Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > General Yada-Yada

General Yada-Yada For discussion not related to hookah specifically ...

US Military begins issuing new "Sniper System rifle"

General Yada-Yada

Reply Share

Old June 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Lakemonster
Hookah Enthusiast

Default US Military begins issuing new "Sniper System rifle"

New U.S. Army Sniper Rifle
by James Dunnigan
May 9, 2007
Discussion Board on this DLS topic
The U.S. Army has begun issuing the M110 SASS (Semi-Automatic Sniper System) to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. This weapon is a based on the AR-10 rifle. The U.S. Navy has been buying a similar weapon, the SR25. This is also known as the Mk11 Sniper Rifle System (SRS). These new semi-automatic sniper rifles are 7.62mm weapons based on the designs of M-16 creator, retired USAF Colonel Gene Stoner. The basis for the M-16 was the AR-15, and a 7.62mm version of that weapon was called the AR-10. About half the parts in the SR25 are interchangeable with those in the M-16.

The Stoner sniper rifles achieved its high accuracy partly by using a 20 inch heavy floating barrel. The "floating" means that the barrel is attached only to the main body of the rifle to reduce resonance (which throws off accuracy.)

The M110 weighs 17.3 pounds in combat, and about 70 pounds with all components of the system. The M110 can use a ten or twenty round magazine. The 40.5 inch long rifle can have a six inch tube attached to the barrel, which reduces the noise and flash made when the rifle fires, and largely eliminates nearby dust rising into the air, which often gives away the snipers position.

Previously, many snipers have had success using tuned up M-14s (from the 1960s) as sniper rifles. While semi-automatic and rugged, the M14 wasn't designed to be a sniper rifle. The AR-10 was a better model for a semi-automatic sniper rifle, since it is inherently more reliable and accurate. As far back as World War II, it was known that there were many situations where a semi-automatic sniper rifle would come in handy. But it's taken over half a century to solve the reliability and accuracy problems.

The M110 will gradually replace the bolt-action M24 over the next few years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Well..... my personal thoughts are that "I dont like it". I feel that anytime you use a semi aouto rifle for sniping you lose accuracy. The other thing about sniping is that a perfect mission is one shot= 1 kill.

The AR rifle family are good stuff.. but they are problematic. They need to be cleaned daily in sandy, muddy, wet.... icy conditions. Otherwise they tend to fould and jam. How are theses guys gonna crawl-drag those rifles for miles through all sorts of nasty and still be able to count on it?
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:17 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten
Default Re: US Military begins issuing new "Sniper System rifle"

i agree lake, with the combat situations these guys face, they will get a bunch of jammed guns.

Sounds like we just got ripped off again.

Also- agree w/ one shot one kill on snipers..... if you're good at what you do it only takes one shot...

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old June 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
BxxxD
Hookah Newbie

Sounds like they are trying to make a sniper rifle for the average soldier, as opposed to a rifle for dedicated scout snipers
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxxxD
Sounds like they are trying to make a sniper rifle for the average soldier, as opposed to a rifle for dedicated scout snipers
yeap, i thought that snipers were supposed to be 1-shot killers... sad times, sad times...
Old June 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I don't think it's right to call any weapon a sniper system unless it can get consistently get 12.5mm groupings at a 500 meters when mounted. In actual field conditions I've never heard any reputable source assert that a self loading system is better then a bolt action one. It seems that basically, the self loading systems benefit from superior flexibility in that when higher rates of fire is possible when needed. Still, I can't think of such a weapon as a real sniper system but rather an accuritized rifle suited to mid-ranged engagements.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:51 PM
DarkD3vil
Hookah Nut

i see these guys just using it as a one shot one kill gun tho like most snipers thats all they will need but if they like get charged or have many people they can fire hit one and then fire again without the bolt action do hahhaha lol i play alot of counter strike and there is a 1 shot 1 kill sniper rifle and then a semi and the semi is good for spraying but the awp is the most lethal/awsomenes...
Old June 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM
ghostofdavid
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to ghostofdavid Send a message via MSN to ghostofdavid Send a message via Yahoo to ghostofdavid

One shot, one kill becomes harder as anti-ballistics improve over the years.

Of course, head shots are still killers with the exception of the odd bullet. If you can hit a moving man in the head.

The UN has used (especially the British) semi-auto sniping firearms for a long time with the claim that their snipers and their rifles are all better than the Remington .308 chambered 700. I have a very hard time believing it as of yet.

I know that I lack the steady hand to snip something as such a long distance away.. but I do ok for man-sized targets at 100 yards with iron sights on my M4gery.

I also do pretty good with an Arsenal (Arms) AK-47 at the same distance but feel much more comfortable with the accuracy of the M4gery.

I have yet to have my M4 jam, but I baby the hell out of it and have never crawled through field conditions to test it out. The dust cover helps, but the fact that the rifle NEEDS a dust cover is a bit disturbing.

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Roflpocalypse
Hookah Newbie

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx only semi-auto id wanna use if i was a dedicated sniper in the field. This new one does seem like more of a frontline weapon for shorter range with better accuracy in that range.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook