Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers help in Kentucky...

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:39 PM
dubbzz
Hookah Pro

Default Tangiers help in Kentucky...

Ok I've been trying to get my Tangiers technic down...key word...Trying. The first bowl I smoked was awesome, great flavor, nice clouds, seamed like the full experience and I enjoyed it a lot! Problem is I have not been able to replicate it. Every bowl I've smoked since then has yielded thin smoke and little to no flavor other than a good tobacco flavor. I have watched all the packing videos and am pretty sure I am following them correctly. I have even tried loose packing it in a vortex which has given me good smoke, but still no flavor. I am hoping one of you in the Louisville, KY area (within an hour or two) that is experienced with Tangier would be willing to meet up with me to help me out. I will be more than willing to drive to you and bring the shisha.

If anybody else has any ideas but isn't in the area, all help will be appreciated.

Current setup for Tangiers:

KM Trimetal
Crown Micro
2 coconaras to start removing one if the smoke gets harsh
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

Default Re: Tangiers help in Kentucky...

Sounds like not enough heat to me, I do two cocos and a windcover, taking the cover off once it is going.

- MustangII on IMC
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:50 PM
Troyboi
Hookah Nut

I've always used two . When trying three it produced nice clouds but got harsh quickly
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Troyboi
Hookah Nut

How are you packing it in the crown micro?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:52 PM
Coyote65
Hookah Nut

The Tangiers I've had anyway doesn't yield a lot of flavor, great smoke most of the time but lack some in the flavor dept for my taste anyway. I use a small phunnel and lightly pack or tamp it down then use my shisha/oyster fork prongs and start at the spire and sorta press down lightly and drag the fork tongs towards the rim of the bowl. I start out with two coals opposite each other on the edge of the bowl and then move them inward slightly until I get my good smoke and if it starts to get a little harsh I move my coals back outward slightly and purge until I get rid of the harsh and get good clean smoke again. When my coals are smaller and close to the center and not getting harsh I throw on a wind cover to keep the heat in from the smaller coals. It could also be your holes and pattern in your foil I use 2 pieces of heavy foil and use more smaller holes rather than less large holes.

Last edited by Coyote65; January 2nd, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:38 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

I have to agree, while there are some amazing tangiers flavours, there are also a lot of low flavoured ones, I'm looking at you tropical punch!

- MustangII on IMC
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:43 PM
Gavin53
Hookah Pro

I use the redwing method... He has a video in his review section an it is stellar, works every time for me.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
MusicMedic
Hookah Nut

as IMC said some flavors are lighter than others! Kiwi-Stawberry is the culprit for me!

but i usually always get flavor though, i think i have tangiers down quite well this is my teqnique:

I use my fingers to pack tangiers in a crown micro quite dense, like pack it pretty good (not till the juces are flowing though) but still dense.. you should try that

I use two cocoultimate coals on starting on the edge, no windcover till later in the session

but yeah try packing it quite dense to the rim of the bowl and see if that helps!

oh yeah one more thing, make sure you mix up the shisha in the container before you pack it
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:21 PM
dubbzz
Hookah Pro

I'm smoking noir line Horchata and Marachino Cherry. The last way I tried was using Redwing's video as reference. I don't have an oyster fork, but use a small dinner fork and pack it dense to the spire. It's dense enough that when I push down on it with my finger the juices flow up. I do need to get a wind cover still so haven't been able to try that but I am using 2 coconaras.

Gavin, you are in KY aren't you? maybe we can get together after a few more attempts if I'm still not having any luck and you can show me what I'm doing wrong.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Dan
Hookah Guru

Send a message via MSN to Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Dan

I always use 3 cocos, with a windcover on and off. Try adding a windcover. I don't think 2 is offering you enough heat unless you are using a super small bowl.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
dubbzz
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I always use 3 cocos, with a windcover on and off. Try adding a windcover. I don't think 2 is offering you enough heat unless you are using a super small bowl.

Using a crown micro, also just purchased a wind cover so I'll add that to the equation once it arrives and let ya'll know how it works.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:10 AM
Crby77
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin53 View Post
I use the redwing method... He has a video in his review section an it is stellar, works every time for me.
Redwing method = eat the welsh cream?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:13 AM
dubbzz
Hookah Pro

I have an unopened pack of welsh cream, just don't want to waste it so I'm practicing on these other flavors til I get my technic down. I also saw a few videos where they don't dense pack, just load the shisha in the bowl and tamp it down...anybody try this?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
Dan
Hookah Guru

Send a message via MSN to Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Dan

Dense pack, without it, Tangiers can burn too easily. With a micro, fill it up, dense it down, then fill again and dense till it's at desired level. Wipe the rim with a towel, foil up and go.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM
Colbz13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbzz View Post
I have an unopened pack of welsh cream, just don't want to waste it so I'm practicing on these other flavors til I get my technic down. I also saw a few videos where they don't dense pack, just load the shisha in the bowl and tamp it down...anybody try this?
That's what I do. That works with lucid only for me. Noir needs to be semi dense. You DON'T have to smash it in, but just make sure you get the holes and coal right. Lots of big holes into the tobacco and half cocos on the rim of the bowl. Works perfect for me
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
MrRoot
Hookah Enthusiast

Try packing a little less dense than you normally do. It might not last as long as when packed really dense, but it smokes a lot better when l do this. At least to me.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
dubbzz
Hookah Pro

Smoking maraschino cherry right now, packed less dense, 3 coconaras and its smoking great, still not much if any flavor. I'm about 25 minutes in.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook