Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion In an attempt to add some serious discussion (because a lot of hookah smokers like to discuss stuff like this) ...

First Motorcycle Accident

Serious Discussion

Reply Share

Old November 30th, 2011, 01:47 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to nerdy
Default First Motorcycle Accident

On Monday, the twenty-eighth of November, I survived a motorcycle crash. Not to be dramatic, but it was my first ever. A seventy-seven-year-old woman decided to make an illegal left turn four blocks from where I live. I was just leaving a restaurant where I had dinner with some friends.

I hit the front brakes, then the rear brake, swerved left to go around her. I slammed into her rear rim, took flight over her car and then rolled nearly a dozen times until coming to a halt. There was no fear, no sensation, no duration of time.

A lifetime of swimming, cycling and working out kept my bones intact. I got up and people rushed to me. I was fine. There was blood no doubt. I asked the first couple that came to my rescue to find my phone that had flown out of my jacket's pocket. I called my parents and calmly told them I was okay. Along came the ambulance and fire engine.

My beautiful white pearl Yamaha R6 is slaughtered. I wasn't speeding — thank God. I spent the rest of that evening at Mass Gen trauma before they released me with stitches.

A couple of my professors paid visit yesterday bringing me an arrangement of fruit. It breaks my heart that I was so humbled that moment in respect. Like everything else about me, I tried to keep this quiet but the love and support broke through from various channels.

Aside from the road rash and stitches I'm okay. It feels absolutely great not to have to be at school. The sad part is I've ruined the image of riding a motorcycle for my parents and everyone else. The truth is, in fact, for a person who loathes traffic as I do, a motorcycle really is a shortcut and sometimes a shortcut is the fastest way to the back of the line.

I can put together frame by frame the whole sequence of the accident and all I can think of is a quote from a journal of Søren Kierkegaard: 'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards'.
Attached Thumbnails
2ryik5x.jpg  

Last edited by nerdy; November 30th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
southernpipeman
Hookah Pro

Default Re: First Motorcycle Accident

im glad to see you made it ok
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:01 PM
ovation4what
Hookah Aficionado

D: thats terrible. glad ur ok. im into drifting with cars and people call me crazy. iv almost taken my car off of cliffs before. but bikes scare the piss outa me.
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
nerdy
Vendor

This is one of the reasons why I'm against elderly people driving, especially after 5pm.

My brother got my into motorcycles years ago. My sister has her license but doesn't ride. I find it convenient because I'm just one person and it's fuel efficient and I only ride it when it's dry out.
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:13 PM
uglybiker
Quantum Bubblenautics,PhD

There's a sying omong bikers that there are two types of riders: Those who have gone down....And those who are going to.

Welcome to the club.

Glad you're still with us and hope you'll get the bike fixed and yourself back on the road.

Old November 30th, 2011, 09:31 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Ha, thanks! I probably won't get the bike fixed, even though it's paid for in full. Since it's winter already, I'll probably wait until next year to get another bike.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:06 PM
ivan1ruiz
Hookah Enthusiast

Glad you are ok. I had an accident like that too. A Tahoe decided to turn left on a stop light from the inner lane and I was on the outside turning lane. He hit me and I flew and the guy didn't even stop just kept goin. Aside from a huge bruise on my left side and sore ribs I was ok. My bike was completely messed up tho so I feel your pain. Anyway hope you get back on the road and enjoy the ride!
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Haymaker
Hookah Nut

Damn that sucks such a nice bike, but glad to hear you are ok.

As ugly biker has said its only a case of when you will come off.

Every single bike rider I have known/met has come off their bikes at least once, also three people have died as a result of it that I have known.

I have wanted to ride for many years but it just seems each time I start toying with the idea of riding someone I know has an accident or worse

Sorry to be morbid lol but you can never be too careful!

P.S I totally agree on the OAP's should not be allowed to drive on the roads. Love the quote also.
Old December 1st, 2011, 07:10 AM
BobMarley
Hookah Guru

Glad to hear you're okay. It was fate though, everyone falls.

I didn't realize you were so cool.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:06 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate it. It would of been my worse, but thankfully it wasn't.

Once you learn to ride a motorcycle it's as primitive as a bicycle. I'd say 95% of the time you're more focused on other drivers and predicting their next move than on your own riding or the terrain. When the cars aren't there, it's you and the freedom of that open space. I was in traffic earlier today in a car and it killlled me. Traffic is the only reason I ride my bike. I cannot be a civilian driver!

And plus, being a NYCer, I have to be cool ;-p But in all seriousness, growing up in NYC, it is definitely not a driving city. I don't even own a car when I was in NY, it would take the train to go into the city, for work or school, and so forth. I would take my bike in decent weather and only when I was going into Brooklyn, Queens or Jersey because parking in more probable and I wouldn't have to worry about whose tipping over my bike in Manhattan. My brother, whose in NY, has two Honda CBR's and three cars. For what purpose, I don't know.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
uglybiker

I have a bike because I'm close to places like this.

Old December 1st, 2011, 03:16 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post

JEALOUS!
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM
MGHookah
Hookah Nut

atleast your okay a lot of people in motorcycle accidents dont walk away as easy as you were luck enough to
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM
hermespan
Hookah Newbie

glad to hear you're alright. I've had only one crash on my bike, and fortunately it didn't involve another vehicle. you'll be ready to ride again once spring comes around. in the mean time, enjoy some extra time off and get well!
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:46 PM
X_Asif_X
Hookah Nut

at least you are ok!!!
shame about the bike =[
Old December 28th, 2011, 08:27 PM
UKHippY
Hookah Newbie

its good to hear you are okay, but sorry about the bike. it could be beautiful.
@uglybiker. i am pretty jelaous for you I Hungary, i didnt have the oey to buy a real bike, and now i lived in UK... (high taxes, baad weather.)
but minimum once i would like to get a place like that to drive by
As we say it at home as a greeting: Cheap gas and lots of safety miles to you!
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:50 AM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker
Looks like a stretch of i40 going through az then again my brain also wants to saw i10... I've driven cross country too many times lol

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old December 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM
uglybiker

Well, you're not too far off.
It's highway 163 just north of Monument Valley.

I have more pics but they're currently on an uncooperative hard drive.

Old December 31st, 2011, 03:45 PM
KoRnKitten
Moderator Kitteh

Send a message via AIM to KoRnKitten Send a message via Yahoo to KoRnKitten

Wow. I'm sorry I never saw this before. I'm glad you're ok. Bikes can be replaced.. You can't be!

I dropped my R6-S my first day of "riding". I was learning how to ride on my brand new bike! *ugh!* What were we thinking?! lol It was Dec 25th 2006 when I got her and dec 26th the day I dropped her =( She had a scratch on her tank, a broken peg and bent brake lever. Never actually laid her down or wrecked her though. My husband laid his Raven R-6 down in deals gap =/ I wasn't happy to hear about that when he came home. =(

I had to sell her a few years ago to pay bills. I loved riding, but the R6-S was not comfortable for me. I couldn't ride for long stretches and I was always scared shitless that some blue hair down here in FL wouldn't watch where they were going and kill me. =/

GLaDOS: "You euthanised your faithful companion cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations!"
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:41 AM
Colbz13
Banned

shame to see that r-6 in pieces but glad youre alright!
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
cfonseca
Hookah Newbie

Sorry about the bike and accident man, glad to hear that you are okay. I can't stand drivers like that, scares the hell out of me. I've been thinking about getting a bike for a while but they honestly scare the crap out of me. I've seen 3 or 4 really nasty accidents involving motorcycles, one of which was my uncle. It's things like this that remind me that it's not yourself you need to worry about, it's others. Good luck
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM
adamGFN
Hookah Pro

You can replace a motorcycle, but you can't replace one's life. I'm glad you're okay, but once you ride, you always ride, unless you die of course lol. Any chance you'll get another bike?

I had a bike before, but I sold it for other reasons not involving an accident. I'd love to get another bike. it just goes to show you, you can be as careful as you can, but it's those small, last second maneuvers that other drives make that can hurt you.

KM Beast | CharcoBlaze | Fancy | Pico
https://www.youtube.com/user/gfnology
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM
davehzrd
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovation4what View Post
D: thats terrible. glad ur ok. im into drifting with cars and people call me crazy. iv almost taken my car off of cliffs before. but bikes scare the piss outa me.
be careful with drifting man. once i almost flipped my car from a tire blowout and a curb slam mid-drift, which was double scary because my roof is mostly glass and my 6'3" friend was sitting in the car with me, so i would have ended up busting his neck and getting glass shards in both of us. it also cost me $1500 to fix my car up just from one little stunt. i've since been a lot more gentle when i slide my car around turns...and gotten better tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybiker View Post
There's a sying omong bikers that there are two types of riders: Those who have gone down....And those who are going to.

a friend of mine is a very seasoned biker and said that to me once, in those exact words. glad to hear that nerdy is ok, but yeah, everyone who rides regularly is going to get into a fall or accident eventually, i drive really carefully around riders so i'm never the asshole who causes them to fall.
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Penguinette
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Penguinette

My husband and I ride... We are glad to see that you are alright... Keep riding it gets better. P.S. Watch out for old ladies...
Old March 18th, 2012, 11:17 PM
nerdy
Vendor

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamGFN View Post
You can replace a motorcycle, but you can't replace one's life. I'm glad you're okay, but once you ride, you always ride, unless you die of course lol. Any chance you'll get another bike?

I had a bike before, but I sold it for other reasons not involving an accident. I'd love to get another bike. it just goes to show you, you can be as careful as you can, but it's those small, last second maneuvers that other drives make that can hurt you.
I'm actually in the market for another bike, Adam! I'm currently looking into getting either the 2012 Kawasaki 650 or ZX-6R. I'm also looking at the 2012 Ducati 848 Evo; it's one of the lightest bikes I've come across that's over 600cc at 370lbs. It's sexy but at the same time it's a bit bulky, especially for it's weight considering that the Kawasaki is more prettier IMO. I also like the 2012 Suzuki GSX-R600 in all black. Now, that's sexy. I'm trying not to go over 600cc or 450lbs. I've seen a lot of other females ride the Suzuki and especially Kawasaki, since they make the Ninja which is a great beginners bike. That was mine at one point. I have not seen any girls ride a Ducati. I'm guessing that'll make me look badass, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehzrd View Post
a friend of mine is a very seasoned biker and said that to me once, in those exact words. glad to hear that nerdy is ok, but yeah, everyone who rides regularly is going to get into a fall or accident eventually, i drive really carefully around riders so i'm never the asshole who causes them to fall.
When my or either of my family members drive, we're super careful and give the riders an open space. I know what it feels like to be crowded and it sucks. A majority of the time, I drift but that's when the traffic is backed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinette View Post
My husband and I ride... We are glad to see that you are alright... Keep riding it gets better. P.S. Watch out for old ladies...
Heh, thanks! I even watch out for them when driving my car. ;-p
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook