Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

glycerin

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 28th, 2007, 12:55 AM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Send a message via Yahoo to abu ronin
Default glycerin

I have a problem w/glycerin based shisha. I'm gonna be honest. I've never smoked a shisha with glycerin in it that I really enjoyed. It just always seems to be unbelievably sweet. now I'm sure this is a matter of taste because many of my fellow hookah pro shisha enthusiasts enjoy the many brands that use it. I've tried pharaohs, king moassall, al waha,romman, and most recently fusion(see new reviews) and just can't seem to get over it.
I just seem to have a prefference for the more traditional, moallasses/honey based products(my favs.btw, are fahker, havana, and al nahkla).
I have the utmost respect for the tastes and opinions of all my friends here @ hookah pro and would just like to know how the rest of you guys 'n gals feel about this topic. And please, inshallah, lets not let this turn into another "tangiers" type "I'm right ,your wrong" type thread.I'm truly interested in all of your opinions and that's why I'm bringing it up.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: glycerin

I do see where your coming from. Many glercyine type shishas can be alittle overpowering in the sweetness factor. But I also enjoy the honey/mollasses based ones as well.

I think it's more of the accutal flavor that probably scores it for myself. I've tried many flavors (like peach, strawberry and coconut) in several - several different brands. Some flavors I perfer sweeter (strawberry & peach), but other I like more realistic tastes that less sweet shishas offer (coconut).

It's probably all down to personal tastes. As I always say - "What I like, you may hate and visa versa. You'll never know till you try it."
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM
sznapsy
Hookah Nut

Dunno what your talking about tangiers type thread where I'm right your wrong, and where you saw a thread like that, but the glycerin based vs honey never really made a difference to me. I enjoy shisha's with both, and I pick more of a flavor to be my favorite versus a brand. Never really bothered me which one used glycerin vs honey.
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM
HookahMaster
Hookah Pro

I've never really had a problem with smoking either type of shisha... I've smoked Al-Amir and it was good, but I still prefer Starbuzz (which is glycerin/honey based) for it's more pronounced sweetness and flavor.. IMO there isn't any other shisha that has been able to beat Starbuzz at its sweet and strong flavor. Other flavors just don't do it or me... they don't seem to be as flavorful...
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

I'd agree, to each their own. I like some glycerin and non.
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Dunno what your talking about tangiers type thread where I'm right your wrong, and where you saw a thread like that,

I was reffering to a thread awhile back where there was some bickering w/regards to tangiers. That's all. No need to get deffensive However, this is all besides the point, As I stated, it is a matter of taste clearly.I just wanted to pick the brains of other shisha smokers. I understand how some could enjoy both clycerin and moallasses based shisha, I've just yet to find a glycerin shisha that I truelly enjoyed, although I have heard some good things abouit starbuzz.
Btw, I appreciate everyones input!!
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
hookahfire
Hookah Nut

I recently bought some glycerin, however, the bottle says it is for external use only and in case of ingestion, contact poison control center immediately. Is this what I am supposed to use or did I buy the wrong one?
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Is it vegetable/vegetarian glycerin?

And glycerin doesn't alter the flavor, it's supposed to be tasteless. I add it to some tobaccos that are a little drier, like Nakhla Sweet Melon, and it doesn't alter the taste at all, but improves the clouds to a great extent.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:36 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

WOW! This thread makes me feel old!LOL
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

Abu... i think maybe you should try some JMs. It is great stuff and really takes the best of things like nakhla and then the best from SB and the like and combines the two. Not saying it is better than Nakhla or anything... so dont murder me anybody, lol.
22" Temsaah Mini-Wheat
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

i'll try any thing once killer. But keep in mind, I originally posted this in 2007.

Last edited by abu ronin; February 15th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
kwijibodavid
Hookah Newbie

i dont think ive ever had a glycerin based tabacco i mostly smoke the honey based starbuzz i didnt even really know that there was other bases. im going to have to go out and see if i can find some thats glycerin based.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

BRAINS!!
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:46 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

This was one of my first posts here @ HookahPro. Hold on,........(sniffle).... I'm getting a lil emotional. The nostalgia is hitting a nerve.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:49 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwijibodavid View Post
i dont think ive ever had a glycerin based tabacco i mostly smoke the honey based starbuzz i didnt even really know that there was other bases. im going to have to go out and see if i can find some thats glycerin based.
I have some startling news. Starbuzz is ALL glycerin. It's one the the heaviest glycerinized(did I just make up a word?)products on the market.
Old February 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Well, no tobacco is purely glycerin based. The more glycerin, the bigger the clouds. Most tobaccos come with molasses that's a mix of honey, glycerin, and other chemicals.

Like I said, if you don't like SB, but you do like the big clouds, just add a couple of teaspoons to your 250g of Nakhla goodness and enjoy huge clouds!
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:02 PM
abu ronin
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSebsch View Post
Well, no tobacco is purely glycerin based. The more glycerin, the bigger the clouds. Most tobaccos come with molasses that's a mix of honey, glycerin, and other chemicals.

Like I said, if you don't like SB, but you do like the big clouds, just add a couple of teaspoons to your 250g of Nakhla goodness and enjoy huge clouds!
Honestly, I could care less about clouds. It's all about flavor baby!
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:13 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu ronin View Post
Honestly, I could care less about clouds. It's all about flavor baby!
Well then Nakhla is the right choice!
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
CypherEnigma
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Well, no tobacco is purely glycerin based.
Epic is probably the closest you can get. The containers are a swimming pool with little bits of tobacco in there as well.

36" Al Falkher Solid - 36" KM Copper Heart Two Hose - 22" Temsah Mini-Wheat(a.k.a. Golden Nugget)
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:45 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Is that even smokeable?
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:07 PM
chadtizzle
Hookah Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to chadtizzle

holy 3 year thread!!!! :O

i'm a fan of both. i'm actually ading about 1/8 tsp to each bowl of nakhla now because i do have a sweet tooth. i like smoking in a phunnel bowl and it makes nakhla smoke perfect for me. it lasts about an hour longer, the taste comes out stronger, and the smoke is thicker.

but if you overdo it, the whole thing tastes like soap. some of you might say stuff like "adding glycerin to nakhla is an abomination reborn." these are the people that have never tried it.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtizzle View Post

but if you overdo it, the whole thing tastes like soap. some of you might say stuff like "adding glycerin to nakhla is an abomination reborn." these are the people that have never tried it.
Word!
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:35 AM
gnuworldorder
Banned

Quote:
Is that even smokeable?
yes off a bet when i was shimammered i smoked leg hair and glycerin. i was too drunk to taste but it probably tasted like soap since its a main ingredient in a lot of soaps. iirc al waha isnt glycerin based. i would recommend against adding glycerin to any tobacco because it ruins tangiers, and makes af taste bad and nakhla taste like a bar of soap. and i used 99.5% USP grade
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:39 AM
DaSebsch
Hookah Aficionado

How much did you put in? It never alters the taste when I add it in, it does add a large amount of smoke though!
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM
MC_Gatty
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuworldorder View Post
yes off a bet when i was shimammered i smoked leg hair and glycerin. i was too drunk to taste but it probably tasted like soap since its a main ingredient in a lot of soaps. iirc al waha isnt glycerin based. i would recommend against adding glycerin to any tobacco because it ruins tangiers, and makes af taste bad and nakhla taste like a bar of soap. and i used 99.5% USP grade
...LEG HAIR? Made my night.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook