Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Two Apples Problem with Taste

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old April 20th, 2017, 02:06 PM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Default Two Apples Problem with Taste

Hi

All of a sudden: I started to have a problem with the "taste" of two apples tobacco only.

At first, I thought it is because the tobacco I was using has expired (I still smoke expired mint tobacco without any issue ).

Then, I used a newly purchased two apple from "a different brand" but the same problem was there, only with "two apples" flavor.

I used to "love" the taste/feel of two apples tobacco. Now I don't know what is wrong? I only use grape, peach, mint, etc Anyone has an idea what could cause this?

BTW, I cleaned my hose, hooka stem, bowls, etc with soap before I started my last session on two apples, in each and every session I no longer could handle the taste of two apples flavor only, no issue with other flavors. It doesn't taste strong - it taste like it was "sugarless" or something.

I am using MYA 24" Thunder Hooka with Rocasi Hose 78" Washable/Detachable mouth tip with a ceramic OneHole Phunnel Bowl Hookah Shisha Head Bowl Ferris Bowl with Grommet

The tobacco brands are ALAJMY and al fakhamah tobacco and I am using Cocount Coals

Last edited by freedomnow2015; April 20th, 2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:49 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to carnalnclynatns
Default Re: Two Apples Problem with Taste

Im Sorry Freedom, we are equipped to help you with a great many things, but did you really just ask us to explain why you suddenly no longer fancy two apples flavored tobacco??

Im afraid thats top of the list of things we cant answer for you. ( incidentally, we cant explain your affinity for show tunes or speedos either)

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnclynatns View Post
Im Sorry Freedom, we are equipped to help you with a great many things, but did you really just ask us to explain why you suddenly no longer fancy two apples flavored tobacco??

Im afraid thats top of the list of things we cant answer for you. ( incidentally, we cant explain your affinity for show tunes or speedos either)
I been having same problem as him the flavour hasnt been tasting that strong when i pack under the rim but when i pack it to the top and dont pat it down so the tobacco is touching the foil its been tasting how its supposed to so im kind of confused because i always see people say pack it 2mm under the rim so it doesnt touch the foil but i get better results when it does
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:51 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

The "fluffy under the rim pack" rule doesnt apply to Nakhla . Nakhla typically performs better with a dense or, in the case of the two apple, overpack.

For pretty much any other brand ( except for DM and Tangiers) that under the rim rule would apply

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:21 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

I was packing wrong when I packed denser as per 2nd post, I was back on track
Old April 22nd, 2017, 03:47 PM
mattyuk
Hookah Enthusiast

smash Nak into bowl till its full, then add more then foil any number of holes and chuck coal on, you can smoke Nak out of a shoe (tips hat to Jonesies )
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:15 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

What do you guys think about my new hookah in OP?
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:39 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

As long as you enjoy it, thats all that matters.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 26th, 2017, 12:44 PM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
As long as you enjoy it, thats all that matters.
I do, to a certain point.

Today I did try a new flavor, I think it was orange or lime with mint, it does taste a bit better than the two apples, maybe I should go back to mixing mint with two apples. I don't know.

However, while smoking the lime or orange with mint, I did notice that after 20 minutes or so, the tobacco do taste harsher, with little coal taste. I do wonder what could cause it since the taste is slightly unpleasant.

I do wonder if the medium sized 24" have the same experience as the large sized (more than 24").

It just seems to me that the water in the vase is not colored after 45 minutes-1 hour session. I do wonder if this is a sign that my step up is not filtering the water as needed.
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:19 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomnow2015 View Post
I do, to a certain point.

Today I did try a new flavor, I think it was orange or lime with mint, it does taste a bit better than the two apples, maybe I should go back to mixing mint with two apples. I don't know.

However, while smoking the lime or orange with mint, I did notice that after 20 minutes or so, the tobacco do taste harsher, with little coal taste. I do wonder what could cause it since the taste is slightly unpleasant.

I do wonder if the medium sized 24" have the same experience as the large sized (more than 24").

It just seems to me that the water in the vase is not colored after 45 minutes-1 hour session. I do wonder if this is a sign that my step up is not filtering the water as needed.
^^^
The unpleasant taste is due to your ( lack of ) heat management.

Size of the pipe has very little to do with the smoking experience. (Ie: a 24"inch pipe performs everybit as well as a 40" pipe..... and is easier to clean)

You have a phunnel bowl pictured above. The point of which is to keep tge juices in the bowl and prevent them from running down your stem into your water. SOoooo, if thats what youre using your water isnt going to show signs of " color".

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:33 PM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
^^^
The unpleasant taste is due to your ( lack of ) heat management.

Size of the pipe has very little to do with the smoking experience. (Ie: a 24"inch pipe performs everybit as well as a 40" pipe..... and is easier to clean)

You have a phunnel bowl pictured above. The point of which is to keep tge juices in the bowl and prevent them from running down your stem into your water. SOoooo, if thats what youre using your water isnt going to show signs of " color".
My heat management is using three coals and rotate them every 5 minutes, I also remove them and clear them from any particles and clean my bowl from any particles. I do not think I am doing any way wrong. What do you think?

I got your point clearly now. Juice are minimal in this brand and are not running ddown my stem. I know it does sound like a stupid question to ask but thank you for answering it. I am happy to know that my hookah is fit for use.
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:41 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Ok, you are WAY over thinking heat management. No need to rotate every 5 freakin minutes.

Place 3 fully lit flat cocos ( or two cubes) as close to the edge of the bowl as possible. With a windcover you'll probably not be able to get the coals to overhang the edge of the bowl. Thats ok. Wait 3-5 mins for the bowl to heat up. Take a puff. Remove windcover. When smoke gets thin, put windcover back on. THAT is how you heat manage. ( this is generic description. Remember the tobacco, the bowl, the coals... all of these will impact heat management. )

Friggin Eric Hofmann

Last edited by carnalnclynatns; April 26th, 2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old April 26th, 2017, 06:40 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Or... *whispers* get a heat management device
Old April 26th, 2017, 07:51 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GidroDox View Post
Or... *whispers* get a heat management device
^^^^
Young whippersnappers..... probably never learned to tie your shoes either! Sportin velcro keds, Gidro?

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Mr_Stubbes
Hookah Master

Quote:
^^^^
Young whippersnappers..... probably never learned to tie your shoes either! Sportin velcro keds, Gidro?
Using a heat management device before learning how to learn proper heat management is like wiping before you poop.... It makes no sense.
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:47 AM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Quote:
^^^^
I've been smoking for 12 years now, but last time I smoked with foil was probably in 2015. If I was to try it now I'd probably screw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Stubbes View Post
Using a heat management device before learning how to learn proper heat management is like wiping before you poop.... It makes no sense.
I never understood this logic. Is it like the argument for learning to drive manual? (in case of an emergency) Cause, in this case, I'd be willing to take the risk

I mean, the heat management skills you need to use something like a Lotus are pretty obvious. Let bowl heat up before smoking -> More coals=more heat, top on=more heat, closed windows=more heat.

Last edited by GidroDox; April 27th, 2017 at 04:57 AM.
Old April 27th, 2017, 11:43 AM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GidroDox View Post
I've been smoking for 12 years now, but last time I smoked with foil was probably in 2015. If I was to try it now I'd probably screw it up.

I never understood this logic. Is it like the argument for learning to drive manual? (in case of an emergency) Cause, in this case, I'd be willing to take the risk

I mean, the heat management skills you need to use something like a Lotus are pretty obvious. Let bowl heat up before smoking -> More coals=more heat, top on=more heat, closed windows=more heat.
^^^
If you think the only reason to learn to drive a manual transmission is in case of emergency, i cant help you brother.

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 27th, 2017, 02:20 PM
GidroDox
Hookah Nut

Quote:
^^^
If you think the only reason to learn to drive a manual transmission is in case of emergency, i cant help you brother.
Not many other objective arguments for it, at least that I can think of (maybe cause its less prone to breakdowns). More fun? Not for everyone. More economical? Some are ok with paying.

I learned to drive manual, but once I got to drive an automatic I never looked back.

Anyway, back to my original question, I am genuinely curious whats the reasoning behind insisting people learn foil heat management before using a lotus?
Old April 27th, 2017, 03:15 PM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Ok, you are WAY over thinking heat management. No need to rotate every 5 freakin minutes.

Place 3 fully lit flat cocos ( or two cubes) as close to the edge of the bowl as possible. With a windcover you'll probably not be able to get the coals to overhang the edge of the bowl. Thats ok. Wait 3-5 mins for the bowl to heat up. Take a puff. Remove windcover. When smoke gets thin, put windcover back on. THAT is how you heat manage. ( this is generic description. Remember the tobacco, the bowl, the coals... all of these will impact heat management. )
I did try that but it does not change that fact that either way: I am not enjoying my session. It does taste like coal or something when I inhale smoke!
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Abstheguy
Hookah Nut

Post pics of your packing then people might be able to help
Old April 27th, 2017, 06:58 PM
carnalnclynatns
Hookah Master

Im not sure i understand. You posted that you smoked just two apple mixed with grape and loved it.......

Whats the dealio?

Friggin Eric Hofmann
Old April 28th, 2017, 02:34 AM
freedomnow2015
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Im not sure i understand. You posted that you smoked just two apple mixed with grape and loved it.......

Whats the dealio?
Not anymore, it taste like coal.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook