Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Tangiers help please.

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old December 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
quasar_sky
Hookah Nut

Default Tangiers help please.

1. I live in Toronto, Canada.
2. I have 1 lucid - Cane mint and 5 noir - mimon, sevilla orange, orange soda, cocoa, kashmir peach.
3. I have done the 4/20 acclimatization 3-4 times on each. I even leave the tupperware open for an hour before smoking.
4. My tangiers are stored in flat tupperware.
5. My lucid cane mint smokes perfectly and tastes awesome.
6. My noir smokes terribly and gives no taste.
7. My noir smells perfect in the tupperware.
8. I use half coal always. (coconut coals)
9. I have made more than 50 bowls of noir since i got them.
10. I have tried dozens of how-to's for packing noir including eric's original video.
11. I have considerable experience with different tobaccos and have manged to get anything to smoke decently in a few tries max.
12. I have the following bowls - tangiers small phunnel, crown classic v2, crown mini classic, crown micro phunnel (broken spire, i only use for sprinkle packs), crown economy phunnel, large mod bowl.
13. I have tried noir in all of the above bowls with horrible results.

Any and all help is appreciated. Its been 2 months since i got my tangiers and I havent been able to enjoy it even once.
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

Default Re: Tangiers help please.

why half coconut coals? try the the crown classic mini packed down hard just below the perimeter holes, with large fork sized holes in the center of the foil away from the perimeter holes of the bowl. put two cocos on each side giving the bowl 5 to 10 minutes to heat up, that has always worked for me. are getting large clouds from the noir?

[31-01, 21:19] Everythingevil I said I was everything, to that everything is inside me
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
NewSmoker
Hookah Pro

when i use my tangiers small phunnel i always start off the session with 3 full jamras to get it goin... never have used halfs, and always have good sessions... maybe try that
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM
zppydoodah

I have read that if you toss a coin into the air, spin around three times, hop on one foot, say a dozen hail Mary's, bury a black cat bone and keep your fingers and toes crossed, there's about a .003% chance you can get Tangiers to smoke sort of okay. Oh, and it can't have rained in less than, but no more than 3 weeks, 2 days and 12.625 hours.

Never tried Tangiers. No need. Sounds like waaaaaayyyyy too much work for a chance it may turn out.

Besides, Nakhla is really good. AF is good. Annnnd... got my first order of Desi Murli coming, so when I want to smoke, I just fill a bowl and smoke.

Oh yeah, have you tried wearing natural cotton socks? Any poly fabrics could throw of the whole voodoo stuff, then you'd have to start all over again.

Last edited by zppydoodah; December 11th, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM
rrandomhero
Hookah Enthusiast

Agreed with the above, its like going through a weird voodoo ritual to get it to smoke even decently. I gave up after 3 kilos of noir, stick with lucid or another brand
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:47 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

i studied on the subject of tangiers noir heavily before trying and have smoked many many bowls without a problem, its just going to take a method that works for you

[31-01, 21:19] Everythingevil I said I was everything, to that everything is inside me
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zppydoodah View Post
I have read that if you toss a coin into the air, spin around three times, hop on one foot, say a dozen hail Mary's, bury a black cat bone and keep your fingers and toes crossed, there's about a .003% chance you can get Tangiers to smoke sort of okay. Oh, and it can't have rained in less than, but no more than 3 weeks, 2 days and 12.625 hours.

Never tried Tangiers. No need. Sounds like waaaaaayyyyy too much work for a chance it may turn out.

Besides, Nakhla is really good. AF is good. Annnnd... got my first order of Desi Murli coming, so when I want to smoke, I just fill a bowl and smoke.

Oh yeah, have you tried wearing natural cotton socks? Any poly fabrics could throw of the whole voodoo stuff, then you'd have to start all over again.

As much as I love Tangiers, this is damn funny and somewhat true. When it's good, it's good. When it's bad it's abysmal. Happily, I've only had bad experiences a couple times but others are not so fortunate.
Old December 11th, 2011, 02:59 PM
khalsafauji
Hookah Pro

Quote:

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Tangiers. I smoke Lucid since it doesn't really need acclimation and have never had any issues with it. Noir is tough and a lot trickier than Lucid. I was never able to get Noir to acclimate in Maryland, but have never had any issues with Lucid.

Tangiers is a great tobacco and now its pretty much all I smoke.

Question for the OP: Are you acclimating your tobacco in the same room that you are smoking? Eric from Tangiers has spoken about humidity shock can really affect your smoke. Also, try using room temperature water in your base instead. Eric mentioned somewhere that cold water can actually make the smoke harsh.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM
C-Bro
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalsafauji View Post
I was never able to get Noir to acclimate in Maryland, but have never had any issues with Lucid.
Thanks for the heads up, ill remember that

32" KM Trimetal and Mya Mono | Vortex and Funnel bowls | KM Rainbow and Nammor hoses
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Dubsteppa
Hookah Nut

what i do, is let it acclimate until it smells fruity or whatever the flavor is. basically until it smells good. then i pack it down, i use my medium tangiers phunnel. i basically just sprinkle it in. very slightly over the rim and poke holes all the way to the bottom of the bowl. works everytime... oh and since its a medium bowl i use 3 coconaras. and after the flavor kicks in fully i usually take 1 coal off. and put it back toward the end of the session. since you have a small i would say use 2, you would probably have to leave both on the whole time..once you get a good smoke, it is deffinitely worth it. it is tricky though.
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

for a small tangiers phunnel i use three cocos, but put them teetering on the edge to start the bowl and move them in as i need more heat.

Old December 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Dubsteppa
Hookah Nut

yeah, ive never smoked out of a small tangiers, ha. so i was kinda guessing on that part >.<
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
quasar_sky
Hookah Nut

Half coals cause people keep saying to split the heat. I use full size coals or half siz based on whatever catches my fancy at the time.
And no, I dont get large clouds. I can get decent clouds but only if i add another coal or use a windcover. and that makes it too harsh. and what little taste i get goes away.
I have tried what you are suggesting before. doesnt give me any taste and is usually harsh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdndaddy View Post
why half coconut coals? try the the crown classic mini packed down hard just below the perimeter holes, with large fork sized holes in the center of the foil away from the perimeter holes of the bowl. put two cocos on each side giving the bowl 5 to 10 minutes to heat up, that has always worked for me. are getting large clouds from the noir?
Tried that too. multiple times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSmoker View Post
when i use my tangiers small phunnel i always start off the session with 3 full jamras to get it goin... never have used halfs, and always have good sessions... maybe try that
That was hilarious. I some AF and nakhla all the time. never tried desi murli. But i have 7kg of stuff to go through before i order any more.
Quote:

Lucid gives me great results. I like, perhaps in the future i will order only lucid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandomhero View Post
Agreed with the above, its like going through a weird voodoo ritual to get it to smoke even decently. I gave up after 3 kilos of noir, stick with lucid or another brand
Considering I have tried every different method for packing tangiers that I could find on the net and no success, I dont know what will work for me. Any suggestions?
Quote:
i studied on the subject of tangiers noir heavily before trying and have smoked many many bowls without a problem, its just going to take a method that works for you
I dont use cold water, my water is straight from the tap. And yes, I acclimate it in the same room I smoke in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalsafauji View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to write off Tangiers. I smoke Lucid since it doesn't really need acclimation and have never had any issues with it. Noir is tough and a lot trickier than Lucid. I was never able to get Noir to acclimate in Maryland, but have never had any issues with Lucid.

Tangiers is a great tobacco and now its pretty much all I smoke.

Question for the OP: Are you acclimating your tobacco in the same room that you are smoking? Eric from Tangiers has spoken about humidity shock can really affect your smoke. Also, try using room temperature water in your base instead. Eric mentioned somewhere that cold water can actually make the smoke harsh.
My tobacco smells almost exactly like i expect the actual flavours to be. I will try your packing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubsteppa View Post
what i do, is let it acclimate until it smells fruity or whatever the flavor is. basically until it smells good. then i pack it down, i use my medium tangiers phunnel. i basically just sprinkle it in. very slightly over the rim and poke holes all the way to the bottom of the bowl. works everytime... oh and since its a medium bowl i use 3 coconaras. and after the flavor kicks in fully i usually take 1 coal off. and put it back toward the end of the session. since you have a small i would say use 2, you would probably have to leave both on the whole time..once you get a good smoke, it is deffinitely worth it. it is tricky though.
Done that multiple times. Doesnt work for me. Starting is little flavour and small clouds. As it heats up, no flavour and medium clouds.
Quote:
for a small tangiers phunnel i use three cocos, but put them teetering on the edge to start the bowl and move them in as i need more heat.
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

maybe your not giving it enough time to heat up, make sure to let it heat up for 10 minutes without hitting it to let it warm up, if it still won't produce clouds maybe give it 5 or 10 more minutes to heat up. double foiling the bowl may help you. this is all i can think of at the moment.

Old December 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
quasar_sky
Hookah Nut

I guess i can try using one less coal and letting it heat up for longer
Quote:
maybe your not giving it enough time to heat up, make sure to let it heat up for 10 minutes without hitting it to let it warm up, if it still won't produce clouds maybe give it 5 or 10 more minutes to heat up. double foiling the bowl may help you. this is all i can think of at the moment.
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:51 PM
againuntodust
Hookah Pro

heres what i do and its fool proof, works every time, out of a mini phunnel. i pack it up, right under the foil. i poke a bunch of skewer sized holes, i don't poke through the tobacco. i put 3 natural coals directly on the foil, wait 5 minutes, rotate, wait 5 more minutes, rotate back to original position only a little towards the edge, and hit it. perfect, big smoke, intense flavor, every time.
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
quasar_sky
Hookah Nut

Tried that multiple times. Doesnt work for me. I get medium smoke and miniscule flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by againuntodust View Post
heres what i do and its fool proof, works every time, out of a mini phunnel. i pack it up, right under the foil. i poke a bunch of skewer sized holes, i don't poke through the tobacco. i put 3 natural coals directly on the foil, wait 5 minutes, rotate, wait 5 more minutes, rotate back to original position only a little towards the edge, and hit it. perfect, big smoke, intense flavor, every time.
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM
zppydoodah

After reading all the replies and previous Tang threads... still thinkin' you got nothing to lose by trying the cotton socks.

What kind of music are you playing, and at what volume?

Do you talk nicely to your Tangiers? Even when you're not looking to smoke? When you walk into the room, stop, smile and give a pleasant greating. It will pick up on the positive energy.

Even if you are acclimating in the same room... If you're leaving the room and coming back, that could be a problem. Especially if you have a lot of body hair. The hair could be picking up moisture from other areas... you're a walking friggin rain forest! If you don't want to wax your entire body (which would be highly recommended), you should at the very least cover yourself head to toe in plastic wrap.

Maybe it's just sad. Do you keep other tangiers around to keep it company?

Remember, the black cat bone should be buried using graveyard dirt. Many people don't want to take the time to go get some. Well, duh! What do you expect if you don't do it right?

Good luck, brave soul.
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:42 PM
againuntodust
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar_sky View Post
Tried that multiple times. Doesnt work for me. I get medium smoke and miniscule flavour.
What coal brand?

Could be the coals. I wasn't getting the good clouds or flavor, but I chalked it up to a bad pack. Then I tried it with another brand of tobacco, same thing. I switched coal brands mid-session, and voila, the clouds appeared. My coals weren't providing enough heat.

You may not be using enough heat, maybe your coals aren't good. Try another brand of coconut coal like coconara or cocojamra, those always worked for me. The only other thing it could be is that you aren't packing it high enough, but it sounds like you know how high to pack it.
Old December 11th, 2011, 08:54 PM
idwtmat0312
Hookah Nut

OP: I recommend setting up a date with someone who's a tangiers master on TC. The only time I've gotten tangiers to smoke well was when someone walked me through it step by step and monitored my packing.

Mya QT // Shitty Chinese Pumpkin // 28" Awlad Sarhan Fikriyah
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:45 PM
goldzero10
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Really? It just takes time to learn to pack and manage it. It took me a whole 250g to learn to get it right. By far its the best smoke for me, thick clouds, long lasting flavor (8 hours is the longest Ive gone on one bowl), and it becomes easier to manage.

Just read the Tangiers help thread and monkey see monkey do it. Yes it will take longer but its worth it, especially Nior.
Lucid you can pack in anything any way and it smokes all the same.
It tasted like soap the whole time. He literally ran to the sink, put some soap in a bowl, added the shisha and mixed it all around. Then he rinsed it but not so well from what i tasted. He swore it was the best sesh ever. Never will i wash mine
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

another good tip is to start off the bowl with a windcover and leave it on until you start producing big flavorful clouds, and then take it off before you foul the bowl!

Old December 11th, 2011, 10:56 PM
glostersa
Hookah Master

http://www.hookahpro.com/forum/showt...t=37932&page=3

Read The post by HookahWaffle should help you and explain a lot.
Share with your friends on facebook