Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Dark Side Tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 16th, 2016, 05:53 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Default Dark Side Tobacco

I don't know how useful this post will be, considering most members are from US, but anyway.

There is this new tobacco becoming really popular in Russia called Dark Side Tobacco. Its black, unwashed, boiled, very wet. In terms of strenght its probably between Nakhla and Tangiers.

So far I tried Coke, Earl Gray, Pear, Raspberry and Banana. The tastes are unlike Arabic, Indian or USA tobaccos. All 5 flavors I tried are really good and not artificial at all. 8-10/10. The buzz is great, the clouds are large, the flavors really clear and long lasting. I've been hearing great things about other flavors, but the ones I tried are seriously better than any other brand.

Pear 7+/10
Banana 8+/10
Raspberry and Earl Gray 9/10
Coke 10/10

If you ever come across this tobacco, I strongly recommend you buy it. I am now on a quest to get a hold of more, but it doesn't seem possible from UK.

Last edited by GidroDox; June 22nd, 2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old May 16th, 2016, 06:08 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns
Default Re: Dark Side Tobacco

Ive read good things. I love that theyre using some orientals and that its not just another
" french tobacco" ( ie: junk virginia) offering. Unfortunately, its not distributed in the US.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old June 11th, 2016, 02:01 AM
mattyuk
Hookah Aficionado

shared a bowl with a mate of the strong earl grey/mint last night.
delicious dark undertones really thick smoke that falls to the floor and coats your tongue with a tasty dark almost black treacle with nice tobacco undertones, a real relaxing take your time smoke. defo on my buy list if i see it.
Old June 11th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Gnome
Hookah Master

you have my attention

Old August 1st, 2016, 10:17 AM
mafmaf
Hookah Nut

Are there any Europe shops selling it?
Old August 1st, 2016, 05:42 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

Boiled?

Old August 1st, 2016, 08:07 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Tried to find this thread but it didn't show up in search.

I doubt there are any EU shops selling it, at least not yet.

Since I last wrote I had a chance to try a few more flavors. Cola and Earl Grey are still my #1 and #2, but Virgin Peach, French Macaroon, Ice Cream, Mango Lassi, Bounty Hunter (coconut) are all pretty nice. I'd probably single out Peach for its super strong smell and flavor. Mango Lassi was also quite memorable. I also had 300g of Blackberry which was unexpectedly bland.

Still, all other tastes I had in both lines (soft and medium) are great. The flavors are far better then, for example, AF, they also last way, way longer, the are also much, much harder to overcook. And the buzz you get is just right. I continue to strongly recommend it.

http://kalyan-expert.ru/dark-side-tobacco.html found some of their flavors, picks are in English.

Last edited by GidroDox; April 9th, 2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 1st, 2016, 09:06 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
Boiled?
That caught my eye, too...
Old August 1st, 2016, 10:33 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Small Voice View Post
That caught my eye, too...
^^^^
I assumed it was a translation issue. Cavendishes, for instance, are often toasted and or steamed. Not too big of a stretch to confuse that with boiling when translating.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:39 AM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
^^^^
I assumed it was a translation issue. Cavendishes, for instance, are often toasted and or steamed. Not too big of a stretch to confuse that with boiling when translating.
They use the Russian word for boiled in their description. Russian has words for toasted and steamed so its not very likely that they meant something other then boiled.

Edit: they also say its made using similar techniques as Tangiers and that the 'boiling' process takes 24h, so I doubt its actually boiling.

Last edited by GidroDox; August 2nd, 2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:59 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Had a chance to go through a few more tastes of darkside : Neonmelon (watermelon), Spicy Pear and Salbei.

The watermelon is quite similar to AF Watermelon in taste, maybe a bit tastier. So its a pretty ok flavor, not as intense as darkside virgin peach for example, but still long lasting with a decent kick.

Spicy Pear is an all round inferior flavor to their normal pear.

The one that stood out this time is Salbei (Salvia). I would describe it as Indian spices and cough syrup. The closest flavors to it that I have tried are Afzal Pan Raas and Pan Masala. But they are still quite different. This is definitely not a tobacco for everyone, it is even more overpowering in mixes then Afzal and stains like nothing else.

Last edited by GidroDox; June 22nd, 2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:56 PM
One Small Voice
Sambooka Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
^^^^
Mm. Steamed would make a lot more sense. The "midnight" tobaccos I've had are all steamed.
Old January 25th, 2017, 09:45 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Here's yet another update on a tobacco that most of you are probably not gonna find.

Tried Barberry Gum, overall the usual deal for Darkside, meaning its really good. The taste of gum is the dominant taste here and is more pronounced then AF Gum and the like.

Tried Supernova, now this is something special. I used it in a mix with their fantastic banana flavor. 1 part Supernova, 9 parts Banana. Which was as much of Supernova as I think would be pleasant.

As I wrote before, this flavor gives a cooling feeling in your throat. It feels like very intense menthol, so even if you breathe air you'll still feel really cool.

There is a lot going on here. First, cause you use so little of it, and cause the feeling is lower in your throat, the taste of the main tobacco used in the mix isn't overlapping. Secondly, cause you use so little of it, you can place it strategically and play around with how it affects your session. I did it so that it was there in the beginning, very strong in the middle and then went away, allowing me to smoke as usual. I imagine it could get very annoying if it was there the whole session.

Also tried blueberryblast, I doubt I'd be able to distinguish it from Starbuzz Blueberry Muffin.

Last edited by GidroDox; April 25th, 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old January 26th, 2017, 01:08 AM
St1maxel
Hookah Newbie

Worst tobacco 🤢
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:07 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1maxel View Post
Worst tobacco ������
Too bad you didn't like it. Me and my friends really enjoy it. Which tastes have you had? I hear that they had some faulty batches in Russia, don't know the specifics though, might that be the reason?

It is very popular in Russia and around, too bad its so hard to get outside of it, only in shisha lounges in post-soviet countries, as far as I know.

Last edited by GidroDox; April 25th, 2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old February 6th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Vaarus
Hookah Newbie

Hi, I am new here but can say my opinion about DarkSide tobacco, it is really good tobacco, I am from Portugal, but was in Russia for holidays, tried this tobacco and was very exited about flavours, till now I have tried maybe half of all flavour of this tobacco, all of them are really good.
As I live in Portugal and here shisha comunity is very poor, and there is a big dificulty to buy tobacco, no one sell it here, and I have to go to Spain to buy some starbuzz or al fakher.
Sometimes I order tobacco from USA, but it cost alot to send to Portugal.
Here I am dome sotr of guru for those who love shisha, cause I manage to get some tobacco and coal for them.
I short future I want to open youtube chanel in english to do reviews of Russian tobacco, bowls and hookahs. There are like 50 brands of hookah, alot small fabrics of bowls and staff. For the tobacco there are several too, like DarkSide, Satyr, Dgastro and Dgastro Mini (small bags of 15g and it is very strong one, used for mixes) and alot of other stuff.
At the same time trying to open a small online store with all Russian staff to sell in Europe. Of everything goes well will try to open store (or only import) to USA.

Sorry if there are mistakes in my English... I am just Russian guy who lives in Portugal and loves hookah...
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:54 AM
fastsss
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaarus View Post
Hi, I am new here but can say my opinion about DarkSide tobacco, it is really good tobacco, I am from Portugal, but was in Russia for holidays, tried this tobacco and was very exited about flavours, till now I have tried maybe half of all flavour of this tobacco, all of them are really good.
As I live in Portugal and here shisha comunity is very poor, and there is a big dificulty to buy tobacco, no one sell it here, and I have to go to Spain to buy some starbuzz or al fakher.
Sometimes I order tobacco from USA, but it cost alot to send to Portugal.
Here I am dome sotr of guru for those who love shisha, cause I manage to get some tobacco and coal for them.
I short future I want to open youtube chanel in english to do reviews of Russian tobacco, bowls and hookahs. There are like 50 brands of hookah, alot small fabrics of bowls and staff. For the tobacco there are several too, like DarkSide, Satyr, Dgastro and Dgastro Mini (small bags of 15g and it is very strong one, used for mixes) and alot of other stuff.
At the same time trying to open a small online store with all Russian staff to sell in Europe. Of everything goes well will try to open store (or only import) to USA.

Sorry if there are mistakes in my English... I am just Russian guy who lives in Portugal and loves hookah...
Damn commrade, wish you would import them to Thailand hahaha, it is also quite hard to find tobacco here since it is kinda illegal, wanted to tryout new brands. I've been smoking al fakher for 4 straight years, sad.
Old February 16th, 2017, 12:45 PM
St1maxel
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GidroDox View Post
Ah, too bad you didn't like it. Me and my friends really enjoy it. Which tastes have you had? I hear that they had some faulty batches in Russia, don't know the specifics though, might that be the reason?

It sure is popular in Russia and around, too bad its so hard to get outside of it, only in shisha lounges in post-soviet countries, as far as I know.
Barberry gum
Cola
Torpedo
Space dessert zuks 🤢
Blueberry blast
Pear 🍐
Marry Jane
Old April 8th, 2017, 06:36 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1maxel View Post
Barberry gum
Cola
Torpedo
Space dessert zuks ������
Blueberry blast
Pear ������
Marry Jane
What don't you like about it? I think Cola is awesome, Pear and Barberry gum are pretty good too.

Unrelated: A lounge in St George Wharf, London, finally does good hookah with a wide variety of brands, including Tangiers, Alchemist and Darkside. So for anyone in London looking for a place to smoke, go there (look for the one with those brands on the menu).

Also, tried Basil, sadly it tasted kinda rubbery. Pineapple was average, can't say I ever had good pineapple shisha, and this wasn't much better.

Last edited by GidroDox; June 22nd, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old April 16th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Melvin
Hookah Master

Interesting read
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Tried a few new flavors:

Space Dessert - very clear Tiramisu flavor, can't imagine how this wouldn't be a favorite for lovers of this dessert. Not my top flavor though.

Cookie - As I understand, it is considered to be one of DS main flavors. Its interesting, should do well in mixes. Tastes like the aftertaste you get after eating a cookie with dark chocolate.

Ice Cream - Another main flavor for Dark Side. Mixer, tastes like cream (?).

There are many new flavors being released and a whole new sister brand for lighter shisha called Daily Hookah. They are also getting rid of several flavors, hopefully that won't mean that my reviews are obsolete by the time DS reaches your markets.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:36 AM
Iron_Man
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsss View Post
Damn commrade, wish you would import them to Thailand hahaha, it is also quite hard to find tobacco here since it is kinda illegal, wanted to tryout new brands. I've been smoking al fakher for 4 straight years, sad.
dude I was there in April 2017. almost got arrested for asking around for shisha bars.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 01:59 PM
MysticHaze
Hookah Nut

I really want to try this... going to ask a friend of mine from Eastern Europe if he has any in circulation near him.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:56 PM
GrandmasterHash
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
I really want to try this... going to ask a friend of mine from Eastern Europe if he has any in circulation near him.
Well it's definately not here in Bulgaria unfortunately It's like £25 for 250g anyway so I don't think I could justify the price, even though I could probably get some. The student life is tough when it comes to shisha
Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:57 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Sweet. Youre gonna drive my share down to Maryland , right?

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook