Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu
   

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Help improving flavor?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Rheng
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Default Help improving flavor?

Every time i smoke my hookah i get just a subtle flavor (like i doubt i would be able to know what im tasting without knowing the flavor) or none at all.
I'm using some cheapo Chinese hookah but i am planning on getting a mya qt soon. But would a mya really make THAT much of a difference?
I've used a phunnel bowl and modern bowls with coconara's or quicklights or a combination of the two(2 coals usually). I've tried jewels, al waha, and starbuzz shisha.
I've also tried to mix the shisha and that doesn't really seem to help. Also, i'm getting good sized clouds and good thick smoke but still not alot of flavor.
If anyone has any advice on how to get more flavor that people talk about in reviews i would appreciate it.

Last edited by Rheng; September 17th, 2009 at 06:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
merkaba's Avatar
merkaba
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 461
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

could be a number of things ranging from over-heating, over cooling, poor sealing or a nasty hose. Check these things first and if it's obviously not an issue, check out the videos and see what members are doing differently from you.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hayter's Avatar
Hayter
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 2,334
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
could be a number of things ranging from over-heating, over cooling, poor sealing or a nasty hose. Check these things first and if it's obviously not an issue, check out the videos and see what members are doing differently from you.


I agree with that guy. Also, try putting a wind cover on. How many coals are you using?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
twoapplesplease's Avatar
twoapplesplease
Status: Offline
Hookah Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,245
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Try smoking some nakhla might do the trick
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Rheng
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
could be a number of things ranging from over-heating, over cooling, poor sealing or a nasty hose. Check these things first and if it's obviously not an issue, check out the videos and see what members are doing differently from you.

i usually use 2 natural coals or 1 quicklight and 1 natural

There's only one really small leak but you have to put it under a significant amount of pressure for air to come out so i don't think that's it. And as far as i can tell i'm not doing anything different from what people in videos are doing...
And what do you mean "nasty hose"? just like poor quality? or a bad taste (there's no bad taste in my hose)?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
HippieMama's Avatar
HippieMama
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 450
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

If you're using the hose that came with your generic Chinese rig they are usually made from poor quality materials and the inner coil is metal. If that metal has come into contact with any sort of moisture from washing, humidity or from the hookah itself it will rust very quickly and not only make everything taste nasty, but will pose a risk to your lungs because you're essentially inhaling rust particles.

Big clouds really aren't the best indication of quality in terms of the shisha or how your hookah performs. In fact, with some brands you have to reach a compromise - either good flavor or big smoke clouds. I got monster clouds out of my generic Chinese pumpkin, but it was crap - to put it bluntly. When I got my Magdy Zidan and Razan hose I realized just how big of a difference it makes. Yes, you can get some good use out of the generic hookahs you can buy at any tobacco shop, but it's temporary as over time the stem and ports begin to rust and the hose begins to deteriorate. Many people start off with those, but eventually move on to better quality rigs.

Funnel bowls can be tricky if you don't pack them just right, cover them properly and manage your heat well. I would definitely check out the how-to videos here on packing and heat management for a funnel bowl.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Rheng
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
If you're using the hose that came with your generic Chinese rig they are usually made from poor quality materials and the inner coil is metal. If that metal has come into contact with any sort of moisture from washing, humidity or from the hookah itself it will rust very quickly and not only make everything taste nasty, but will pose a risk to your lungs because you're essentially inhaling rust particles.

Big clouds really aren't the best indication of quality in terms of the shisha or how your hookah performs. In fact, with some brands you have to reach a compromise - either good flavor or big smoke clouds. I got monster clouds out of my generic Chinese pumpkin, but it was crap - to put it bluntly. When I got my Magdy Zidan and Razan hose I realized just how big of a difference it makes. Yes, you can get some good use out of the generic hookahs you can buy at any tobacco shop, but it's temporary as over time the stem and ports begin to rust and the hose begins to deteriorate. Many people start off with those, but eventually move on to better quality rigs.

Funnel bowls can be tricky if you don't pack them just right, cover them properly and manage your heat well. I would definitely check out the how-to videos here on packing and heat management for a funnel bowl.
im pretty sure theres not any metal in the hose, when i look through it i can see light coming through...
But i still get little to no flavor with my modern bowls as well =/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
merkaba's Avatar
merkaba
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 461
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheng View Post
i usually use 2 natural coals or 1 quicklight and 1 natural

There's only one really small leak but you have to put it under a significant amount of pressure for air to come out so i don't think that's it. And as far as i can tell i'm not doing anything different from what people in videos are doing...
And what do you mean "nasty hose"? just like poor quality? or a bad taste (there's no bad taste in my hose)?
I think hippie explained it pretty well. She also hit the nail pretty well on the head as far as smoke not being a good indicator of a proper session.

Think of a hookah as less burning, and more vaping. If you're looking for more flavor, then what you really want to be doing is heating up the shisha to release the moist flavored material(glycerin, honey or molasses) and not so much charring the tobacco. If the tobacco is what's smoking, then you have had to already gone through the flavoring to do.

Hope this all helps, keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM
merkaba's Avatar
merkaba
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 461
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheng View Post
im pretty sure theres not any metal in the hose, when i look through it i can see light coming through...
But i still get little to no flavor with my modern bowls as well =/
If you could send us a picture of the hose, or a similar looking one we could probably tell you if it contains metal or not.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM
HippieMama's Avatar
HippieMama
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 450
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheng View Post
im pretty sure theres not any metal in the hose, when i look through it i can see light coming through...
But i still get little to no flavor with my modern bowls as well =/
I really don't think it has much to do with your bowls so much as packing and heat management techniques. Or it really could be that one small leak you have.

As far as the hose is concerned, I could see light through mine as well and it still had metal coils inside. When I ran water through it one time I saw orange water come out the other end which was clearly not from the smoke. I cut into it just for fun and there was metal coil on the inside that had completely rusted out. It wasn't solid metal, obviously, but any metal inside the hose or the handle can rust over time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Rheng
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
merkaba's Avatar
merkaba
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 461
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheng View Post
it's metal :P
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Rheng
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
it's metal :P
damn. Is the one that comes with the mya qt metal?

and im about to have a little session with my friends tomorrow so i'll try using 3 coconaras this time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
HippieMama's Avatar
HippieMama
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 450
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheng View Post
damn. Is the one that comes with the mya qt metal?

and im about to have a little session with my friends tomorrow so i'll try using 3 coconaras this time.
Most of the hoses that come with your hookah are not washable for one reason or another - whether it's having a velvet covered handle, wooden handle, metal coils inside. What you want is a hose that will last you awhile, is washable and won't rust and deteriorate as quickly. I don't have a Mya, so I couldn't tell you the inner workings of their hoses; however, a lot of members here *do* have Mya hookahs and I'm sure could answer your question about metal coils better than I can.

I use a Razan and it's great. It's 100% washable. No metal or wooden materials are used.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM
slick_johnson's Avatar
slick_johnson
Status: Offline
Hookah Pro
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kansas City, KS
Posts: 521
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

Mya hoses are non-washable and have metal coils inside. However, as long as you don't wash it, the hose should last for a while with no ill effects. As hippiemama said, and as most of the rest of us will recomment, buy a washable hose like a Razan or Nammor. Not only can you clean it out, but it looks cooler and will hugely open up the pull of a Mya hookah.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM
glostersa's Avatar
glostersa
Status: Offline
Hookah Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Africa Kempton Park
Posts: 5,499
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

As you say your have people coming over so as a Quick fix try the following http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315 Did it with my one cheap Chinese hose that rusted and man o man it make a huge difference and creates a washable hose as well.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8939 another link with Pics
__________________
***Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says Oh shit he is awake***

Last edited by glostersa; September 18th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Genie's Avatar
Genie
Status: Offline
Hookah Nut
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 376
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

This may sound stupid but there are a couple of things that happen to me sometimes that kill the flavor of my shisha. One is that I LOVE spicy food. Spicy food kills taste buds and if I've eaten really spicy food within a day or two of smoking hookah, I miss out on a lot of the flavor. This actually happens to me a lot because I'm addicted to spicy food.

The other thing is allergies. Lots of pollens and things around here that keep my allergies active and it really affects how things tastes, including shisha. Might be why I like spicy food so much, because I can taste it!

A skanked hose can definitely ruin an otherwise perfect bowl of shisha. So can not cleaning your rig properly. I totally agree with HippieMama on the Razan. If I go too long without washing it, it definitely affects the flavor of the smoke.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rheng
Status: Offline
Hookah Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
Default Re: Help improving flavor?

i made one of those DIY hoses and used 3 coconara's instead of 2 and it was sooo much better. Thanks for the suggestions.

But now, i find myself wondering how much better a QT is really going to be...
Reply With Quote
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting the most flavor... Lekyrr Hookah Discussion 21 September 5th, 2015 03:11 PM
Too much flavor? NickGOA Hookah Discussion 9 March 1st, 2009 10:06 PM
Next AF flavor Cnphoto Hookah Discussion 22 November 5th, 2008 08:47 AM
Getting the most Flavor c000weee Hookah Discussion 15 April 16th, 2008 09:55 PM
Improving Auto Seal hookahs. Lakemonster Hookah Discussion 2 January 5th, 2008 03:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.

Skin Design By vBSkinworks



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2012, Hookah Pro Inc.