Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Good Quality Hookahs?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
kgutta
Hookah Newbie

Default Good Quality Hookahs?

Hey guys how is it going im interested in buying a new hookah and i know for sure that i want a Km hookah becuase their really good in performance and quality and alot of people have them so i know that their good.So i wnan know which Km hookah should i buy cause i know that their are different Km hookah models so what so you guys recommend to get?
also i wanna get a new hose and bowl i want the perfect combination i heard Razan hoses are really good and vortex bowls? what do you guys think . and lastley i dont wanan go anything over 200 bucks guys so if u know any good websirtes that sell everything i want for cheap let me know.. thanks alot guys take care .
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Aarons
Hookah Newbie

Default Re: Good Quality Hookahs?

Please note that KMs are hand-made. So the weld jobs and stem work is very noticeable.
All KM smoke the same. There may be a small difference from hookah to hookah, but its more about how the hookah is setup. This means your going to want to buy the hookah that YOU like best.
As for the hose and bowl, I personally use a razan and a km/phunnel bowl. The razan is very nice, I'm told it can start to leak over-time, but I have not experienced that. I hear great things about the vortex bowl, honestly I smoke nakhla so keeping the juices in isn't a priority. The standard KM bowl works great.
And last, I stand behind **********.com. He is a great person to buy from, his coals are top notch along with his customer service.
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
bradedup
Hookah Master

**********, thehookah, and hookah company sell all three and u should make it out ok there....

vortex + razan/grand/nammor + km and ur set.

make sure u have some decent coals too
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

KM for the win ..... best hookahs available in the market
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Jshock
Hookah Newbie

If i was going to go buy a km i would get a tri-metal, but i use mya saray hookahs because they truley are the best hookahs you can buy. razans and vortex bowls are great as well. now are you gonna buy a ceramic vortex or metal one. i have a ceramic one, and a metal one is expected to be on my doorsted in the next 8 hours.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:39 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Send a message via AIM to FeliFeliWooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons View Post
Please note that KMs are hand-made. So the weld jobs and stem work is very noticeable.
All KM smoke the same. There may be a small difference from hookah to hookah, but its more about how the hookah is setup. This means your going to want to buy the hookah that YOU like best.
how does size factor into this equation? Im hopefully going to be buying a new rig (would have gotten it a week ago but lost my money in a poker game lol)
I don't want to spend a fortune either.
Old March 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

AL Fakher rig. they are solid, great pull, and a perfect purge.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Siken
Hookah Nut

Mya....
This ( https://www.mylane.de/shisha-laden/p...shisha_star_ii ) + Buzzer Hose/Nammor + great Bowl like a Tangiers Phunnel Bowl or a nice Chinahead = good equipment

The MYA Star 2 should also be available in the states.

But a KM is also good, and i think every KM should be "ok" :>
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeliFeliWooo View Post
how does size factor into this equation? Im hopefully going to be buying a new rig (would have gotten it a week ago but lost my money in a poker game lol)
I don't want to spend a fortune either.
Size isnt a huge factor with KM. The most you'll notice is a difference in resistance on the pull, and thats usually only when you're looking at pipes greater than 10" apart.

20-28" Pipes all smoke the same, 30-38" pipes all smoke the same, 40-48" pipes all smoke the same.

The larger you go, theres a *little* more resistance, but nothing thats going to bother most people.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahWaffle View Post
Size isnt a huge factor with KM. The most you'll notice is a difference in resistance on the pull, and thats usually only when you're looking at pipes greater than 10" apart.

20-28" Pipes all smoke the same, 30-38" pipes all smoke the same, 40-48" pipes all smoke the same.

The larger you go, theres a *little* more resistance, but nothing thats going to bother most people.
so spending more on getting a bigger rig = worse pipe?
personally i could care less if im smoking out of a bottle of water as long as its good
so why would i spend more to get a bigger hookah?
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
so spending more on getting a bigger rig = worse pipe?
personally i could care less if im smoking out of a bottle of water as long as its good
so why would i spend more to get a bigger hookah?
I actually prefer a little more resistant draw, plus I love the look of my 34" KM.
Its not "more money for a worse pipe", its paying for what you like the look of / enjoy smoking out of.

Dont take things out of context, its bad.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
I actually prefer a little more resistant draw, plus I love the look of my 34" KM.
Its not "more money for a worse pipe", its paying for what you like the look of / enjoy smoking out of.

I LOVE a tighter draw. When your hookah is over 26" and you have a rather long hose that is of smaller diameter (relatively), you get a cooler smoke. The smoke is literally noticeably cooler through my AF Syrian with my mod hose/sm. phunnel+mod/2 coconars setup- compared to my KM with the exact setup.

Tighter draw + Height = Cooler smoke.

I never noticed it before, but it makes perfect sense now.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:38 AM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

Quote:

yeah sorry
i guess i worded my mini-rant wrong
ive owned 4 hookahs now and bought each one solely based on looks
im hoping to buy my first km/mya after my next couple of paychecks
cant decide
im probably going to spend like $80 max. so il probably have to go with a smaller one

was thinking of buying one off of a hookah lounge (un-used of course)
but idk.
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
HookahWaffle
Deleted Per User Request

Quote:
yeah sorry
i guess i worded my mini-rant wrong
ive owned 4 hookahs now and bought each one solely based on looks
im hoping to buy my first km/mya after my next couple of paychecks
cant decide
im probably going to spend like $80 max. so il probably have to go with a smaller one

was thinking of buying one off of a hookah lounge (un-used of course)
but idk.
For $80-$100 you can get something in the 28-34" range.
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:42 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

a local lounge called Saphires (john/cali people might now about it) is going out of buisness
selling there rigs for $50 a piece
thought it might be gross to buy one
but i guess i smoke out of them everytime i go anyway so why not?
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Jesus, the KM fanboys are playing with your mind.

Want a hookah that is gorgeous, smokes like a champ, purges like a champ, is strong and durable?

Well you should avoid those overpriced tin pipes they call KM's and get you some brass sir, some good ol' Syrian Brass.

I fell in love w/ my new alfakher rig, you can buy it from AFO by calling or emailing them.

Al-fakher Hookah Review part 1
Al-fakher Hookah Review part 2

seriously an excellent hookah

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
FeliFeliWooo
Hookah Pro

but im not really looking to drop 120+ on a hookah...
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

By the time you buy KM, they will be shoddy crap quality compared to the old stuff.
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

the irony is killing me.

how can you call someone a km fanboy when you just hoped on the AF bandwagon and are AF syrian fanboy now.

the AF hookahs are pretty damn expensive too. 100 bucks for the small and 115 for the large? you don't think that's a tad bit expensive? you also have an old one, how can you for sure say the new ones are just as good (i'm not arguing they aren't, however the same could have been asked about KM a few months ago).

i like the AF hookahs. I don't like the prices they want for them.
i like the nour hookahs. but i wouldn't pay 100 for a small one.
i like trimetal kms, but i'd hold off on buying one right now.

everything is way overpriced. considering kms were priced much more fair when they hit the market, and were higher quality, i think its inane to sell these newer kms at such high prices (especially as we're in a recession).

i just don't know if its fair to attack km fanboys if they have a product they happen to like.

and personally, im glad im not in the market for a hookah, its looking like a pretty bad time to buy anything right now (hookah wise)
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
the irony is killing me.

how can you call someone a km fanboy when you just hoped on the AF bandwagon and are AF syrian fanboy now.

Some people are sickeningly biased ... sigh ....
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Pretty much all of the big Egyptian brands are well built rigs that are pretty similar. I don't think it matters if you get an MZ, KM or El Ashrey in terms of functionality provided that you get something that is 30" U.S. +.

Personally, I am a big supporter of Syrian made narghiles since the solid, machined brass is simply the best material I know of for the application. I also have found that they purge better, have a somewhat tighter draw and cooler smoke. Syrian glass tends to have less air pockets and a higher borosilicate content which makes for a heavier and more durable base.

Bottom line is that better Egyptian stuff is great but nothing can beat a high quality Syrian.
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajo Flettner View Post
Pretty much all of the big Egyptian brands are well built rigs that are pretty similar. I don't think it matters if you get an MZ, KM or El Ashrey in terms of functionality provided that you get something that is 30" U.S. +.

Personally, I am a big supporter of Syrian made narghiles since the solid, machined brass is simply the best material I know of for the application. I also have found that they purge better, have a somewhat tighter draw and cooler smoke. Syrian glass tends to have less air pockets and a higher borosilicate content which makes for a heavier and more durable base.

Bottom line is that better Egyptian stuff is great but nothing can beat a high quality Syrian.
this man speaks of great truth
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
patelbadboy2006
Hookah Master

Send a message via MSN to patelbadboy2006 Send a message via Yahoo to patelbadboy2006

I now have 2 KM's and 2 MYA's and the hookah i use for everyday smoke is my chinese rig, it is well built and smokes great, its all bout preference, its what you like the look of and what type of draw you are looking for, if you take good care of you hookahs they will last you a decent amount of time, ive had my chinese one for a year with at least 1-2 bowls per day and it still smokes as well as day one.

Don't buy a KM cause everyone says KM's, they are plenty of other hookahs out they on the market, pick something you like and maybe post a link of it to see if any ones had any experience with it, as im sure most hoookahs out they have been smoked by someone on HP that can tell you how they are
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:17 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post

i just don't know if its fair to attack km fanboys if they have a product they happen to like.

and personally, im glad im not in the market for a hookah, its looking like a pretty bad time to buy anything right now (hookah wise)
Well, you know I say it cause its true. I have no problem admitting I love Syrian brass and that I suggest it all the time. My main issue is that every time someone asks for a hookah to get its always, OMG0dX0rz KM!!! Half the people suggesting it have never smoked anything else or just a cheap chinese knockoff before. Yes, I just got my AF, but hey, its a nour hookah with an AF labled jordanian base (a lot of syrian hookahs use jordanian glass) and an AF ashtray. I show you the stem in my vid up close and show you how its the exact same thing basically.

I've been supporting nour as well as syrian brass in general on here for a while. I bought my nour from John for 80 bucks, at the time, it wasnt expensive. The fact of the matter is that too many people support KM because of the branding. I support nour and Syrian Brass in general. The reason is the quality, a brass hookah is so much nicer than a steel or aluminum one. If this helps KM:Syrian Brass :: Hyundai:Audi. Im seriously talking about build quality. Then comes smoke quality, yes, they give you a big hole on your purge vavle to purge quicker than a nour, but maybe a second faster. Then again, theres my glpyh which purges like instantly. They make the downstem flange out on the km giving you the appearance of a wider stem, but its not, plus its still limited by your hose port, which is still smaller than that on my new Alfakhnour.

A lot of the syrian hookahs sold on the market are just stems placed on top of shitty glass, its true. but this goes with egyptians as well. It will take effort on your part to find a rig that wont displease you, but thats part of the fun. When you actually get the rig you worked hard on looking for, when you talk to vendors or distributors like kerabetian directly or some wholesalers, just to get a deal and the right pipe and parts, then you've done your work. My glass bases are heavier than my taller KM base, including my genie base. my stems are all heavier and stronger than my KM stem, excluding my genie stem. I'm sorry, but just cause you got a good hookah with little effort, doesnt mean you got a better hookah.

If you don't want to listen to me on build quality, listen to Hajo, he has one of the most respected opinions on this forum.

As for whats available on the market today, yes, the market has been hit in all sectors. The nours are definately not of the same quality now as the one i bought, and as i hear it the KMs are not of the quality that even i bought mine at (which was honestly sad). But i really support syrian brass in general, you know hookahwholesale has the glyph for like half the price that h-s has it? and the heavy machined stem is more stunning than steel and a solid colored "pear" could ever be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
Some people are sickeningly biased ... sigh ....
you're one to talk, guy...

-------------------
Let me say this again, just to get it out there. KMs are really good hookahs. They are available everywhere, lots of people have them, and they do the job and do it with style......just not as well as Syrian Brass.

My KM now is just my mint hookah, it can be ghosted w/ mint flavor forever for all i care, i was thinking about selling it, but instead, i figured I'd keep it around for a point of reference since KMs are so widespread.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Scoop
Hookah Guru

comparing audi to hyundai is a joke. audi has a horrible track record, while hyundai is one of the top quality cars (believe it or not...go look, 2nd most reliable car maker after lexus).

anyhow, you have a cheaper build km, its not even a trimetal. the trimetals are higher quality. its hard to compare the cheapest build quality km to a nour. with a car analogy lets say its comparing a civic (not a bad car) to an audi rs6. obviously the rs6 is gonna be nicer...in addition, you know nour has non-brass hookahs as well. they have crappy ones too

ive had a 23" nour, i have the same nour you do, i have 2 old syrian glyphs (that look exactly like my nour and have a massive hose hole in the bottom), i have 7 kms.

my favorite hookah easily is the near 3 year old syrian glyph however i still think a bunch of my kms pull better.

all the jars are crap imo. syrian/jordanian ones , km bases. i really dont think any if them are better than the others. all about bohemian jars imo.

get whatever aesthetically pleases you.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook