Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Alcohol in the base?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 13th, 2009, 09:52 PM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

Default Alcohol in the base?

Does liquids like vodka add to your buzz when put in the base? Just curious
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB
Default Re: Alcohol in the base?

This is gonna start a huge arguement like always. I personally have felt more buzzed when i have done it. But others swear it isnt possible.

Last time it was brought up somebody said they had access to a breathalyzer and was gonna test it. Never got any results from that experiment though.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

i have never done it, but my friends that do it say they get more of a buzz from it. logically you would get alcohol into your blood stream if it is getting picked up from the smoke (which it probably is at least a little) seeing how your lungs are basically a direct route to your blood and your nose is a straight shot to your brain. that being said the amount is very small and probably doesnt raise your BAC very much.

so in the end you will get flavor (if the spirit has a flavor) and you may get more of a buzz (be it real or mental)

-matt
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

well, if we said it did, then the placebo effect would come into play and you would feel more of a buzz, its human nature. But most of it is the buzz from the nicotine that stimulates your neurotransmitters, thus causing the release of dopamine, and since you expect a buzz from the alcohol in the base, and chances are, your having fun doing it, then more dopamine is released making it seem like your getting more of a buzz.

I was at a party and we had a 50 gallon barrel filled with juice, we had no alcohol so a few friends left to get some, as people showed up to the party, they drank the juice thinking it had alcohol. We got back and everyone was "drunk" when really it was just the sugar buzz that was heightened by the dopamine released of actually partying. We then added alcohol to it and people were all confused and then we told them that there was none, everyone sobered up just like that, even though they were already sober.

at least thats my interpretation of it..

'edit: fuck i just burned my hand on the windcover....lol
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldgr33ntea View Post
well, if we said it did, then the placebo effect would come into play and you would feel more of a buzz, its human nature. But most of it is the buzz from the nicotine that stimulates your neurotransmitters, thus causing the release of dopamine, and since you expect a buzz from the alcohol in the base, and chances are, your having fun doing it, then more dopamine is released making it seem like your getting more of a buzz.

I was at a party and we had a 50 gallon barrel filled with juice, we had no alcohol so a few friends left to get some, as people showed up to the party, they drank the juice thinking it had alcohol. We got back and everyone was "drunk" when really it was just the sugar buzz that was heightened by the dopamine released of actually partying. We then added alcohol to it and people were all confused and then we told them that there was none, everyone sobered up just like that, even though they were already sober.

hmm makes sense. I was looking more into like the flavored vodkas for certain flavors. But it wouldn't be worth it if it doesn't really do anything cause I would imagine the Vodka itself would be a little strong.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSmokeHookah View Post
hmm makes sense. I was looking more into like the flavored vodkas for certain flavors. But it wouldn't be worth it if it doesn't really do anything cause I would imagine the Vodka itself would be a little strong.
yea, its always safe to go with stuff that smells nice, that way the flavor will naturally permeate throughout the smoke. Like tea, it smells nice and always goes great in the base. But some alcohols, especially vodka will just give it a weird flavor, unless its loaded with extracts and such to make it give off some type of aroma. Personally, i hate the smell of vodka, but if it appeals to you it might be worth trying.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

IDK, I think I am just going to mark this off as a horrible idea lol.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
remember that you are inhaling smoke passing through a bunch of water that you have added one -2 shots of 40% alcohol to. so theres not much alcohol in there at all

Quote:
But some alcohols, especially vodka will just give it a weird flavor, unless its loaded with extracts and such to make it give off some type of aroma. Personally, i hate the smell of vodka, but if it appeals to you it might be worth trying.
vodka shouldnt give it any flavor if it is good vodka, remember it is a tasteless odorless spirit
-matt
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

I was looking at Vodka Twist, like Vodka Blueberry twist and I was thinking about filling the whole base with vodka not just a couple of shots.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Quote:
I was looking at Vodka Twist, like Vodka Blueberry twist and I was thinking about filling the whole base with vodka not just a couple of shots.
So you want buzz and flavor?
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenSilk View Post
So you want buzz and flavor?

Yeah, it almost seems taboo to talk about. I had a friend tell me that he put Vodka Twist Blueberry in the base of his hookah and smoked blueberry Shisha and it made it tastes amazing, plus he said he got a good buzz. (More than likley from the shisha) I was just thinking of things to put in the base and just wanted to know peoples opinions really.
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
solo_one87
Hookah Nut

Send a message via AIM to solo_one87 Send a message via Yahoo to solo_one87

its a waste of liqour but it definatly works i've done it a few times, i also set up the same bowl same pack of shisha and smoked 2 diffrent sessions, one with liq one without, with my friends and they agreed
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

I really dont believe it adds a buzz... but I dont know honestly. I have put wine, whiskey, tequila, vodka, bourbon, and other alcohol. I go for flavors... every time I added alcohol to my base it was planned for the flavor of tobacco. I love jack and coke in the base with AF cola in the bowl... I think it is quite amazing. I guess its up to the person.
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
chain
Hookah Pro

i think i'm gonna set up two hookah's with the same shisha and and have someone else put everclear (probably 3 parts everclear 1 part water mix, in my experience smoking with just 100% hard A in the vase makes it shoot up high and get in the hose port for some reason) in one vase and just water in the other and have my friends and i smoke and see if we can tell the difference.
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
i think i'm gonna set up two hookah's with the same shisha and and have someone else put everclear (probably 3 parts everclear 1 part water mix, in my experience smoking with just 100% hard A in the vase makes it shoot up high and get in the hose port for some reason) in one vase and just water in the other and have my friends and i smoke and see if we can tell the difference.
with that much everclear you will know which is which by which burns your throat

waste of good liquor

-matt
Old March 14th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Spiller
Hookah Nut

I tried vine and water mix in the base once, all i got was kinda bitter taste, no buzz increase what so ever.
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

ive smoked out of pure cheap unadultrated vodka before, no added water.

You can definately feel a harshness added, like a extra burn, and not a tobacco burn sensation. Its probably the vodka vaporizing, and yeah i felt different. I'm not gonna call it a buzz.

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Trivial
Banned

Quote:

Wtf... could they not smell the juice and tell there was non.. LMAO

but yeah not all people react to things the same and there are different variables that can be attributed to adding alcohol in the base such as people increasing the amount of shisha they smoke trying to get a buzz from the alcohol which then increase the nicotine and then could trigger increase in serotonin and opiate levels

All I know is that I put alcohol in there and nothing happened and I was like I could of just takin the Fu**ing shots instead... stupid idea in my opinion
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
HookahSteve25
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial View Post
Wtf... could they not smell the juice and tell there was non.. LMAO

but yeah not all people react to things the same and there are different variables that can be attributed to adding alcohol in the base such as people increasing the amount of shisha they smoke trying to get a buzz from the alcohol which then increase the nicotine and then could trigger increase in serotonin and opiate levels

All I know is that I put alcohol in there and nothing happened and I was like I could of just takin the Fu**ing shots instead... stupid idea in my opinion

Btw, this is not trivial.

Hey mods....Learn your stuff.

Terminology

In the traditional sense, opiate has referred to not only the alkaloids in opium but also the natural and semi-synthetic derivatives of morphine (itself an opiate). The term is often incorrectly used to refer to all drugs with opium- or morphine-like pharmacological action, which are more properly classified under the broader term opioid.

"smite me oh mighty smiter!"

/thread closed
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:10 PM
BIGPOPPA
I call it hypocritical BS

Old March 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
wicket_nirvana
Hookah Newbie

alcohol is more volatile that water, there should be some alcohol vapor in the base that would definately get sucked up with the smoke. and it would be absorbed by ur lungs the same, probably more so, than ur stomach. so u should get a little bit of a buzz from the alcohol as well as the nicotine. also, whoever said it shot up, thats probably because it is lighter than water and so it would get lifted a little more by the bubbles
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
HookahCody
Hookah Newbie

Anyone ever tried Listerine in the base? Minty!!
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

Well, honestly, I would just.. drink it. I know, I know, it sounds crazy.

But you would get what you are looking for without getting alcohol in your lungs.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
PiNKL0VE
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to PiNKL0VE Send a message via Yahoo to PiNKL0VE

Quote:
now why would you go waste all that good vodka trying to get a buzz while smoking it when you can get buzzed from drinking it?!
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:55 AM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiNKL0VE View Post
now why would you go waste all that good vodka trying to get a buzz while smoking it when you can get buzzed from drinking it?!

Just something different to do I guess. Drinking it would be to easy
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook