Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Other Stuff - Not Specifically Hookah Related > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion In an attempt to add some serious discussion (because a lot of hookah smokers like to discuss stuff like this) ...

Books and hookah?

Serious Discussion

Reply Share

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM
Springfield03
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Books and hookah?

I am a serious book reader. I have been since first grade with Curious George, in sixth grade it was the Lord of the Ring Series, and through high-school I read a lot of non-fiction, which is what I read now. Among my favorite books were Notes of a Russian Sniper (the memoirs of the famous Vasili Zaitsev, the U.S.S.R. sniper in WWII), Charlie Wilson's War, All the Shah's Men, How The Irish Saved Civilization, and Lie's My Teacher Told Me. I was curious if there were any other readers on this site, and if so, what favorite books did you have growing up, or good books you've read recently?

**A good drink, a hookah, and a book is a perfectly legitimate way to spend an evening.
"Cigarettes are for nervous people, competitive people, people on the run. When you smoke a narghile, you have time to think. It teaches you patience and tolerance, and gives you an appreciation of good company. Narghile smokers have a much more balanced approach to life than cigarette smokers."
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:05 PM
Ayeeeeron
Hookah Pro

Default Re: Books and hookah?

Seal Team Six was the last book I read, it was great.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Springfield03
Hookah Enthusiast

Oh, was that a recent book? I'm sure it's about Seal Team Six and them hunting down Osama.
"Cigarettes are for nervous people, competitive people, people on the run. When you smoke a narghile, you have time to think. It teaches you patience and tolerance, and gives you an appreciation of good company. Narghile smokers have a much more balanced approach to life than cigarette smokers."
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:27 PM
vivalahookah
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield03 View Post
I am a serious book reader. I have been since first grade with Curious George, in sixth grade it was the Lord of the Ring Series, and through high-school I read a lot of non-fiction, which is what I read now. Among my favorite books were Notes of a Russian Sniper (the memoirs of the famous Vasili Zaitsev, the U.S.S.R. sniper in WWII), Charlie Wilson's War, All the Shah's Men, How The Irish Saved Civilization, and Lie's My Teacher Told Me. I was curious if there were any other readers on this site, and if so, what favorite books did you have growing up, or good books you've read recently?

**A good drink, a hookah, and a book is a perfectly legitimate way to spend an evening.
I read The Trilogy in sixth grade too. As an adult I've enjoyed the Potter books and Dan Brown, especially loved DaVinci Code. It grabbed me about 3 paragraphs in and couldnt put it down!
Also a fan of CS Lewis.

Wish I had more time for reading but working 60 hr weeks. I'm good for about 15 minutes and then start nodding off.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:16 PM
Klepto254
Hookah Pro

Do coimic books count lol if not the last book I read was assholes finish first by tucker max. I like books that can make me laught my ass off or can pull me in really deep into the story so alot of fiction

32" KM ceramica-41" KM triple trimetal-34" Regal Melech-11" MYA Bambino
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:09 AM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

I like science fiction a lot. Scott Westerfeld's non-uglies books are amazing but he sold out real bad with that series. Arthur C. Clark's childhoods end is also one of my favorites. And yes comic books count. I've been reading the walking dead, way better than the TV series and I also like manga a lot.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
nerdy
Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to nerdy

I read a lot of classical literature. I don't have favorites, instead I have favorite authors which I can't just choose which books I'm more fond of. I love all books written by Marcel Proust and I consider myself to be a Proustian scholar. In fact, I have an extensive library filled with different translation of his literature. Also books written by these authors:

Marcus Aurelius
Anaïs Nin
François-René, vicomte de Chateaubriand
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Rainer Maria Rilke
Wolfgang von Goethe
Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky
Gustave Flaubert

I also love any books based on Greek and Roman mythology as well as anything that has content about Nicomachean Ethics.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:21 AM
michaelsteele
Hookah Guru

Dostoyevsky is pretty heavy stuff, but did enjoy The Brothers Karamasov recently. Just finished : Edison, Inventing the Century (Baldwin) and enjoyed that one too. Mostly like biography and history books, but like the classics also. Not so keen on more modern stuff, not because it isn't good, but the classics are the classics for a reason.....like Nakhla....
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 AM
joemacgames
Hookah Nut

I love non-fiction. Here's what I've read/ started reading in the last couple years that stuck with me.

Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science By Atul Gawande. I want to be a surgeon, so that's why I picked it up. It's about the power and limits of medicine.

The Ice Man- a book about Richard Kuklinski, the contract killer from the 70s and 80s

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution by Richard Dawkins. As the title states, it outlines evidence for evolution lol A great book for anyone interested in science or evolution.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins- basically, he presents an argument against the existence of any supernatural creator. Again, a very good read.

Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson- his travel log from his travels in Australia. Very funny (as are all of his books)

And thats about all I can remember right now
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
redwing91007
Hookah Master

If you haven't already joined the hp book club you should

Regal Melech -> Nogoom Hose -> Nakhla, Tangiers -> Sukka Swells Phunells -> CocoNara
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:57 PM
phatdaddy
Hookah Pro

the dark tower series from stephen king. amazing read.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

I was reading before I was two, banged through the LotR series when I was seven, Illiad and Odyssey in third grade... I was a weird kid. Recently I have read Growing Up Amish, which was very interesting and The Nerdist Way. I am currently reading the first Witcher novel, The Long Walk by King, Voice of the Fire by Moore and A History of the World in 6 glasses amongst others.

If you are looking for a good book to read while smoking DM try Shantaram.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
CenlaKokem
Hookah Aficionado

i just recently read the millennium trilogy by steig larson. then quickly read the hunger games trilogy because me girlfriend pressured me into it. i did enjoy them tho. they where quick reads that you didnt wanna put down. and now that i have gotten her turned on to smoking we frequently sit, smoke, and read. very nice nights.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
SaraaiKar
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCarnochan View Post
I was reading before I was two, banged through the LotR series when I was seven, Illiad and Odyssey in third grade... I was a weird kid. Recently I have read Growing Up Amish, which was very interesting and The Nerdist Way. I am currently reading the first Witcher novel, The Long Walk by King, Voice of the Fire by Moore and A History of the World in 6 glasses amongst others.

If you are looking for a good book to read while smoking DM try Shantaram.
I loved the long walk so much. I wouldn't shut up about it when I finished it, kind of like the hunger games people were awhile ago lol.
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Silent Decay
Hookah Newbie

stephen king classics(it christine, cujo, salems lot, the dead zone), anne rice(vampire *******les,the wolf gift), tolkien(lotr ,hobbit ,the silmarillion), robert jorden (the wheel of time series), brandon sanderson(Mistborn series,wheel of time) are my go to authors not including manga and graphic novels
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Sambooka
Sambooka Jr.

There is a Hookah Pro Book Club ..

As for books:
City of Thieves by David Benioff .. hmmm maybe we should do that one for June 3rd?

http://www.hookahpro.com - Hookah Pro Community - Hookah Forum
~Favorite Hookah~ Khalil Mamoon Amer .. (she leans, so I call her Eileen)
~Favorite Setup~ Egyptian Hookah, Vortex Bowl, Natural Coals (Exotica or Coconara)
~Current Flavor Favorites~ Ayam Zaman 1001 Nights, Hookah Freak Spiced Apple Cider, Starbuzz White Peach
Nakhla Double Apple, Nakhla Earl Grey, Nakhla Sweet Melon, Nakhla Cinnamon, Nakhla Cardamom, Nakhla Fakhfakhina Mixed Fruit, Nakhla El Basha Grape
Al Fakher Mint, Al Fakher Orange, Al Fakher Cinnamon
HookahPro.com .. powered by Elites!
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:18 PM
cyber wolf
Hookah Guru

I like to read alot of religious texts. Whether it is fiction or nonfiction is debatable, but the Bible is honestly the most interesting and intriguing book I have ever read. I want to read it again. I would also love to read the Koran, but just havent gotten around to finding an english version (Although I haven't really looked). I have also read some of the Tanakh.

I also love books on ancient mythology, angelology, and demonology, and nonfiction based paranormal events.

Also, I absolutely loved the harry potter series growing up. That is the only obvious fiction book that ever completely sucked me in.

I will admit that I am not a huge reader anymore though, unfortunately.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM
AcTiOnJaCkSoN
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to AcTiOnJaCkSoN

"A good drink, a hookah, and a book is a perfectly legitimate way to spend an evening."
Great quote, I just started to read again, been while(besides for mandatory school work lol).
I was starting a book yesterday "the myth of mental illness" fairly interesting so far, I definitely plan on getting into the habit of hookah + books.
Mostly into theology, philosophy, ethics, and psychology.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Nintyplayer
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatdaddy View Post
the dark tower series from stephen king. amazing read.
I've been reading the Dark Tower series as well. Right now I'm in the middle of Wizard and Glass, and I can't find the next book at any of my local books shops...

Other than that, I've been working through Thus Spoke Zarathustra and some H.P. Lovecraft.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
Moke
Hookah Enthusiast

I honestly only read technical manuals and music biographies/related anymore. But if you're into that kind of stuff the new Traktor Kontrol F1 user manny is a solid information dump. Also, just finished My Cross to Bear - Greg Allman, which if you're into him or the Allman Brothers at all is an awesome book.

I guess if you want me to count REAL books:

Fiction:

Daybreak Zero - John Barnes. Complicated, over-your-head-dialogue at points, but interesting and a quick read.

Game of Thrones series - George R. R. Martin. If you're into fantasy at all, even a tiny bit, these books are captivating (well were to me) through every... single... book.

Non-Fiction:

The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg. I was iffy at first but it's almost comical how much sense a lot of it makes, interesting to say the least.

These are just my recent reads, I recounted them as more of a list in case anyone was interested in picking any of it up. But that awesome TKF1 manny you're gonna have to find on your own, or buy the unit yourself for around $250 haha.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
Game of Thrones series - George R. R. Martin. If you're into fantasy at all, even a tiny bit, these books are captivating (well were to me) through every... single... book.
I am running through this now, 39% of the way through the first book. It was too dense with names, people and towns, too many were too close to each other and made my brain hurt, after watching the first season of the TV show it is much better.
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Moke
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMCarnochan View Post
I am running through this now, 39% of the way through the first book. It was too dense with names, people and towns, too many were too close to each other and made my brain hurt, after watching the first season of the TV show it is much better.
I've actually watched the show as well, it's great how close they keep to the story you rarely find that with screen adaptations. I hope you continue reading the books though as they only get better, the 4th one was freaking awesome.
Old May 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM
IMCarnochan
Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
I've actually watched the show as well, it's great how close they keep to the story you rarely find that with screen adaptations. I hope you continue reading the books though as they only get better, the 4th one was freaking awesome.
I plan on it, I am over halfway through the first book. I tend to read a few books simultaneously, finished the first book of the hunger games trilogy in the interim.
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Goofster12
Hookah Newbie

Some of the authors I like to read are:

Stephen King
Piers Anthony
Ray Bradbury
Erin Hunter
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:14 PM
Sk3tchyboy
Hookah Nut

i read all non fiction i enjoy anything from philosophy and read the life and trial of socrates not all that long ago i also absolutely love books on evolution and my most recent read was guns,germs, and steel a book on sociology i only read things that i can learn alot from now although i used to read lots of fiction anything from the lord of the rings trilogy/the hobbit to harry potter and one of my personal favorite johnny tremain i also like frankenstein and dracula
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook