Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Alcohol in the base?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Codeman

Default Re: Alcohol in the base?

From time to time I add a bit of peppermint schnapps - gives it that cooling sense and the mint flavor even without mint shisha. I've done the vodka thing too, and it seems to give a slight additional buzz for the first little bit, but it fades quickly. Try the peppermint schnapps though - it's great added flavor.

EDIT: - it doesn't take much - I put probably 2-3 shots worth into the base, but it depends on how much mint you want.
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to zephyr39

I don't really drink and I see why it would be good to try different flavors though, i usually stick with non alcoholic beverages for flavor but to each his own right?
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Coldgr33ntea
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr39 View Post
I don't really drink and I see why it would be good to try different flavors though, i usually stick with non alcoholic beverages for flavor but to each his own right?
yea, water or tea is the way to go.
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM
xephyd
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookahCody View Post
Anyone ever tried Listerine in the base? Minty!!
frothy bubbley up your hose and stem much? not to mention all the other chemicals that are in listerine..if yer looking for mint in the base, just buy some mint extract. cheap and 4-5 drops goes a LONG way...and all you need is sink water

i DID however try peach schnapps [no water] with JM peach shisha..slightly more peachy taste which was nice, but there was also this other weird flavoring, not alcohol, not shisha flavoring. like photolinger said, it was slightly harsh [not burned shisha] and something weird, but not quite a buzz....

considering the price of alcohol, i'd rather NOT leave it to live the rest of its sad life in a hookah base and i'd rather have it down the hatch. plus it could get sticky and annoying to clean..best stick with cold or iced water [and NEVER milk, yech def not worth the cleanup]

ps - watch out for bubbly and frothy juices...sigh @ 10+ minutes of cleaning time for a full scrubdown

Last edited by xephyd; March 19th, 2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

lol i have just smoked: tangiers melon blend with merlot in the base (yes i bought a cheap merlot for this purpose) its a great great flavor combo... 10 outa 10!
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:21 AM
jdeuel3868
Hookah Newbie

Ah time to get all biology nerd again...

I have done this and I had a breathalyzer to test the results. I smoked a bowl with like half vodka in the base. It was harsh but yes you get drunk (as far as buzz enhancer I guess getting drunk is one). Immediately after smoking you get the feeling you are drunk, the thing is it wears off very quickly. After hitting it for a little bit I had a BAC according to the breath test of about .06 and then later about .11 and felt pretty intoxicated. Here is the weird part though after not smoking for like 10 minutes I had a BAC of .00 this all makes sense if you know how your body metabolizes alcohol. To get intoxicated you must first saturate the enzyme responsible for breaking down ethanol. Ussually you drink and after a few drinks this occurs and you get wasty faced. When you inhale it though the alcohol goes directly into your blood and effects the brain before the enzyme has had time to break down much ethanol. So then after a few minutes of the ethanol swiming around in your blood and the enzyme acting on it you have no alcohol in your system anymore. Tada! your sober again. So sorry this was lengthy hope it helped somewhat.
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Codeman

Good summary, and good info on the breathalyzer testing. Just to clarify for others, the blood absorbs things, like alcohol, through the lungs MUCH faster than through the stomach, therefor it enters the bloodstream much faster. Since it hits so much faster, it doesn't take nearly the volume as if you drink it. That also explains why it wears off so quickly vs. consumed alcohol - you keep absorbing the consumed alcohol for quite a while after you drink it.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeuel3868 View Post

I have done this and I had a breathalyzer to test the results. I smoked a bowl with like half vodka in the base. It was harsh but yes you get drunk (as far as buzz enhancer I guess getting drunk is one). Immediately after smoking you get the feeling you are drunk, the thing is it wears off very quickly. After hitting it for a little bit I had a BAC according to the breath test of about .06 and then later about .11 and felt pretty intoxicated. Here is the weird part though after not smoking for like 10 minutes I had a BAC of .00 this all makes sense if you know how your body metabolizes alcohol. To get intoxicated you must first saturate the enzyme responsible for breaking down ethanol. Ussually you drink and after a few drinks this occurs and you get wasty faced. When you inhale it though the alcohol goes directly into your blood and effects the brain before the enzyme has had time to break down much ethanol. So then after a few minutes of the ethanol swiming around in your blood and the enzyme acting on it you have no alcohol in your system anymore. Tada! your sober again. So sorry this was lengthy hope it helped somewhat.
sounds like a weekend science experiment
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

So, can we lay th earguement to rest after our friendly neighborhood scientist actually tested this now?

p.s. I did this again this weekend but with Malibu Passionfruit Rum (which smelled exactly like what SB Passion Kiss) and some Sb Passion Kiss. Lol. It was pretty good. I was already good and drunk before we started smokign so i didnt notice it much. Flaming Dr. Peppers mess your world UP!
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
jdeuel3868
Hookah Newbie

yeah the only reason to add booze is for flavor reasons, if youre trying to get drunk just drink the stuff.

Glad to know you all think im a scientist lol... 4 years of bio classes does this to a man.
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
stolenbythesky
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeuel3868 View Post

Chemistry/physics nerd here. Boiling point of pure ethanol is 173F, at one atmosphere of pressure. Since ethanol is (obviously) fully miscible in water, you would probably see greater results with a higher proof (lower in water content) liquid. Water boils at a much higher temperature in 0%H (at 1atm.) air, and has a higher vapor pressure than alcohol does. The suggestion of everclear is probably the best and safest idea. The drunk, as stated, is not really drunk, it's a statistic drunk. You will not feel as if you should be blowing a .11 BAC, because your blood simply is not .11% alcohol. If you're really going for gold with this, render pure ethyl alcohol by boiling a bottle of vodka in a *** at 173F.

If you want to get drunk from hookah. You can put down the coals and molasses, cover your bowl with saran wrap, fill the base to your desired level with alcohol, and drop a few pieces of dry ice in it. Frozen CO2 is cold enough to bond with H20(water), and C2H60 (ethanol), as it vaporizes, resulting in a very smoky in appearance carbon hydroxide vapor. It will blow itself out of your hoses, you barely need to inhale. If you can manage to get some air in your lungs with it, you'll feel quite drunk for a few minutes.
Old March 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
jdeuel3868
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenbythesky View Post
Chemistry/physics nerd here. Boiling point of pure ethanol is 173F, at one atmosphere of pressure. Since ethanol is (obviously) fully miscible in water, you would probably see greater results with a higher proof (lower in water content) liquid. Water boils at a much higher temperature in 0%H (at 1atm.) air, and has a higher vapor pressure than alcohol does. The suggestion of everclear is probably the best and safest idea. The drunk, as stated, is not really drunk, it's a statistic drunk. You will not feel as if you should be blowing a .11 BAC, because your blood simply is not .11% alcohol. If you're really going for gold with this, render pure ethyl alcohol by boiling a bottle of vodka in a *** at 173F.

If you want to get drunk from hookah. You can put down the coals and molasses, cover your bowl with saran wrap, fill the base to your desired level with alcohol, and drop a few pieces of dry ice in it. Frozen CO2 is cold enough to bond with H20(water), and C2H60 (ethanol), as it vaporizes, resulting in a very smoky in appearance carbon hydroxide vapor. It will blow itself out of your hoses, you barely need to inhale. If you can manage to get some air in your lungs with it, you'll feel quite drunk for a few minutes.
interesting dry ice idea
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Quote:

yeah but wouldn't the dry ice hurt your lungs?
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
stolenbythesky
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
yeah but wouldn't the dry ice hurt your lungs?
If the alcohol is room temperature (~73F), the vapor you're breathing (with 2 1"x1"x1" blocks of dry ice), comes out at about 26F. Feels like breathing winter air, and gives you a head rush like no other.
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:54 PM
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
If the alcohol is room temperature (~73F), the vapor you're breathing (with 2 1"x1"x1" blocks of dry ice), comes out at about 26F. Feels like breathing winter air, and gives you a head rush like no other.
I was just curious because when we handled dry ice in school and messed with making "fog" with it there were all these warnings about keeping it in a well-vintilated area, thats pure carbon dioxide going into your lungs. Of course it wouldn't be any worse than smoking I suppose, idk?
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
stolenbythesky
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
I was just curious because when we handled dry ice in school and messed with making "fog" with it there were all these warnings about keeping it in a well-vintilated area, thats pure carbon dioxide going into your lungs. Of course it wouldn't be any worse than smoking I suppose, idk?
It's not pure CO2, when it vaporizes in water and alcohol it picks up a very good deal of both, and frankly, it's chemical composition is pretty similar to smoke and air, minus, you know, the ethanol.
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Quote:
It's not pure CO2, when it vaporizes in water and alcohol it picks up a very good deal of both, and frankly, it's chemical composition is pretty similar to smoke and air, minus, you know, the ethanol.
Gotcha
I probably wouldn't try it with alcohol because i don't drink but there is potential there...hmmm.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook