Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Smoked my first bowl of Nakhla

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Shivers93
Hookah Newbie

Default Smoked my first bowl of Nakhla

Like the title says, smoked Nak for the first time today. Nak Mizo Raspberry, out of a vortex bowl, two sheets of foil, 3 coconaras, 3 rings of holes. The flavor was awesome. The only thing was I noticed I was getting a slight throat tickle. And if I didn't rotate the coals often enough it seemed to get a little harsh. The pack was a light fluff, and I pushed it down a little so no pieces were hitting the foil. The clouds were not very big, pretty whispy. Should I throw it in an Egyptian bowl next time? I don't have a phunnel bowl. Just the vortex, egyptian, and some mya bowls.
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Darkly
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Smoked my first bowl of Nakhla

Definitely recommend a egyptian bowl for this.. It'll make for alittle bit of a mess but a much smoother session then a vortex. Happy smoking!

KM 1001 nights chiller, Chinese twister rig, and the mighty homemade bazooka hookah...Maker of homemade hand-sculpted hookah bowls...Blackleafs, traditionals, Nakhla, Tangiers Noir...mmm mmm good!
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

i prefer nakhla out of an egyptian. i own vortexs, phunnels, crown products, mods, a super chief, and the good old egyptian bowl still seems to be the best for nakhla imo.

[31-01, 21:19] Everythingevil I said I was everything, to that everything is inside me
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:52 PM
fusiontobacco
Vendor

I use a funnel when I smoke Nak too and it's worked fine, but the general consensus around here is that Egyptian bowls are best. I'm going to try that out tonight with some Mizo Watermelon
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
HellSpawn
Hookah Master

Vortex bowls just don't seem to smoke nakhla very well, I always got whispy smoke with nakhla in a vortex as well. Egyptian is definitely a better option, and mizo doesn't drip very much so there wont be too much to clean really.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:32 PM
blackleaf28
Hookah Guru

Nakhla is great in a phunnel, great in an egyptian. there is no night and day difference between the two.
32" KM Trimetal. ~ 34" Temsaah Triple Wheat ~ 36" Temsaah Dual Sphere ~ Nammor Hose ~ KM leather wrapped hose ~ Tangiers Phunnel ~ Egyptian Clay Bowl ~ Crown Classic ~ Black Leaf ~ Zag ~ Khan ~ DA ~ Desi Murli
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM
againuntodust
Hookah Pro

I prefer my nak in the vortex, only thing I use it for really. Try a windcover.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM
SunDevilHookah
Hookah Newbie

I pack my Nakhla a little dense in my Vortex. Dense pack and make sure you're rotating, should be fine.

Edit: Oh...and add a lot of little holes around the center spire, works for me.
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Shivers93
Hookah Newbie

Just got done smoking out of my egyptian bowl. Was a waaaay better session. Still had a little bit of a throat tickle at the beginning. Could the tickle be because I am use to smoking washed tobaccos? Nakhla is my first experience with unwashed.
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivers93 View Post
Just got done smoking out of my egyptian bowl. Was a waaaay better session. Still had a little bit of a throat tickle at the beginning. Could the tickle be because I am use to smoking washed tobaccos? Nakhla is my first experience with unwashed.
it sounds like you got a little too much heat at the beginning of your session. i usually let the bowl heat up for 5 minutes so the coals come down to a more normal temp, when first lit cocos are a lot hotter than they are for the rest of the session

[31-01, 21:19] Everythingevil I said I was everything, to that everything is inside me
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:44 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

pack more tobacco..IMO nakhla needs to be touching the foil, but has to be packed dense enuff so that the heat is conducted to rest of it not just roasting the top few leaves that are touching the foil. so yes its harsh if just a few sparce leaves touch the foil but if all the foil is touching the nakhla and its packed dense enuff it smokes like nakhla should smoke, smooth and flavorfull with nice big clouds.
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
fusiontobacco
Vendor

I wound up smoking that Mizo Watermelon from an Egyptian bowl for once, that was actually very nice and agree that it was a better session overall. The clouds were larger and the flavor felt stronger.

Also +1 to everything twoapplesplease said. Pack it big and pack it dense and you can't go wrong.
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Shivers93
Hookah Newbie

I tried packing it dense like you said so its touching the foil. I have tried everything. I just can't seem to get it to work :/
Old October 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
blackleaf28
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoapplesplease View Post
pack more tobacco..IMO nakhla needs to be touching the foil, but has to be packed dense enuff so that the heat is conducted to rest of it not just roasting the top few leaves that are touching the foil. so yes its harsh if just a few sparce leaves touch the foil but if all the foil is touching the nakhla and its packed dense enuff it smokes like nakhla should smoke, smooth and flavorfull with nice big clouds.
whenever I try this I always get a slightly off burnt taste along with the flavor it's supposed to be. It's not harsh at all.. but I get this off taste. What am I doing wrong?
32" KM Trimetal. ~ 34" Temsaah Triple Wheat ~ 36" Temsaah Dual Sphere ~ Nammor Hose ~ KM leather wrapped hose ~ Tangiers Phunnel ~ Egyptian Clay Bowl ~ Crown Classic ~ Black Leaf ~ Zag ~ Khan ~ DA ~ Desi Murli
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook