Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Pro > Introductions - Forum Members

Introductions - Forum Members Come on in and Introduce yourself to the community ...

opening hookah business???

Introductions - Forum Members

Reply Share

Old February 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
double j
Hookah Newbie

Default opening hookah business???

wassup guys,

im from central California, plan to open a hookah lounge in my city.

city approves of it, now my next step is to find a building and have health inspector check it and see what kind of ventilatin do i need becuase of the smoke.

I honestly have no money so i plan to get a small business loan.
i've been general manager for SONic for about 5 years.
so managing profit/loss, marketing and leading wouldnt be a prob.
(so much fun stuff planned)

but is this a profitable business??...

let me know what ya think...

-double j
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM
jhall8975
Hookah Nut

Default Re: opening hookah business???

welcome to the forums, its profitable but its going to cost a lot, i talked with an owner because i was interested in setting up my own hookah bar and he said that after you get the permits and all the kitchen and smoke ventilators out along with the plumbing and fireproof fabric for chairs and tile that the total would cost around 300,000, but that was me looking at an older gutted building so hopefully you can find a place that isnt as messed up as the place i was looking at but good luck man but the profits are huge especially if youre in a town where you are the only lounge and especially if there are colleges around
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
lizzyrdd
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to lizzyrdd Send a message via Skype™ to lizzyrdd

Your initial cost to start the business and to rent out your building is going to SUCK, but if you have a good setting (big college towns are great for this kind of thing), I'm sure it wouldn't take a horribly long time to start making profit. You just need to have a place where you're going to get a lot of business.
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:02 AM
double j
Hookah Newbie

damn...start ups would actually cost THAT!!! much!!!!...

there goes dreams of owning own business...

huh...well, i will continue researching and study the business and see where it leads me..

thanks for the input
Old February 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
tangierssmoker
Banned

dude i have set up quite a few lounges for friends of mine both here in san diego and up in los angeles. don't get discouraged those numbers are wayyyyyyyyyyy high. a lounge can be succesfully built and set up properly including firemarshalls aproval and everything else. no need for tile.... tear out carpet scrape up glue lay down paint on concrete epoxy from home depot... as for the coal stove ventilation it is easy to do yourself with parts from a hydroponics store such as fans and ducting or a simple $200 stove vent from home depot as long as the building you are in has some sort of vents through the roof pre existing.... as for the ventilation to vent the smoke they make a unit called a smokeeter that can be installed in the ceiling to recirculate the air and clean it out or you can create more exhaust vents in the ceiling if more vents are available going through the room. 20k is more than enough to start a lounge especially in a city like merced where the rent is anything but high. check out empire hookah lounge in los angeles on facebook. that is one of the lounges i put together (at least after the move to the new location) and it is over 3000 sq ft and fills up almost nightly.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
jhall8975
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangierssmoker View Post
dude i have set up quite a few lounges for friends of mine both here in san diego and up in los angeles. don't get discouraged those numbers are wayyyyyyyyyyy high. a lounge can be succesfully built and set up properly including firemarshalls aproval and everything else. no need for tile.... tear out carpet scrape up glue lay down paint on concrete epoxy from home depot... as for the coal stove ventilation it is easy to do yourself with parts from a hydroponics store such as fans and ducting or a simple $200 stove vent from home depot as long as the building you are in has some sort of vents through the roof pre existing.... as for the ventilation to vent the smoke they make a unit called a smokeeter that can be installed in the ceiling to recirculate the air and clean it out or you can create more exhaust vents in the ceiling if more vents are available going through the room. 20k is more than enough to start a lounge especially in a city like merced where the rent is anything but high. check out empire hookah lounge in los angeles on facebook. that is one of the lounges i put together (at least after the move to the new location) and it is over 3000 sq ft and fills up almost nightly.
it would be cheaper because the building i was referring too is 80 years old and everything would need repaired (by repaired i mean basically rebuilt), and indiana smoking laws say that you need smoke vents, and a minimum of 4 for the size of the building we were looking at, each vent was 3000 each and required installation. but not all smoking laws are the same, also if your building was nice and didnt cost as much to make what you need then it will be extremely less expensive, what i said is what it would have cost me but someplaces already have everything that you would need, id look into it, its what i plan on doing way down the road, but if its something you want to do then dont let your dreams die quickly
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:54 AM
genartsim
Hookah Nut

Welcome and good luck in your endeavors!
Share with your friends on facebook