Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Help improving flavor?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Rheng
Hookah Newbie

Default Help improving flavor?

Every time i smoke my hookah i get just a subtle flavor (like i doubt i would be able to know what im tasting without knowing the flavor) or none at all.
I'm using some cheapo Chinese hookah but i am planning on getting a mya qt soon. But would a mya really make THAT much of a difference?
I've used a phunnel bowl and modern bowls with coconara's or quicklights or a combination of the two(2 coals usually). I've tried jewels, al waha, and starbuzz shisha.
I've also tried to mix the shisha and that doesn't really seem to help. Also, i'm getting good sized clouds and good thick smoke but still not alot of flavor.
If anyone has any advice on how to get more flavor that people talk about in reviews i would appreciate it.

Last edited by Rheng; September 17th, 2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Help improving flavor?

could be a number of things ranging from over-heating, over cooling, poor sealing or a nasty hose. Check these things first and if it's obviously not an issue, check out the videos and see what members are doing differently from you.

Old September 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hayter
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post
could be a number of things ranging from over-heating, over cooling, poor sealing or a nasty hose. Check these things first and if it's obviously not an issue, check out the videos and see what members are doing differently from you.

I agree with that guy. Also, try putting a wind cover on. How many coals are you using?
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
twoapplesplease
Hookah Guru

Try smoking some nakhla might do the trick
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Rheng
Hookah Newbie

Quote:

i usually use 2 natural coals or 1 quicklight and 1 natural

There's only one really small leak but you have to put it under a significant amount of pressure for air to come out so i don't think that's it. And as far as i can tell i'm not doing anything different from what people in videos are doing...
And what do you mean "nasty hose"? just like poor quality? or a bad taste (there's no bad taste in my hose)?
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

If you're using the hose that came with your generic Chinese rig they are usually made from poor quality materials and the inner coil is metal. If that metal has come into contact with any sort of moisture from washing, humidity or from the hookah itself it will rust very quickly and not only make everything taste nasty, but will pose a risk to your lungs because you're essentially inhaling rust particles.

Big clouds really aren't the best indication of quality in terms of the shisha or how your hookah performs. In fact, with some brands you have to reach a compromise - either good flavor or big smoke clouds. I got monster clouds out of my generic Chinese pumpkin, but it was crap - to put it bluntly. When I got my Magdy Zidan and Razan hose I realized just how big of a difference it makes. Yes, you can get some good use out of the generic hookahs you can buy at any tobacco shop, but it's temporary as over time the stem and ports begin to rust and the hose begins to deteriorate. Many people start off with those, but eventually move on to better quality rigs.

Funnel bowls can be tricky if you don't pack them just right, cover them properly and manage your heat well. I would definitely check out the how-to videos here on packing and heat management for a funnel bowl.
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Rheng
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
If you're using the hose that came with your generic Chinese rig they are usually made from poor quality materials and the inner coil is metal. If that metal has come into contact with any sort of moisture from washing, humidity or from the hookah itself it will rust very quickly and not only make everything taste nasty, but will pose a risk to your lungs because you're essentially inhaling rust particles.

Big clouds really aren't the best indication of quality in terms of the shisha or how your hookah performs. In fact, with some brands you have to reach a compromise - either good flavor or big smoke clouds. I got monster clouds out of my generic Chinese pumpkin, but it was crap - to put it bluntly. When I got my Magdy Zidan and Razan hose I realized just how big of a difference it makes. Yes, you can get some good use out of the generic hookahs you can buy at any tobacco shop, but it's temporary as over time the stem and ports begin to rust and the hose begins to deteriorate. Many people start off with those, but eventually move on to better quality rigs.

Funnel bowls can be tricky if you don't pack them just right, cover them properly and manage your heat well. I would definitely check out the how-to videos here on packing and heat management for a funnel bowl.
im pretty sure theres not any metal in the hose, when i look through it i can see light coming through...
But i still get little to no flavor with my modern bowls as well =/
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheng View Post
i usually use 2 natural coals or 1 quicklight and 1 natural

There's only one really small leak but you have to put it under a significant amount of pressure for air to come out so i don't think that's it. And as far as i can tell i'm not doing anything different from what people in videos are doing...
And what do you mean "nasty hose"? just like poor quality? or a bad taste (there's no bad taste in my hose)?
I think hippie explained it pretty well. She also hit the nail pretty well on the head as far as smoke not being a good indicator of a proper session.

Think of a hookah as less burning, and more vaping. If you're looking for more flavor, then what you really want to be doing is heating up the shisha to release the moist flavored material(glycerin, honey or molasses) and not so much charring the tobacco. If the tobacco is what's smoking, then you have had to already gone through the flavoring to do.

Hope this all helps, keep us posted.
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
im pretty sure theres not any metal in the hose, when i look through it i can see light coming through...
If you could send us a picture of the hose, or a similar looking one we could probably tell you if it contains metal or not.
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:49 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
I really don't think it has much to do with your bowls so much as packing and heat management techniques. Or it really could be that one small leak you have.

As far as the hose is concerned, I could see light through mine as well and it still had metal coils inside. When I ran water through it one time I saw orange water come out the other end which was clearly not from the smoke. I cut into it just for fun and there was metal coil on the inside that had completely rusted out. It wasn't solid metal, obviously, but any metal inside the hose or the handle can rust over time.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Rheng
Hookah Newbie

Old September 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
it's metal :P
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Rheng
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
it's metal :P
damn. Is the one that comes with the mya qt metal?

and im about to have a little session with my friends tomorrow so i'll try using 3 coconaras this time.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
HippieMama
Hookah Nut

Quote:
damn. Is the one that comes with the mya qt metal?

and im about to have a little session with my friends tomorrow so i'll try using 3 coconaras this time.
Most of the hoses that come with your hookah are not washable for one reason or another - whether it's having a velvet covered handle, wooden handle, metal coils inside. What you want is a hose that will last you awhile, is washable and won't rust and deteriorate as quickly. I don't have a Mya, so I couldn't tell you the inner workings of their hoses; however, a lot of members here *do* have Mya hookahs and I'm sure could answer your question about metal coils better than I can.

I use a Razan and it's great. It's 100% washable. No metal or wooden materials are used.
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:08 AM
slick_johnson
Hookah Pro

Mya hoses are non-washable and have metal coils inside. However, as long as you don't wash it, the hose should last for a while with no ill effects. As hippiemama said, and as most of the rest of us will recomment, buy a washable hose like a Razan or Nammor. Not only can you clean it out, but it looks cooler and will hugely open up the pull of a Mya hookah.
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:54 AM
glostersa
Hookah Master

As you say your have people coming over so as a Quick fix try the following http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315 Did it with my one cheap Chinese hose that rusted and man o man it make a huge difference and creates a washable hose as well.

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8939 another link with Pics

Last edited by glostersa; September 18th, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Genie
Hookah Nut

This may sound stupid but there are a couple of things that happen to me sometimes that kill the flavor of my shisha. One is that I LOVE spicy food. Spicy food kills taste buds and if I've eaten really spicy food within a day or two of smoking hookah, I miss out on a lot of the flavor. This actually happens to me a lot because I'm addicted to spicy food.

The other thing is allergies. Lots of pollens and things around here that keep my allergies active and it really affects how things tastes, including shisha. Might be why I like spicy food so much, because I can taste it!

A skanked hose can definitely ruin an otherwise perfect bowl of shisha. So can not cleaning your rig properly. I totally agree with HippieMama on the Razan. If I go too long without washing it, it definitely affects the flavor of the smoke.
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rheng
Hookah Newbie

i made one of those DIY hoses and used 3 coconara's instead of 2 and it was sooo much better. Thanks for the suggestions.

But now, i find myself wondering how much better a QT is really going to be...
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook