Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

So I was talking to my Lybian friend...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 6th, 2015, 02:47 PM
i r n00bz0r
Hookah Newbie

Default So I was talking to my Lybian friend...

She's originally from Libya, but also lived in Egypt for years before moving Stateside with her family. I got to talking to her about Hookah one day and she had a few interesting notes I thought I'd share. Perhaps you already know these, or perhaps her experiences are different from yours or others. Either way here are a few of her points:

When people buy a handmade Egyptian hookah here in the states, a lot of them tend to be surprised about the differences in quality, with things like soldering slag, variations in paint quality, etc. Apparently in the places where they're produced, they're not actually regarded as pieces of fine art like many do here. They're regarded more as a household appliance or tool, and are sold for prices worthy of such a thing (around $30usd equivalent she said). The cost of import, shipping, and retailer cuts add it up to the $100+ range you see here, and the fairly cheap production costs are the reason they vary greatly, even within a major brand.

Additionally, if someone were to want a fine-art piece hookah for their private use, generally that person would be wealthy enough to approach an artisan to create a custom piece for themselves. That makes it very unlikely you'd ever find an absurdly high quality piece for sale here, unless it somehow made its way through various secondhand sales and onto a site like Etsy or eBay.

Anyway I thought those were interesting so I figured I'd share. If anyone has anything to add or has different experiences, please say so, cultural things intrigue me greatly!

-n00bz
Old March 6th, 2015, 03:28 PM
gordy
Hookah Pro

Yeah im from israel so the prices are around the same and the price differences are insane... And the people don't make a big deal about certain hookahs because there more of a tool and priced likewise... Cheap
Old March 6th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

Default Re: So I was talking to my Lybian friend...

some of the verteran members and i try to iterate these ideas, but really the people just wont have it. That's not how western culture is and the hookah is still too novel to the west. People have to brag about everything, even their appliances. We try to convince people that brand and model name dont matter, but it rarely sinks in.

PM The_boo for more information.
Old March 6th, 2015, 06:56 PM
thekinetic
Hookah Pro

And now I feel like an idiot for buying khalil mamoon for $140 instead of caravan for $80, @#$% it I like the crap out of it!

It seems to me they aren't giving themselves enough credit, the pieces I've seen are quite beautiful. Also you have to account for the fact that so many here in the states have become so accustom to machine made mass produced item that we have forgotten the beauty of hand made artisan items.

Of course there's something to be said about the perfection and consistency that only a machine can provide!
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Boboro
Hookah Master

My coil is a true work of art.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

I've definitely found that to be true. That's part of why i'm happy with the current push toward American made hookahs reaching for higher quality. Now if only they weren't all glass.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Boboro
Hookah Master

Or Flat Black.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Mrmoosestuff
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
I've definitely found that to be true. That's part of why i'm happy with the current push toward American made hookahs reaching for higher quality. Now if only they weren't all glass.
Here here!
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:02 PM
Fearless Smoker
Hookah Nut

I treat my hookahs, as well as my other tools the same. They all have to be:

1. Functional

2. Ergonomic

3. Not be an eyesore

4. Be reasonably priced

5. Quality
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:50 PM
Juggy
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
And now I feel like an idiot for buying khalil mamoon for $140 instead of caravan for $80, @#$% it I like the crap out of it!

It seems to me they aren't giving themselves enough credit, the pieces I've seen are quite beautiful. Also you have to account for the fact that so many here in the states have become so accustom to machine made mass produced item that we have forgotten the beauty of hand made artisan items.

Of course there's something to be said about the perfection and consistency that only a machine can provide!
I've paid 30-75$ USD for all my megaheds shipped
Old March 7th, 2015, 09:09 AM
thekinetic
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
I've paid 30-75$ USD for all my megaheds shipped
Well technically it was free because I bought it through amazon from a place in california, I do swagbucks a lot and other online things for cards and stuff so I always have money on there. Now if they would just sell tobacco!
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Wonder Weasel
Hookah Nut

Some hookah's are true works of art though. A basic egyptian hookah shouldn't even be expensive over here (i seen them for $20-$30) However if you purchase a Syrian or Turkish pipe expect to pay more... I think this is an apples and oranges type of deal you get what you pay for is what i am saying.
Old March 7th, 2015, 02:50 PM
i r n00bz0r
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesies View Post
People have to brag about everything, even their appliances. We try to convince people that brand and model name dont matter, but it rarely sinks in.
That's a really good point. It got me thinking, sometimes you just have to realize that "stuff" doesn't really matter. "My car works fine, I don't need a new shiny one," should be more common and "Oh look I've just enough money to move into a bigger house," should be less.

Perhaps I'm reading too deep into this (or maybe not), but these are the things I ponder.
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Jonesies
Hookah Master

Part of it is this keeping up with the Jonesies mentality the west have. You can't just have a new car, you have to have a new BMW 1 series, turbo charged, cold air intaked, chipped, paddle shifted, extra tinted, bidet enabled car you spent 75k on. You can't just have a hookah, it has to be an exotic surgical space steel koala tear lubricated big name brand pipe you spent 500 on.

PM The_boo for more information.
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:38 PM
i r n00bz0r
Hookah Newbie

Haha! Too bad I didn't know about the Koala tear lubrication option when I bought my all-platinum, diamond encrusted, Ferrari designed 70" hookah with the plasma-ball base. Although that option might have pushed it over my $15,000 hookah budget.
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Wonder Weasel
Hookah Nut

I think everyone has a preference some people like w/e is cheap and works which is fine. Some people like over the top fancy that cost a lot of money as a status symbol. That is fine too. Then there are people who like a certain type of design that is rare / hard to find so they are willing to pay extra to afford that and then use it because it's what they wanted. Bottom line is hookah is subjective. In the end we all come together at the bottom line. Also Yes it is true that in the middle east hookahs can be had for far less i have heard of people paying 10 for a nawras while in syria (before the whole Isis Shitstorm) then that person sold that nawras for over 300 because it happened to be some type of Staff model. So there's a little truth in what OP's saying about his talk with his friend. Pipes can be had for cheap and resold for ridiculous profit. The main reason is money has to be made no matter what. That is a fact of life that goes beyond hookah. Many of us (myself included probably overpaid by a lot to get one of those "Nawras" because they are said to be rare. (yes i purchased one from 5star) lol Also yes i wouldnt be shocked if the importer paid 10$ each for them and sold them to the vendors for cheap as well.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook