Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > General Yada-Yada

General Yada-Yada For discussion not related to hookah specifically ...

HP Recipe Thread

General Yada-Yada

Reply Share

Old November 16th, 2010, 04:13 AM
MsFury2009
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: HP Recipe Thread

Spicy Beef n Mac
1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Beef Broth
1 1/3 cups water
2 cups uncooked medium shell-shaped pasta
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's Condensed Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 cup Pace Picante Sauce
[LIST][*]Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.[*]Stir the broth and water in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the pasta. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender, stirring often.[*]Stir in the soup and picante sauce and cook until the mixture is hot and bubbling.[/LIST]If you like really cheesy food add 2-3 cans of the cheese soup!

Serving Suggestion: Serve with corn muffins and steamed broccoli flowerets.
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Aloyseus
Hookah Nut

Simple Italian Sausage w/Peppers and Onions

Ingredients:
1 lb. Sweet or Spicy Italian sausage.
2 Frying peppers (Cubanelle or Bell works fine)
2 Medium Onions
S&P To taste (I like putting red pepper flakes in mine to add a little heat, but this is optional and may be over powering if you opted for the spicy over the sweet sausage.)

Recommended Condiments: Mustard & Hot Sauce

PREP

1. Cut up 2 cups of onions and 2 cups of peppers into chunks (think of the size that you want on your roll) and keep them separated.

COOK (Medium heat throughout with the same pan)

1. Get a large enough frying pan that will be able to cook all the sausage comfortably without stealing too much heat from the pan. (Or use one of those griddle things that sit on the counter that have lids.)
Fully cook the sausage, poking holes to get some of the juices flowing into the pan. After they are brown on all sides and fully cooked, place them on some paper towels and set them aside with some tin foil.

2. Add a little bit of olive oil in the same pan if necessary to prevent the onions from sticking too much and cook them until brown and translucent and tender (about 5 minutes) COVERED AND UNDISTURBED over medium heat, making sure they don't burn.

3. Add peppers, S&P and other goodies you can think of, cook until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally.

4. Place sausage on amoroso's roll with some mustard, top with peppers/onions and a couple dashes of hot sauce and you're good to go.

Made this last night on a whim and was delicious.

The idea behind poking the holes is to use some of the fat from the sausage to cook the peppers and onions in... really just go easy on the oil. If you don't need it, don't add it. If they are good quality Italian sausages, poking a couple holes with a toothpick wont dry them out at all, which surprised me when my mom first showed me how to cook back when I was a kid.

Last edited by Aloyseus; November 16th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

Here is one that I created myself .. This is my personal recipe and it is published on allrecipes.com

Chicken Salad in a Hurry!
You can serve this on a bed of lettuce, in a pita pocket, in a wrap, etc .. the possibilities are endless! Quick, Easy, and Delicious!

Ingredients
[LIST][*] 1 rotisserie chicken, pull and shred chicken meat only (discard skin)[*] 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs (discard egg yolks)[*] 1/2 cup mayonnaise[*] 1/2 cup chopped apple[*] 1/2 cup chopped celery[*] 1/4 cup chopped onion[*] 1 teaspoon curry powder[*] 1/2 teaspoon paprika[*] 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper[*] salt to taste[/LIST]Directions[LIST=1][*]Mix the chicken, eggs, mayonnaise, apple, celery, onion, curry powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.[/LIST]*TIP* Still working on getting allrecipes to remove the skin and egg yolks from my recipe to make it a very low fat and low cholesterol meal!
Nutritional value included in allrecipes includes skin and yolks. Removal of these lowers the fat / cholesterol tremendously!

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

This is the recipe for real deal, no BS Maryland Crab Cakes.

Crab Cakes

1 lb Crabmeat

1 Tbsp Parsley

2 tsp Old Bay

15 Saltine Crackers

1 Tbsp Mayonaise

1 tsp Mustard

1 egg

1/2 egg shell of water

Crush the saltines on top of the crabmeat. Add parsley, and Old Bay. Mix well.

In a separate bowl beat the egg and water together. Add the mayonnaise and mustard and mix until smooth. Pour this mixture over the crabmeat mixture and mix well.
Make the cakes as big as you like and put them on a plate and place in the fridge for at least an hour before frying.

Cover bottom of a frying pan with oil. Let the oil heat up. Fry crab cakes until brown on each side.

Last edited by Dunkel; August 18th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

[FONT=Verdana]Poor Boy Salmon Cakes[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1 can of Salmon [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3 Tbsp Flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]1 Egg[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2 tsp Old Bay seasoning[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] tsp Onion Powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] tsp Garlic Powder[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] tsp Black Pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Drain Salmon and remove skin and bones.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]In a bowl add Salmon, egg, and spices. Stir well. Add flour and stir well. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Make the cakes however big you like and put them on a plate. Place them in the fridge for at least an hour before frying them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Add enough oil to coat the bottom of a frying pan. Allow the oil to heat up a bit and fry the cakes until brown on both sides.[/FONT]
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:02 AM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE
Default Spice Crusted Steak

Spice-Crusted Steaks with Cherry Sauce

c dried cherries
c port wine, warmed
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coffee
tsp kosher salt
tsp gr cinnamon
tsp gr cumin
tsp gr mustard
4 beef tenderloin steaks (1 in. thick and 6 oz each)
1 tbsp canola oil
1 large shallot finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 c reduced-sodium beef broth
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
c heavy whipping cream
Crumbled blue cheese

1. In a small bowl combine cherries and wine. Set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the pepper, brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, coffee, salt, cinnamon, cumin and mustard. Add steak one at a time and shake to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 min.

2. Place oil in a 10inch cast iron skillet, tilt to coat bottom. Heat oil over medium-high heat; sear steaks for 2 minutes on each side. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 15 min or until meat reaches desired doneness. Remove steaks and keep warm.

3. In the same skillet, saut shallot in butter until crisp-tender. Add broth and thyme. Bring to a boil; book until liquid is reduced to half, about 8 min. Stir in cream; bring to a boil. Cook for 8 min or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

4. Stir in reserved cherry mixture. Serve sauce over steaks. Sprinkle with blue cheese.
Old December 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
BigE
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to BigE

This is one of my alltime favorites

Rouladen serves 4

4 minute steaks
4 hard boiled eggs
4 small dill pickles
4 slices of pepperoni or salami
4 slices of cheese
1/4 package onion soup mix

Place the steaks on the counter individually.
Place pepperoni on steak.
Place hard boiled egg, pickle and cheese on pepperoni.
Wrap contents with steak. holding together with tooth pics.
Place in roast pan.
Add water, just to say the bottom is covered.
Sprinkle soup mix on top of rouladen
Bake at 175 for about 30 minutes or until desired doneness

Last edited by BigE; December 30th, 2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old July 5th, 2012, 11:53 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger
Default Herbed Fig Lamb and Iraqi Saffron Rice

I didn't like how this thread has died off, so I'm going to share part of the meal I cooked for the 4th, and I'm sure you'll like this.

Lets start with the Rice
Iraqi Saffron Rice (I did a lot more but I'll make this to serve 4-6)

Ingredients:
2 cups basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon saffron
2 tablespoons rose water
3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter, check your farmers markets or hippie grocers)
1/4 cup toasted halved almonds
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
1 large sweet onion, finely chopped (I used vidalias)
3 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup golden sultana raisins (just your dark golden raisins)
Water

Preparation:
Wash the rice until the cloudiness goes away.
Let the rice soak in plenty of water (dont just cover it as it will soak up water) for at least 2 hours - it will be softer and fluffier if you do this in the morning and come back to it for dinner.
Warm up your rose water in the microwave
Crush the saffron, you can use a spoon with rocking motions back and forth if you do not have a mortar and pestle.
Add saffron to warmed rose water, let this steep.
Add ghee to a warmed *** on medium high.
Add onions and let them sweat until they turn translucent.
Remove as much water as you can from your rice bath.
Add the salt, rice, and raisins to the *** and immediately cover with water until there's about 1/2" of water above the solid mass.
Turn the heat to high.
Add about 2/3 of the saffron rose water mixture, and slowly and carefully stir to distribute all the ingredients until it begins to boil.
Lower the heat to the lowest setting, cover the ***, placing a towel (paper will work too) between the lid and the ***.
Let this cook for about 45 minutes, do not touch the rice will its cooking, don't peek at it, just let it be!
Invert the *** onto a round dish, the top will have the caramelized crunchy rice from the bottom of the ***.
Carefully distribute the rest of the saffron rose mixture over the rice.
Garnish with the nuts, and serve.

Herbed Fig Lamb
This recipe is very simple and I'll avoid giving exact proportions

Ingredients:
Rack of lamb, frenched (or just precut chops)
Fig Jam/Jelly
A bunch of the following: Marjoram, Mint, Rosemary, Mint, Chives
Salt, Pepper
Onions
Garlic Cloves
Tomatoes
Sumac
Olive Oil

Preparation:
Preheat Oven to 220
Preheat grill to around 550F
Cut lamb into chops.
Lightly coat with olive oil and salt and pepper.
Sear both sides of the chops on a grill (about 2-3minutes per side on high)
Slice the onions and place onto the bottom of a nonstick pan
Halve and de-stem the tomatoes, cover the top with a thin layer of oil, season with salt pepper and a dash of sumac.
Place tomatoes around border of dish.
Finely dice the herbs
Coat lamp chops with think layer of fig jam and jelly
Coat the chops with the herbs.
Place above the onions but not the tomatoes.
Slice garlic and top the lamb with it.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 3-4 hours.
In the last 30 minutes, raise the temperature to 450 and remove the foil.

The chops will be well done, but very tender, with gelatinized fat.

----

Eating:

Place tomatoes and chops above the rice. Eat.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:55 AM
Meatless
Hookah Aficionado

Here's a simple Mango Avocado Salad I came up with one day.

3-4 Mangoes diced (ripe, but not too soft)
4-5 Avocados diced (again, ripe, but not too soft)
(there should be equal parts Mango and Avocado)
Sweet Onion diced (I like red onions, but any sweet onion would work)
2-4 Jalapenos minced (to taste. remove seeds if you want little heat, leave them if if you like it hot)
Fresh Cilantro chopped ( at least 1-2 Tbsp)
Juice of 2-3 Limes (to taste, for acidity)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Can also add some diced Jicama for extra crunch
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Swells
Artisan Manufacturer

I'm about to start cooking this for dinner right now and thought I would share. A very tasty and easy grilled salmon recipe.

-Salmon fillets (Look for ones with a color that is more red than pink, wild caught salmon is usually best)

-Brownsugar

-Lemon Pepper Seasoning

-Soy Sauce (I normally use kikkoman)

-A grill (preferably charcoal) and a fish holder like this one

Rub the salmon fillets on both sides generously with brown sugar and lemon pepper seasoning. If you have regular lemon pepper you can also add a little salt, but if it is lemon pepper seasoning the salt is already in it. Once the fish is coated place it in a ziploc freezer bag and add enough soy sauce to soak it. Put the ziploc bag in the fridge and marinate for 30mins to an hour, flipping the bag over once to make sure all of the fish is marinated. Remove the salmon from the bags and spray the fish holder with cooking spray. Place the marinated fillets in the fish holder securely. Get your grill nice and hot and place the fish holder on the grill so that the skin of the fish is facing down. Cook until the skin is black and crispy, then flip the fish over and cook the non-skin side until it is lightly charred. We normally serve this with rice, or some homemade redskin mashed potatoes.

Last edited by Swells; August 21st, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old October 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Redsli15
Hookah Pro

A quick meal I like to make is my delicious shrimp scampi.

15-20 Large Frozen tail on or removed shrimp
3tbsp's salted butter
1 teaspoon of garlic
1 teaspoon of kurts (highly recommended. Its from Door County, Wisconsin) or lawrys weaning salt
1.5tbsp's lemon juice

Preperation:
Gather all the shrimp and put it in a large bowl with cold water. This will thaw it quickly without getting an overpowering fishy taste. Every 10 min empty the water and refill it. The frozen shrimp will get that water too cold. Once they are thawed, take off the tails by squeezing the sides and pulling/wiggling. Try to keep as much meat on the shrimp as possible. After this melt the butter on a frying pan.

Cooking:
Once the butter is melted, toss the shrimp in the frying pan, that way the shrimp will be creamy before all.the spices are on. After a minute or two, put the lemon juice in next. After another minute put the seasoning salt and garlic in with the shrimp and flip/toss them often.

Lastly, put the shrimp with some of the sauce on a plate and enjoy!
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:04 AM
AlisterSuggsden
Hookah Pro

Default Groaty Pudding (AKA Groaty Dick)

Lately I've been strutting about proclaiming the greatness of Groaty pudding (or pud as it's often called) and it hit me that no one here knows what I'm talking about. Since I hate to see people spending too much on food given the current depression most of the world is in I thought I'd give you my dearly departed mum's recipe.

Ingredients:

0.5 lb groats
4 bay leaf
1.5 lbs shin of beef
one cup of salt free, top quality beef broth
one and half cups of table ale
half a cup fresh parsley
two tablespoons of fresh dill (optional)
1lb leeks
two medium sized onions

Cut the beef into bite-size pieces, slice the leeks into half inch thick bits and cube the onions. Place all the ingredients save the parsley and dill a stew jar and bake on a low temperature for at least three hours, longer if possible. In the last twenty minutes add the dill and parsley and stir well. A thicker, poor man’s version of this, with a pound of groats and one pound of beef, is almost as good will fit most budgets. If you make the poor man’s version it’s great spread on heavy rye, pumpernickel or black bread giving everyone a something warm, filling meal that is good for the soul.

I understand that Americans have electric slow cooking pots and if you've got one set it for four hours at a low temperature.

Oh, in case anyone doesn’t know groats are oats with the husks removed but before they are ground to produce oatmeal or steamed then rolled to make rolled oats or flakes. Groats have the highest nutritional value of any cereal and when absorb the other stuff in the pudding they are amazing. You can get them at any decent grocer or health food shop.

Leeks are a veg that is sort of like an onion but way better for cooking and you can get them at any decent health food shop.

The best table ales to use are milds, oat or rye ales and wheats ales that aren’t heavily hopped with a low alcohol content. Some like stouts (not the stuff with chocolate or coffee and other queer things) or old fashioned brown porters are often used but that never suited me.

Side dishes that go well are heavy rye, pumpernickel or black breads, pease (a yellow pea pudding), cabbage, potatoes and steamed carrots. This sort of meal is best served with a nice oat or rye ale or, if you can get it, a nice scrumpy if you want to discover what eating is all about!

Anyone willing to give this a go?
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:21 AM
cableparrot
Hookah Aficionado

Default Re: Groaty Pudding (AKA Groaty Dick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisterSuggsden View Post
Anyone willing to give this a go?
Seeing as I am poor, I will definitely try this.

Great way to make pasta sauce on the cheap:
1 lb cheap ground beef
1 can tomatoes with chile peppers
1 large can tomato paste
any hot spices you have on hand

brown the beef, drain the fat, add everything else and simmer for 5 minutes.
put on top of pasta and enjoy.
Its a little more expensive than premade sauce but its much more filling
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:06 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Jamaican style barbecue chx

JAMAICAN BARBECUE CHICKEN

INGREDIENTS:

1 bunch scallions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 scotch bonnet chili, seeded and minced
1 1/2 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
1 TBSP veg oil
1 TBSP sweet paprika
2 tsp thyme, minced
1 4-lb chicken

METHOD

Combine first seven ingredients, season well with salt and pepper, and mash to a paste with a mortar and pestle, food processor, or Mason jar.

Spoon half the marinade into both cavities of the chicken, gently loosen the chicken skin from the meat and rub the remainder of the marinade under and over the chicken skin.

Put the chicken and marinade in a gallon-size ziplock freezer bag and place in the refrigerator overnight, turning it occasionally.

Grill over indirect heat, covered, for about an hour.

Uncover and baste with sauce, cover and continue to cook until chicken is done, basting with more sauce from time to time.

Chicken is done when the skin is deep mahogany brown and the thickest part of the thigh reads 170-175 on an instant read thermometer.

SAUCE:

1/2 c ketchup
3 TBSP tamari or soy sauce
2 scallions, minced
2 TBSP dark brown sugar
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1 TBSP grated ginger root

Simmer until thick, about 10 minutes. Away from flame, stir in 1 TBSP dark rum, simmer another 2 minutes or so.

NOTE: this works really well with a spatchcocked chicken, too.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showp...&postcount=135

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=88

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Zombie

ZOMBIE

1 ounce each:
Light rum
Golden rum
Dark rum
Apricot brandy
Pineapple juice
Papaya juice
Grenadine

Pour over ice and top with 1/2 ounce 151

(these are also good made as a frozen blended drink)

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Mai Tai

MAI TAI

1 ounce lime juice
3 ounces pineapple juice
1/2 ounce Orgeat (almond syrup)
1 ounce Bacardi (light) rum
1 ounce Meyers (dark) rum
1 ounce triple sec

pour over ice
or blend with ice

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:15 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default best Margarita

BEST MARGARITA

An old bartender's trick is to squeeze citrus juice about 4 hours before it's needed. Allowing it to rest in an open container gives the oils time to oxidize, producing a mellower, yet more complex flavor.

By adding some of the citrus zest to the juice as it rests, the flavonones in the zest mask bitter compounds and enhance the perceived sweetness of the juice, producing a deeper, sweeter, more rounded flavor.

The measurements for the zest are just guidelines- it doesn't have to be too exact. When zesting the citrus, use only the colored part, not the bitter white pith that's under the zest.

A Microplane grater works well for zesting the fruit. Alternately, a vegetable peeler can be used to remove the zest in long strips.

INGREDIENTS:

1 TBSP (15mL) grated lime zest
1/2 cup (120mL) lime juice from 2 to 3 medium limes
1 TBSP (15mL) grated lemon zest
1/2 cup (120mL) lemon juice from 2 to 3 medium lemons
1/4 cup (60mL) superfine sugar
pinch table salt
2 cups (500mL) crushed ice
1 cup (250mL) 100 percent agave tequila , preferably Reposado (like Cuervo 1800 Reposado)
1 cup (250mL) Triple Sec

METHOD:

Combine the lime zest and juice, lemon zest and juice, sugar, and salt in large liquid measuring cup; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the flavors meld, at least a few hours or up to 24 hours.

Divide 1 cup of crushed ice between 4 or 6 margarita or double old-fashioned glasses. Strain the juice mixture into a 1-quart pitcher or cocktail shaker. Add the tequila, Triple Sec, and remaining crushed ice; stir or shake until thoroughly combined and chilled, 20 to 60 seconds. Strain into the ice-filled glasses and serve immediately.

These can also be served as frozen blended drinks.

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 2nd, 2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:35 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Chx in grape leaves, grilled

CHICKEN IN GRAPE LEAVES

INGREDIENTS:

4 boneless chicken breasts
4 sprigs thyme
4 strips smoked bacon
8 jarred grape leaves, rinsed and stemmed
lemon zest

METHOD:

Butterfly the chicken breasts, season inside and out with salt and pepper, stuff with thyme and lemon zest, close breast.

wrap each breast with two grape leaves, secure the grape leaves by wrapping a strip of bacon around each breast, tie with string or secure with toothpicks.

Brush with olive oil and grill until done, turning once.

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:50 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Grilled new potatoes

GRILLED NEW POTATOES

INGREDIENTS:

3 lb small red-skinned potatoes
1 bunch thinly sliced scallions
3 TBSP chopped Italian parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
3 TBSP grated Parmigiano Reggiano
olive oil

METHOD:

Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, 10-15 minutes, drain and cool.

Cut potatoes in half, transfer to a large bowl, and toss to coat with olive oil.

Grill potatoes over medium hot coals until golden, turning occasionally with tongs (about five minutes or so).

Return potatoes to bowl, toss with olive oil, garlic, parmigiano, herbs, and salt and pepper.

These things are mighty tasty.

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Oatmeal

OATMEAL

INGREDIENTS:

1 C steel cut oats
1 TBSP butter
1/2 C whole milk
1/2 C buttermilk
1 TBSP brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

METHOD:

Pan-toast the oats in the butter for about 2 minutes, until just turning fragrant. Add 3 C boiling water, stir, and reduce heat to simmer.

Allow to cook 25 minutes without stirring.

Add the milk and half of the buttermilk, stir gently and cook another 10 minutes.

Stir in the rest of the buttermilk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.

This is how oatmeal is made.

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:40 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default String beans

GREEN BEANS

The initial blanch sets the color in these tender-crisp green beans so they stay nice and bright green.The beans can be blanched in advance and then quickly sauteed just before serving. Jarred roasted red bell peppers can be substituted for fresh. These are great served with just about anything.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb string beans, trimmed
1/2 red bell pepper, charred, peeled, and cut into short strips
1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 TBSP butter
2 scallions, white and light green only, sliced very thin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c slivered almonds
2 TBSP Italian parsley, loosely chopped

METHOD:

Bring a large pοt of water to a rapid boil.

Meanwhile, pan-toast the almonds over medium heat until lightly golden brown, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Remove the almonds to a small bowl and reserve.

Salt the boiling water (about a tsp per quart of water), add the beans, keep uncovered at a rapid boil until the beans are bright green and just barely tender, 3 minutes for small young beans, up to 6 minutes for older, larger beans.

Drain the beans in a colander and immediately shock in ice water.

Once the beans are cool, drain again and pour out onto a clean, dry towel or several layers of paper towel. Blot dry.

When ready to serve, heat the oil in a frying pan and add 1/3 of the butter and the garlic. Stir until just fragrant, 30 seconds or a minute.

Turn the heat up to med-high, add the beans, roasted red peppers, scallions, almonds, another 1/3 of the butter, and season with salt and cracked pepper. Saute for two minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the parsley and the last of the butter, adjust seasoning, and add a squeeze of lemon juice or a few drops of sherry vinegar if needed. Serve.

Last edited by One Small Voice; September 5th, 2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Bananas Foster

BANANAS FOSTER

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup (120mL) packed dark brown sugar
4 TBSP (60mL) unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
1/4 cup (60mL) dark rum (like Myers or Coruba)
pinch of salt
2 large, firm, ripe bananas, peeled, halved lengthwise, and then halved crosswise
1 pint vanilla ice cream

METHOD:

Combine the brown sugar, butter and 1 TBSP (15mL) of the rum in a heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick, about 2 minutes. Don't use too much heat or the sauce will break.

Add the bananas, spooning some sauce over each piece. Cook until the bananas are glossy and golden on both sides, about 3 minutes. Scoop the vanilla ice cream into four bowls while the bananas are cooking, that way the ice cream will have time to soften slightly, and the bowls are ready to go when the bananas are done.

Off the heat, add the remaining 3 TBSP (45mL) rum and wait until the rum has warmed slightly, about 10 seconds. Wave a lit match over the pan until the rum ignites. Return the skillet to the heat, shaking the pan to distribute the flame over the entire pan. When the flames subside (this will take 15 to 30 seconds), divide the bananas and sauce among the four bowls of ice cream.

Last edited by One Small Voice; May 17th, 2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:39 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Hot Chocolate mix

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups nonfat dry milk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 cups Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon salt

METHOD:

Combine ingredients in large bowl. Working in two batches, pulse ingredients in food processor or blender until chocolate is finely ground. Store in airtight container for up to 3 months.

To make hot cocoa, stir 1/3 cup of this mix into 1 cup of hot milk. Top with whipped cream or mini marshmallows.
Old August 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM
SluggishTwitch
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to SluggishTwitch

Salty Potatoes

Ingredients

One gallon of water
one and a half cups of table salt
3 pounds of tiny white potatoes.

(Precisely, no substitutes can be made.)

Directions

Bring water and salt to a boil, add potatoes and boil 20 minutes. Drain, add back to *** and let sit until dry and salt crust forms. Dip in melted butter and enjoy.

*The tiny potatoes ate key though. They'll be in the cold section of the produce at Kroger. (I'm sure you can check your other grocery stores, though.)*

Tick: I'm telling you, Arthur, that checkout lady was giving me the hairy eyeball.
Arthur: Tick, it's called glaucoma.
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:20 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Default Bissap

BISSAP

This Hibiscus tea is very popular in Senegal. You can make it with any number of additional flavorings, or any combination of several. Very nice to serve with hookah.

INGREDIENTS:

* two to three cups of dried hibiscus flowers (sorrel or roselle)
* one cup of Sugar

* one or two of the following optional flavorings:
* a few sprigs of mint
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
* 1 tsp orange-flower water
* 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 cup fresh pineapple juice or fresh squeezed orange juice

METHOD:

Briefly rinse the dried flowers in cool water.
In a saucepan heat two quarts (approximately two litres) of cold water. As soon as the water begins to boil, add the dried hibiscus leaves. Immediately remove from heat and let the flowers steep for ten minutes. Pour the water from the *** into a pitcher using a strainer (lined with a cheesecloth if you like) to separate the flowers from the water. (Be sure not to pour any of the flower sediment into the pitcher.) Stir in the Sugar. Add any other flavorings (if desired).
Add ice and chill completely. May be served over ice.

Serve with hookah.

Last edited by One Small Voice; April 11th, 2014 at 01:55 AM.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook