Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

A Little Reality on SCHIP

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend
Default A Little Reality on SCHIP

A few days ago the mater of the SCHIP taxes came up and the mater of health care. I suppose since this affects all the Americans here and a bunch of us that regularly get tobacco shipped from the U.S. a little bit of reality should be injected into the discussion.

The following article is pretty good although I don't endorse the organization that created the study cited.
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Hookah Master
Default Re: A Little Reality on SCHIP

honestly i like what the tax funds but i think like ZEN said in another thread we dont like the way it does it. there are other things that can fund this or at least share the burden.

i dont understand though how it was determined how much to raise the tax, chewing tobacco is going up about 5-8 bucks per pound, while roll your own tobacco is going up 23 bucks per pound. the only logic i see there is that roll you own tobacco is sometimes seen as a more luxury thing (at least some of it) and there is much less weight to it for the amount you use, compared to how chewing tobacco is usually more of a rural thing and it is stereotypical for rural people to have less money but idk,

it would have been easier to just put like a 1% increase on price, people wouldnt even really notice it and wouldnt complain much
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Hookah Enthusiast
Send a message via AIM to wonderland

that was a great article hajo wow... never thought that anyone could write like that lol its nice... i even printed it out to keep with my other hookah related stuff... with all of these papers i have u'd think id be writing a grad paper.
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

I suppose it's possible that Obama's economic advisers are stupid enough to think that raising tobacco taxes is a politically safe way to pay for health care but I doubt it. Given that a literal mountain of evidence exists demonstrating that onerous tax burdens REDUCE tax revenue it seems to me that this whole SCHIP thing isn't about providing health care at all. Instead, i'd wager that SCHIP is about forcing controlling what people do. It's about the government deciding what you can and can't do with your money. It's about deciding what the sort of businesses should be able to exist and which ones should taxed/regulated out of existence.

All the blather about health care for poor kids is simply a way to sell greater state control over peoples' lives to the economically uniformed.
Old March 12th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hookah Pro

hajo i couldn't have put it any better well said good sir
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook