty neat to know afterwards.
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Springfield03
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post

It's true that you can build a much higher quality rig for the same dollar amount. It only takes an hour or two to assemble, install OS, and test a new build. It's much easier than most people realize. Depending on the power supply you have it might help to pick up a new one. If you get a fancy shmancy video card (which will definitely put you over your financial cap) it would require around a 600-700w power supply, which are around $50-60.

The quoted above build is pretty good.

Side note, your old hard drive might work. But, it's probably a 5400rpm or slower. Which means you'd notice quicker reactions with a 7200 rpm hdd. You can find a 1tb hdd for as cheap as $85 if you find a sale.
"Cigarettes are for nervous people, competitive people, people on the run. When you smoke a narghile, you have time to think. It teaches you patience and tolerance, and gives you an appreciation of good company. Narghile smokers have a much more balanced approach to life than cigarette smokers."
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook