Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Project One Alpha

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 28th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Elvirth24
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Project One Alpha

I don't use ice nearly as much as I used to, in fact I barely use it at all. So it's not a huge issue, just something someone else who prefers ice might want to take into account.
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

i dont think thermal shock would be that big an issue, depending on the quality of everything. honestly my crown bowls are cool to the touch at the bottom of the bowls stem. by the time you get down to the actual base water, it shouldnt be a huge deal, i wouldnt think. plus if its borosilicate, id think it could handle the shock. Think boiling flasks attached to condensers with cooling jackets.

PM The_boo for more information.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Tunisiano
Hookah Pro

Send a message via MSN to Tunisiano

Thanks for the info. Are you able to use dif bowls with it? Do you need to use a mod to do so? Same qs go with regards to using a dif hose?
I can't see these glass shishas in real which sucks and many vendors aren't too helpful with this info.
I was looking. At the vapor torpedo on southsmoke which looks like a decent knock off of funos tank but not enough info about it online
Old May 30th, 2014, 11:50 AM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesies View Post
i dont think thermal shock would be that big an issue, depending on the quality of everything. honestly my crown bowls are cool to the touch at the bottom of the bowls stem. by the time you get down to the actual base water, it shouldnt be a huge deal, i wouldnt think. plus if its borosilicate, id think it could handle the shock. Think boiling flasks attached to condensers with cooling jackets.
Agreed. If it's borosilicate, you're good to go (it's also similar to what they make Pyrex bakeware from).
Old May 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Small Voice View Post
Agreed. If it's borosilicate, you're good to go (it's also similar to what they make Pyrex bakeware from).
used to, pyrex brand bakeware is sodalime now, though i think they have a small division of their company that still uses borosilicate, its not the norm anymore for them.

"Pyrex glass cookware manufactured by World Kitchen is made of tempered soda-lime glass instead of borosilicate.[12] World Kitchen justified this change by stating that soda-lime glass was cheaper to produce, is the most common form of glass used in bakeware in the US, and that it also had higher mechanical strength than borosilicate—making it more resistant to breakage when dropped, which it believed to be the most common cause of breakage in glass bakeware. Unlike borosilicate, it is not as heat resistant, leading to an increase in breakage from heat stress.[5][13][14]"

Old May 30th, 2014, 02:31 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

I stand corrected. The point was that, assuming reasonable quality and thickness, the borosilicate (Like what was used for Pyrex bakeware between 1915 and 1998) Should be able to withstand the thermal shock from having one end in ice and the other in contact with burning coals.

I'm actually going to revise my position and advise that you stay on the safe side. Just use room- temp water.

Based on the post saying that these are made in China, coupled with the post from Elvis saying his stem broke the first day, along with Sam's base breaking when he put ice in the base, it's just not worth the risk.

Granted, Juggy's base got colder than ice water would (he depressed the freeze point), but there's really no benefit from putting ice in the base, and there's potential for damage.

Br'er Gnome put it best: if your smoke is harsh to where you need to put ice in your base, quit wasting your time messing with ice and start working on your heat management skills.
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

Quote:
Br'er Gnome put it best: if your smoke is harsh to where you need to put ice in your base, quit wasting your time messing with ice and start working on your heat management skills.
truth. imo the ice in the vase thing is largely a lounge trick so they dont have to change their base water as much and to help make heat management a little easier for the masses.

Old May 30th, 2014, 06:16 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Lol read: gimmick
Old May 30th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

Quote:
Lol read: gimmick
more truth haha

Old May 30th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Elvirth24
Hookah Newbie

My usual clay phunnel fits fine with a normal grommet. My Nammor actually fits in the hose port without a grommet, seals just fine.
Old May 31st, 2014, 10:15 PM
tommy6404
Hookah Nut

Did I see TulAmmo in the first picture you posted? If so, I approve of the hookah pic then
Old June 1st, 2014, 12:34 AM
Elvirth24
Hookah Newbie

Yeah, surplus 7.62x39 for my SKS. It's right next to my hookah stuff.
Old June 1st, 2014, 01:32 AM
Epitocom
Hookah Newbie

^ Don't drop hot coals on it!

In all seriousness though, beautiful pics. Nice looking pipe. After a few experiences with all glass pipes, I think I prefer the old school ones though.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook