Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Nurturing a sore throat

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old February 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX
Default Nurturing a sore throat

So for the past couple day, my GF has gotten me sick, but I had to see her before she left on a couple day trip to VA. Every morning I wake up with the most possible sore thoat in the world. The only thing I have in my house are sucrettes (spelling) and tha seems to help a little. In another thread, John mentioned smoking Nakhla or Tangiers was a good idea because they don't make your throat as raspy. Well, he was right I packed my mini phunnel with some Tangiers orange soda and my nose started running. When I blew my nose all the icky stuff came out. This may be a good way to clear your sinuses, but I also suspect that I may be getting better I suppose.

Can ne1 give me any recommendation on medicine on how to nurture a soar throat? Thankfully, I don't think I have the cold or flue cause nothing is aching and I haven't been coughing yet. I'm about to make a trip to wawa, but I don't really know what the best remedy is since most of the time I am a naturalistic kind of person. The other thing is, I still wanna celebrate my graduation.

Beers fermentation also sooths the throat for a couple hours, but it comes back when I go to sleep and wake up. Gargling hot water with salt isn't doing the trick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
mr2guy
Hookah Nut

Default Re: Nurturing a sore throat

Maybe trying sleeping the "Breath Right Strips" You might just be breathing through your mouth at night due to stuffy nose which would dry out your throat makeing it sore.
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

i've got the same problem right now dude, and i don't know what to do either. :/
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
MiRo
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to MiRo

At the moment I got almost the same thing but I made a hot bath + some stepsils (something like that spelled pills for sore throat ). Now i'm fine and back smoking hookah on the bathroom floor )))
Make sure your neck is covered while you sleep could do the trick also
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
medicare
Hookah Nut

Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas for school. Little Rock, Arkansas during the summer time

Theraflu liquid nose and chest congestion relief works really well. Its in a bottle the liquid is orange, really helped me sleep when I had bronchitis last week. Also....whiskey, honey, lemon and tea mixed(called a hot todi) does wonders for the throat, and loosens you up a bit. Just like half a shot or shot of whiskey per 8ox of liquid will do for the todi. Trust me it's quiet lovely
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:23 PM
FusionX
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FusionX

what if i take straight shots
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

a pretty good home remedy that ive tried and works really good is to take 1 clove of garlic and crush it in a small glass and add some nearly hot water. gargle like you would the hot water and salt. according to the home remedy book i had read garlic is a natural antibacterial and should help. i know it worked really well for me.

and since your girl is out of town the garlic breath shouldnt matter LOL
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM
hookahplayer21
Hookah Nut

Mix some honey with Jack Daniels and you should be good. It always works for me anyways.
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
boxerbabe84
Hookah Nut

I just got over a horrible sore throat and stuffy nose. The thing that helped me the most was putting some vicks vapor rub under my nose and on my throat. It seemed to clear my sinus. It helped keep the nose goop from running into my throat.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:20 PM
-FliM-
Hookah Nut

I had glandular fever this time last year and the sore throat side of it f'in killed me:

First, don't smoke for a few days. Restricts blood vessels, makes it harder for the body to heal itself.

Second, no dry/scratchy/salty foods. If you have open cuts/sores/scratches in your throat and not just swelling, they're gonna hurt.

Get an antiseptic mouthwash/gargle, over here in Aus there is one called Betadine, not sure what you guys have over there. Lemon throat lozenges help with soothing.

If it's still bad more than a few days after it started, go to the doctor and ask them, if they think it's appropriate (they are the doctor of course), if they can give you an anti-inflammatory to settle your throat down. These things are the biz.

Hope something in there helps, seriously though, don't smoke for a few days, no matter what flavour it is smoke isn't good for your throat
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:23 PM
HookahGuru
Hookah Nut

Gatorade will not help your throat but it will help you recover faster. A doctor I used to work for said something about the electrolytes. Also stay away from things with lots of sugar, like candy. It only makes it easier for the germs to grow in your throat.
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

best things i can suggest

-use a sinus rinse, not just a spray but the full blow rinse, it is weird as shit the first time you do it but i promise it helps, i do it every day now

-juice and vit c are your friends, try mixing a bit of baking soda in to juice and drink it (like 1/8-1/4 tsp) supposedly it makes your body go basic in the PH and kills the cold faster (was told it by an alternative med guy i go to who is pretty good with his treatments)

-follow a diet that makes your body go basic in PH (google what the foods are) it helps and its not too bad, dont have to go hard core with it just avoid some of the acidifying foods and look more towards the ones that make you go basic (ironically citrus fruit/juice make you go basic)

-the only cold med that works for me is good old pseusdefed (how ever you spell it), and musinex, the other crap in some of the meds keep me up bad at night and give me anxiety at night (and i dont ever have anxiety attacks normally/during the day, just when i take night quil and cant fall back to sleep after 4 hours of hard sleep)

-idk if smoking really is good for you when you are sick but i noticed that some flavors do kick stuff out or at least make your nose run, i usually stick to mint and citrus flavors and since nakhla and tangiers are more natural i guess it has the real thing in them.

push the fluids and get a lot of sleep, avoiding any foods with gluten (any thing with wheat rye and barley) may help kick it out faster as well, i have celiac so eating that is really really really bad for me (my body lets gluten into my blood stream basically as apposed to keeping it in the digestive track and gluten is horrid for your system no matter if you have an issue with it or are "normal", but in my case it made my colds last for months and once i stopped eating anything with it my colds were a few days... along with a lot less digestive "upset", lost my pudge, and felt better)... </ gluten free rant>

but seriously use the sinus rinse, its not like getting water up your nose in a pool, the pressure is there but not that sting in the back of your head, it can be a touch tingly but its not bad
-matt
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook