Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Egyptians Vs Syrians

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old September 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

Default Egyptians Vs Syrians

What are the differences between Egyptian and Syrian Hookahs besides the bowls? What are your likes and dislikes about each.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:04 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Egyptians Vs Syrians

I know Syrians tend to be heavier and slightly more bulky in the build. They tend to be more ornate and often look more "machined" than handmade. Many Syrians come apart. Most modern Syrians do have the standard Egyptians head styles - although the orginial did have the male head fitting.

A good Egyptian is a soild hand made rig. Most are stainless steel, although some have a brass core and or other metals in the stem construction. They tend to look less machined, more hand made. They can get ornate, but most are more "plain" looking, very traditional in style.

Most of the true Egyptians I've have have been larger (bowl port, stem port, purge valve) than the more modern hookahs or my Syrians.

I have 3 Syrains, 1 Egyptian, 1 Modern..... I like both my Egyptian and Syrains about the same. I like the traditional shape of the Egyptian, but the ornatness and extra "heaviness" of the Syrians makes it feel much more.... worthly? It's hard to explain.
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:12 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Some Syrians nowadays are made with machine crafted parts to ensure a perfect look and fit (all of H-S Syrians include machine parts), and include an Auto-seal function.

JandR Syrians look traditional, and perfect, and i believe they are hand-crafted, maybe some machine parts.

But egyptians are always hand-made, and fit hand-made.
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

Yes, J & R Syrians are hand made. Some parts, however, have to be machined. Like the Heart, because it is threaded, etc. Other than that, all hand...including the vase.
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

I knew he would chime in! But i think they look wayyyy better than H-S. And Those 22" egyptians look pretty awesome too...

But anyways.. i think there is no difference in smoke quality, just your preferences.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Bowl differences seems to becoming a thing of the past as most Syrian narghiles have adopted Egyptian style bowls.

The best that the Egyptians have to offer (El Ashrey and KM in my opinion) have excellent material, fit and finish quality although they are not as ornamental the better offerings from Syria. The Syrians tend to have more machined parts which I think is better in terms of ease of cleaning and the design of the heart. Still, the fact is that either a well made Syrian or Egyptian will offer a great rig that will last you many years of fine service so its basically a matter of personal preference.

I should mention that Persian & Lebanese rigs tend to be very ornamental, use top quality materials and while hand built have excellent fit quality. They do tend to not have as much machined and cast parts as the Syrians which I think makes for harder cleaning. Also, the ornamental painting found on the Persian & Lebanese rigs will wear off with use while Syrian style etching does not. In terms of smoke quality Id say that the best rigs from Syria are a better then the best of what Egypt, Iran and Lebanon have to offer but a lot of very smart people disagree with me on that point so.....
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook