Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Issue with taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old August 23rd, 2017, 03:55 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Default Issue with taste

I didn't smoke my hookah for a long time and i cleaned it with baking soda and lemom juice 5 times including the bowl but still wasn't getting the taste i am setting it up the same way i used to with 2 coals and stoneware phunnel bowl and windcover i am getting good volume of smoke but the taste isn't there i tried to clean it with washing up liquid as well and still same result anyone have any suggestions?

Also cleaned the hose multiple times with lemon juice and baking soda it is not burning and has good airflow just no taste i have tried the same tobacco in my glass hookah and got good taste but it burns too fast also have no air leaks in my KM.

Last edited by Abstheguy; August 23rd, 2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:04 PM
GrandmasterHash
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Issue with taste

maybe you need a new hose? Not really sure why you wouldn't get any flavour at all, could be the tobacco to potentially.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:22 PM
s3n0
Hookah Newbie

What exactly do you use Shisha ? Completely what is your setup ? - manufacturer and type of Shisha, Bowl, Hose, ..... ?

What is your exact hose?
- silicone washable
- standard washable (inside is a thin film wound on the spring)
- cheap hose for some use (paper or another)

Silicone is quite difficult to clean from the smell . I personally flush a silicone hose with a natural acid that is otherwise used primarily to remove odor from a glass vase or a metal body of a shisha.
1. citric acid (100% concentrate obtained from lemons)
2. acetic acid ("vinegear")
Both can be bought in grocery stores for cheap money!

You can try to build your Shisha completely again - without tobacco and charcoal. Fill the vase with water. Finally take the surface of the bowl with your palm and try to "suck" this way from the hose. If the Shisha is well sealed, no air will flow (no air can be drawn).

Did he try other tobacco with another flavor?

Glycerin (contained in Shisha tobacco), the purpose of which is precisely "smothering", is evaporated already from the temperature of 100°C. Tobacco leaves and molasses, however, need a higher temperature to feel, say about 120°C to 200°C. So if the temperature is above 200°C, the smoke you breathe is excitable (the tobacco is too burnt). If the temperature is less than 120°C, you feel almost no taste. So try to use more carbon to create a higher temperature (try to use 3 pieces of bigger or 4 smaller pieces of carbon).

It is also possible that you mistakenly filled the tobacco into the bowl. No large air gaps should be placed in the bowl of tobacco. Also, tobacco must not be pressed and overpacked into a bowl. In my opinion, "overpacking" is a total stupidity. When overpacking, there is a risk of incorrect aeration of the tobacco. The tobacco does not pass through the air and you feel weaker. My last advice is to try another way of filling the bowl. Trying to fill the bowl only with a sip of tobacco - gently from the top to the bowl. Evenly and without extra-large air gaps in tobacco.

Good Luck

Last edited by s3n0; August 24th, 2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I forgot to add a tip to increase the number of carbon when I wrote about a possible low temperature :)
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:15 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Khalil mamoon hookah
Banned vendor stoneware phunnel
Art hookah Aviator hose
Al fakher double apple

Ive never had a problem packing this way before fluff pack 2 coconut coals and a windcover tried a new traditional hose aswell same thing though.

I also have this glass hookah that i get good flavour from http://www.darnashop.fr/en/glass-hoo...ir-hookah.html
But problem with this is the coals go black on the side closest to the outer bowl and if i put it away close to the middle it just burns.

Last edited by Abstheguy; August 23rd, 2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:45 PM
GrandmasterHash
Hookah Nut

maybe try a different bowl or more heat
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:21 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmasterHash View Post
maybe try a different bowl or more heat
^^^^^
Bowls fine. Its not the problem. Freds right. You need more heat. AF likes three flat cocos ( or two cubes) with a windcover in that bowl. 99% of the time, its a heat management issue.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:38 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
^^^^^
Bowls fine. Its not the problem. Freds right. You need more heat. AF likes three flat cocos ( or two cubes) with a windcover in that bowl. 99% of the time, its a heat management issue.
Using 2 Argelini cube coals
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:08 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstheguy View Post
Using 2 Argelini cube coals
^^^
Ahh, never had Argellni coals. Perhaps they dont produce as much heat. Try 3. Leave the windcover on to heat it up then remove. See if that helps

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:37 AM
mattyuk
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
^^^^^
without a doubt this is the issue.
Old August 24th, 2017, 06:56 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
I didn't smoke my hookah for a long time... i am getting good volume of smoke but the taste isn't there
Could be a heat issue- two and a wind cover is on the cool side of adequate for what you're using, depending on pack, but I'm not convinced. If you're getting a decent amount of smoke (thank you for not saying "clouds"- so damn hyperbolic), it seems like the coals are doing what they're supposed to.

You mentioned that you didn't smoke your hookah for a long time. Is it safe to assume that you didn't smoke your tobacco for a long time, either?

How long is a long time? How was the tobacco stored? Was it opened? is it in a bucket or a cooler? Try some fresh tobacco and see if you get more flavor from it.

If all else fails, you can always fall back on Jonesies' secret foil hole pattern- PM The_Boo for more information...

Last edited by One Small Voice; August 24th, 2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old August 24th, 2017, 08:14 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Nope the tobacco is fresh just bought recently and looks like the best ive had i get good flavour in my glass hookah just burns too quick with 2 coals and the coals go black because the side touches the outer glass screen but the KM hookah i didn't use for long time and using the exact same coals + same setup just no taste from it can't figure out why.
Old August 24th, 2017, 09:42 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

It's a heat issue. Throw on another coal.
Old August 25th, 2017, 07:18 AM
s3n0
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Nope the tobacco is fresh just bought recently and looks like the best ive had i get good flavour in my glass hookah just burns too quick with 2 coals and the coals go black because the side touches the outer glass screen but the KM hookah i didn't use for long time and using the exact same coals + same setup just no taste from it can't figure out why.
So, you use the same setup - the same bowl, carbon and tobacco. Right? You use only another body and another vase.

You say you do not feel the flavor of tobacco. But from my scientific explanation above , you could have guessed that you had a low temperature for some reason. It just seems to be a problem with the heat of tobacco, as we all mentioned above all the time. It is a shame that you have no infrared thermometer to measure the temperature of the bowl, the temperature of the aluminum foil and the temperature of the carbon.

Now you have to look for the cause of the low temperature. It is quite possible that the new body of the water pipe smoothens your bowl and the two coals are then insufficient to heat the tobacco. Try to use 3 large or 4 smaller carbons. If too much heat develops, move the coals to the edge of the bowl so that they slightly extend beyond the edge of the bowl. Or you can increase the free space between carbon and tobacco - by adding a slightly thinner layer of tobacco to the bowl. Or you can isolate the heat by using a thicker aluminum foil. There should be some free space for hot air and smoke. Overpacking is totally stupid to me. If you fill your bowl with overpacking, tobacco will burn out (on the surface) from the start of smoking!

The basis of everything is the right temperature (approximately 150'C - 160'C) evenly distributed throughout the volume of tobacco!

The carbon must also have a bit of a "scientific" look . If you supply a lot of oxygen to the carbon (air drafts, for example in the outdoors - outdoors in the garden), they will burn out much faster and produce very high heat in a short time. Conversely, if the carbon is "choked" by tarbush or heat-managment, then the temperature of the carbon can gradually fall, but it can end up extinguishing it - but that does not happen, because the coating of air from the water pipe makes charcoals regularly "revive". Therefore, tarbush is mainly used outdoors - in the draft and in the wind - possibly at low room temperature or during cold days outdoors in the garden. If someone says that tarbush helps to raise the temperature of tobacco, it's not quite true. The role of tarbush is mainly to maintain a constant temperature. However, it is always necessary to take into account many other factors that influence heat production.

Nothing else seems to me about your problem. Sorry
Old August 25th, 2017, 06:53 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

You and i do not see eye to eye, youngster. Im finding it difficult to take you seriously, especially after your overpack comments.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old August 26th, 2017, 07:22 AM
spedy
Hookah Nut

carnal is right
Old August 26th, 2017, 05:06 PM
s3n0
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
You and i do not see eye to eye, youngster. Im finding it difficult to take you seriously, especially after your overpack comments.
The youngster? Dude, I am 36 years old.

Sorry... I do not understand your endless, senseless, unnecessary smiley. Do you smoke in hookah about anything other than just plain tobacco? Do not judge me. You do not know anything about me. When I am a major supplier of tobacco and hookah for the European market for 10 years... what then?! What do you write for shit afterwards? How do you actually behave to newcomers on this forum discussion? Do you suffer some mental disorders? Why is this your endless hate? Why do you always have the last word, even though you're not right?

Tobacco pressed into a bowl is something like a concrete wall. Only a minimum amount of elementary air particles pass through the wall and for a very long time. If you compare it with tobacco that has just been poured into a bowl, then compared to the wall it's something like a rough cloth. Through the textile the air passes through, but it practically does not go through the wall.

If you push a bowl into a bowl (really very much tobacco), the hot air in the bowl does not have to flow. Then, if you use the bowl - the phunnel type, you'll only get clean air from the carbon around the bowl!

Of course, we can push a little bit of tobacco, but really only lightly on its surface - just protruding large pieces of tobacco.
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:01 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n0 View Post
The youngster? Dude, I am 36 years old.

Sorry... I do not understand your endless, senseless, unnecessary smiley. Do you smoke in hookah about anything other than just plain tobacco? Do not judge me. You do not know anything about me. When I am a major supplier of tobacco and hookah for the European market for 10 years... what then?! What do you write for shit afterwards? How do you actually behave to newcomers on this forum discussion? Do you suffer some mental disorders? Why is this your endless hate? Why do you always have the last word, even though you're not right?

Tobacco pressed into a bowl is something like a concrete wall. Only a minimum amount of elementary air particles pass through the wall and for a very long time. If you compare it with tobacco that has just been poured into a bowl, then compared to the wall it's something like a rough cloth. Through the textile the air passes through, but it practically does not go through the wall.

If you push a bowl into a bowl (really very much tobacco), the hot air in the bowl does not have to flow. Then, if you use the bowl - the phunnel type, you'll only get clean air from the carbon around the bowl!

Of course, we can push a little bit of tobacco, but really only lightly on its surface - just protruding large pieces of tobacco.
^^^^
Wow. Just wow.

The only judgement here WAS about your posts. Your response however is a bit immature for someone of the ripe old age of 36. ( ive been a hookah smoker and tobacconist, buyer, distributor and tobacco blender for about as long as youve been drawing air, so younster is apropos. And by the way, it wasnt intended as a slight or attack, unlike your response.)

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:40 PM
s3n0
Hookah Newbie

Yes ... I understand ... you are simply the owner of the Earth. Once you have written that everything you are, so you will hope to sleep better. Such a rushed and enterprising person, uh ... and yet you have plenty of free time for a discussion forum. You respond quickly (within one minute) to each new message in the discussion. Sure. I'm a jerk. Other people work for you and you just sit at home and flood this discussion forum to become an ELITE member.

Your name is Hercules, is not it? Or are you an anonymous superhero like Superman?

You can speak such stupidity at home, your own parent. And not here - publicly. Every trader would be mistaken to admit that he is a trader and that he is sitting on a discussion forum. The trader does not have free time for internet discussion. He has to deal with his business. He would do his own advertising - own website, customer support, search for new clients or new business partners, and so on.
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:46 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Since youre unable to comport yourself with a bit of decorum and enjoy a bit of lively discussion without resorting to personal attacks, im through with you.

As an aside , however, you brought up experience, i just offered a small sampling of my CV.

Good day to you sir.

Friggin Eric Hofmann

Last edited by carnalnclynatns; August 26th, 2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old August 27th, 2017, 06:18 AM
s3n0
Hookah Newbie

I have never attacked anyone here. That's what you're attacking on people you do not know. I just showed you what reality is - from the perspective of a newbie on this forum (so from my point of view).

You are constantly changing, you are perfect and super, and you are presenting your contributions as well. Your posts are often meaningless because you do not write answers to the topic. You're thinking about your own problems so you can answer them. Add new and unnecessary facts. If someone owns a phunnel bowl, they ask for a taste query, so it's good to do it to the fullest extent and respond to everything that was not answered so far. You always respond to my opinion, beyond the majority query at the beginning of the thread. I notice that my opinion is quite right (nothing stupid, nothing invented, nothing empty). You look like you do not understand anything, but you always have the answer to everything and especially your own, the only thing that is perfect for you.
Old August 27th, 2017, 10:14 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Im not sure what you said or what you intended to say there. Its a bit of an incomprehensible rant, but i gather it wasnt an application to my fan club. Thats fine. How bout we stick to forum discussion from here on.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:34 AM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Ignoring the rudeness in this discussion. What would be the explanation for why densely packed bowls work?
Old August 29th, 2017, 03:44 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Tried cleaning everything with coca cola and used starbuzz 1.0 cocobuzz coals x2 same result.
Old August 29th, 2017, 04:32 PM
GrandmasterHash
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Tried cleaning everything with coca cola and used starbuzz 1.0 cocobuzz coals x2 same result.
bro at this rate I'm gonna have to come round and sort it for you
Old August 29th, 2017, 06:35 PM
stabbins
Hookah Enthusiast

its either bad batch of tobacco or as stated earlier heat issue
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook