Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > General Yada-Yada

General Yada-Yada For discussion not related to hookah specifically ...

Any wine fans here?

General Yada-Yada

Reply Share

Old April 4th, 2012, 03:06 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki
Default Any wine fans here?

I'm no wine snob but I do enjoy a glass of red wine from time to time to help me sleep at night. Plus i drink for the antioxidant purposes. Anyways just curious if there are any wine drinkers here.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
AcTiOnJaCkSoN
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to AcTiOnJaCkSoN
Default Re: Any wine fans here?

I recently bought the top shelf wine at my local shell lol. I enjoy wine, I have only had some more sophisticated wines a few times and actually didn't enjoy it. They were dry wine and not a fan of dry wine.
I should expand my experience in this field.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

If you like a nice medium bodied red wine that's not too sweet and not too peppery, give a good cabernet sauvignon a try. I'm in no way a wine snob either, as I actually prefer a quality beer since I have been home brewing the past several months. This is my go to red however.

So assuming by red you don't mean Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot (no offense if that's what you like) you might like it. It also goes pretty well with some Nakhla flavors. I think it would be interesting to try it with some zag....hmmmm. I might have to try that..

32" Nickel Plated Farida Zanouba. Phunnel/Vortex/Egy
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
blackleaf28
Hookah Guru

love me some red wine. I dont go expensive (nothing over $10 a bottle) but i do have selective preferences among the cheap stuff. im never one to say no to a two buck chuck either.
32" KM Trimetal. ~ 34" Temsaah Triple Wheat ~ 36" Temsaah Dual Sphere ~ Nammor Hose ~ KM leather wrapped hose ~ Tangiers Phunnel ~ Egyptian Clay Bowl ~ Crown Classic ~ Black Leaf ~ Zag ~ Khan ~ DA ~ Desi Murli
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackleaf28 View Post
love me some red wine. I dont go expensive (nothing over $10 a bottle) but i do have selective preferences among the cheap stuff. im never one to say no to a two buck chuck either.
Yeah I like cheap wine and expensive beer...it's an odd concept, but that's how I roll.

Old April 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

I prefer whine. I like an adesso red every now and again, some bully hill ain't half bad.
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
jdndaddy
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCarnochan
I prefer whine. I like an adesso red every now and again, some bully hill ain't half bad.
^ this. I love bully hill love my goat and whatever their white is called is pretty damn good as well. The super sweets they have I am not a fan of though.

Sent from my iPoop using Forum Runner

[31-01, 21:19] Everythingevil I said I was everything, to that everything is inside me
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to nerdy

My parents have an extensive wine collection in their house. Growing up around a lot of fine wine and alcohol never interested me until I tried a 1985 San Guido Sassicaia. My gosh! That was the smoothest drink ever.

My favorite has to be the more sweeter dessert types and at the top of the list is Stellar's Heaven on Earth which is a South African wine that can't be found pretty much anywhere. It's pretty cheap compared to the San Guido but it tasted just like a sweet rooibos with a vanilla and apricot undertone. I do love Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes as well! I do also like Zinfandel's when there are not other ones that I like on a menu. If they have Chateau Petrus on their red list, I'm all down!
Old April 4th, 2012, 06:36 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I had a glass of some good French wine when I was in England courtesy of my friend's uncle. Every other wine I've tried pales in comparison. It was apparently a really good year, I forget off the top of my head. Not much of a wine guy. I just like a good beer.
Old April 4th, 2012, 09:49 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Everything from high end wines to the honey and fruit wines I make at home. I love me some wine. There are very few styles that I do not enjoy.
Old April 4th, 2012, 10:13 PM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalutika View Post
Everything from high end wines to the honey and fruit wines I make at home. I love me some wine. There are very few styles that I do not enjoy.
melomel? very niiiice. Mead was my first home brewing experiment. It didn't go so well. However I learned the importance of sanitization quick!

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:04 AM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
melomel? very niiiice. Mead was my first home brewing experiment. It didn't go so well. However I learned the importance of sanitization quick!
Ha! Truth. But, I have also found the beauty of wild fermentation, so it's a push. My first batch was pretty bad. The second one was amazing. Time made all the difference. Coming on to 6 years later and I've made some tasty wines.

When combining fruit and honey I usually stick to cysers. I'm a New England boy, so apples and cider are near and dear to me. I meant that as 'fruit wine and honey wine.'
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:50 AM
TerryAki
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TerryAki

Quote:
If you like a nice medium bodied red wine that's not too sweet and not too peppery, give a good cabernet sauvignon a try. I'm in no way a wine snob either, as I actually prefer a quality beer since I have been home brewing the past several months. This is my go to red however.

So assuming by red you don't mean Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot (no offense if that's what you like) you might like it. It also goes pretty well with some Nakhla flavors. I think it would be interesting to try it with some zag....hmmmm. I might have to try that..
I do like cab from time to time. I recently been drinking shiraz lately.

I honestly cant tell much differences between wines at this point. Still a huge noob. But its definitely something im enjoying. And im not a fan of arbor mist but its not bad lol

Glad to see there are others here though!
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryAki View Post
I do like cab from time to time. I recently been drinking shiraz lately.

I honestly cant tell much differences between wines at this point. Still a huge noob. But its definitely something im enjoying. And im not a fan of arbor mist but its not bad lol

Glad to see there are others here though!
I have had a few shiraz, personally it's a little peppery to me. That's why I stick to cab, but yeah I definitely need to pick up some more wine soon. I can see it pairing well with some flavors.

You are not alone!

Old April 5th, 2012, 12:07 PM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Ha! Truth. But, I have also found the beauty of wild fermentation, so it's a push. My first batch was pretty bad. The second one was amazing. Time made all the difference. Coming on to 6 years later and I've made some tasty wines.

When combining fruit and honey I usually stick to cysers. I'm a New England boy, so apples and cider are near and dear to me. I meant that as 'fruit wine and honey wine.'
Ahh ok, misinterpretation. Wild fermentation though, you're a brave man haha. My gf loves lambic, but I don't even know how to go about starting that.

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:44 PM
kalutika
Mad Alchemist

Quote:
Ahh ok, misinterpretation. Wild fermentation though, you're a brave man haha. My gf loves lambic, but I don't even know how to go about starting that.
Lambics are weird and take a silly amount of time. I'm used to having patience though as I started with mead, which also takes a really long time. Make sure that she actually like lambics before you invest time and money in them. Lindemans is the most common lambic in the US, but they are really sweet compared to real lambics. The real ones are all kinds of funky and surprisingly sour.
Old April 5th, 2012, 11:01 PM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Lambics are weird and take a silly amount of time. I'm used to having patience though as I started with mead, which also takes a really long time. Make sure that she actually like lambics before you invest time and money in them. Lindemans is the most common lambic in the US, but they are really sweet compared to real lambics. The real ones are all kinds of funky and surprisingly sour.
Yeah, lindemans are intensely sweet and sour. I would be interested in trying it, but not till I have other types of beer perfected and I feel comfortable with the process.

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:51 PM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

I've never seen mead for sale in a store. Which confuses me, since I figure pretty much everyone likes the taste of honey.
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:56 AM
EasyRider
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley View Post
I've never seen mead for sale in a store. Which confuses me, since I figure pretty much everyone likes the taste of honey.
It's not very common, but it is out there. I have a specialty beer and wine shop that I frequent that has quite a few to choose from. However, it is not not the same as straight honey. Sure it has a lot of honey in it, but the finished product is not nearly as sweet as you would imagine honey to be. It can be (depending on the variety) very dry and floral. It is an interesting drink none the less, but that's not to say that everyone who loves honey will love mead. It's an acquired taste for sure. I highly recommend trying it at least once if you ever get the chance.

Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook