Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Shisha Health Test

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

Post Shisha Health Test

I don't trust these studies but I am sure some of you might be intrested. I found this study in

http://www.mrwaterpijp.be/english/health.html

Shisha Health Test

The smoke was developed by using shisha with a large tobacco head.
This answers to a nicotine quantity of 2 medium strong cigarettes (e.g. Marlboro)
approximately 2 mg nicotine. For the rest still approximately 95% steam were measured.
This smoke is not possible to compare with cigarettes, cigars and other smoke Articles.
With shisha we don't talk about smoke, we talk about steam this is because of the humidity of tobacco. When tobacco is dry there is less smoke.
Because there is a large water content the smoke will bind with all kinds of "foreign molecules"
these cannot be measured with conventional methods.
For this reason we use an optical tool "a filter" to examine how many tar is produced with an shisha.

The picture shows the filters after smoking.
Left the filter of the water pipe with large tobacco head with apple tobacco and metal filter
Right the filter of the cigarette ultra i.e. a light cigarette (nicotine 0.1 mg, tar 1 mg).

The tests were carried out on several types of shisha and with several types of tobacco. These reproduction where not clear.
The numbers are in the pallet of the normal deviations.
The quantity water used had little influence for its disadvantageous character , however, the role of the separation between tobacco and coal was important.
The next list shows the tar level (the metal filter was approved as 100%)
metal filter
100%
aluminium foil
134%
directly presenting of the coal
142%

The role of water and the column here is also again speculated concerning the role of water and the calculations:
The contents of the nicotine of 8g a "tobacco charge"
40.0 mg nicotine
the contents of with the passage column/the hose
2.20 mg nicotine
the contents of in water
3.50 mg nicotine

But where the rest of 34.3 mg is a question sign. In the column!?
The "filter impact" larger than water is the column. For this reason there is a brown sauce when cleaning the shisha. But even as important is changing the water regularly. It also shows that the water changes to green after 3 smoke sessions.
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
bradedup
Hookah Master

Default Re: Shisha Health Test

Interesting...
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

i know about these studies, but i also know, that they are not relevant.
unfortunately there is not a good study on smoking hookah yet.
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
photolinger
Arabian Sensation

Send a message via AIM to photolinger Send a message via MSN to photolinger Send a message via Yahoo to photolinger Send a message via Skype™ to photolinger

whenever i have these discussions i forget to even mention about the shit that gets stuck on the stem, thats a novel point

"blu mist rulz dawg an that stuff ain't like it an if youz don't agree you bez a shithead yo" - Hajo Flettner
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

I agree that it is not smoke because smoke is created by the combustion of something. When you "smoke" narghile it is not being combusted but cooked, so it cant be smoke.
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

I don't know about the validity of this study but I think there are many variables that should be taken into consideration such as coals, foil, glycerin,...etc.

I think some one should breakdown and analyze the components of the produced smoke instead of comparing it with cigarettes.
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
ZenSilk
Hookah Master

But obviously, smoking Cigarettes is the worse type of tobacco consumption by far.
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

as you can see when you smoke a cig all that is left is the ash everything else is in you, in hookah everything is still in the bowl it just changed color. i wouldnt say that you are consuming it really just the wet stuff?
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

hmmmm ... I like the way u think
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
QuakeHookah
Hookah Nut

haha awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ya
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

LOL
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

while i know hookah is not good for me this and other realistic studies seem to show me its not very bad.

cool study, i had wanted to see something like this for a while
-matt
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Let's say that this test is accurate, for conversations sake. I'm much happier knowing a session = 2 cigs as opposed to the 40 cigs a day I used to smoke.
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
Let's say that this test is accurate, for conversations sake. I'm much happier knowing a session = 2 cigs as opposed to the 40 cigs a day I used to smoke.
and thats only talking nicotine

-matt
Old March 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

I just read a local study here that is absolute CRAP ....

They used a machine to simulate the smoker's lungs (it would pull the smoke from the hookah and exhale it into some tank which gets analyzed later on)

They say that the water does nothing to purify the smoke because it is too hot, reaching 450 degrees C !!! and that a bowl = 80 cigs .... I dunno why they keep publishing this crap ..... Brought to you by (insert cigarette manufacturer name here) !!!

Does any dumb f**k of those who published the study realize that 450 C would melt your FACE? HELLO !!!!
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thunder
Hookah Enthusiast

450 degrees C !!!
Old March 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
iSmokeHookah
Hookah Newbie

LIke I said before, I can smoke a bowl of shisha and run a mile just fine. I smoke one cig. and I am doomed for three days......
Old March 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
PCServe
Hookah Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to PCServe Send a message via MSN to PCServe Send a message via Skype™ to PCServe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Egyptian View Post
I just read a local study here that is absolute CRAP ....

They used a machine to simulate the smoker's lungs (it would pull the smoke from the hookah and exhale it into some tank which gets analyzed later on)

They say that the water does nothing to purify the smoke because it is too hot, reaching 450 degrees C !!! and that a bowl = 80 cigs .... I dunno why they keep publishing this crap ..... Brought to you by (insert cigarette manufacturer name here) !!!

Does any dumb f**k of those who published the study realize that 450 C would melt your FACE? HELLO !!!!
yeah, i read probably the same study ... they said smoking 1 hookah is as harmful as smoking up to 100 cigarettes ...
so stupid ...
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:17 AM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCServe View Post
yeah, i read probably the same study ... they said smoking 1 hookah is as harmful as smoking up to 100 cigarettes ...
so stupid ...
At least they should come up with something plausible .... Like .. say the smoke is 90 degrees C before it hits the water .... I could believe that .... but 450 C? it would melt metal ..... Boiled water is 100 C and no one can dare to let boiled water touch their lips/tongue/mouth/throat ..... Propane gas ovens usually go up to 200 C and I myself can't stand the hot air coming out of them when u let them bake something for a few hours .... Now 450 C ? and inhaled deeply into the lungs? that would literally cook your respiratory tract and your entire mouth !!
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM
SishaSteve
Hookah Newbie

Here is a little article I found:

http://www.harmreductionjournal.com/content/5/1/19

First, before even considering such articles and reports, one must recognize socio-political bias. If the report is American/British/Canadian, then it is likely to be biased due to the influence of our tobacco companies on the global economy. Let us be realistic, Philip Morrison controls significant quantities of the tobacco industry and would rather our youth be hooked on his products than anything else. That being considered, this article was written by a neutral third party.

I prefer the common sense approach to things like alcohol/drugs/food.

Getting food in a restaurant is less healthy than getting food at home.
Smoking is less healthy than not smoking. tobacco is a drug and is indeed very similar to *********, in the sense that it is burned to release a toxin which causes an affect. No matter how you smoke it, it is obviously unhealthy.

Recognize that smoking is smoking, and is never a good thing... That being said, my hookah is a tasty treat once in a while.
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:59 AM
SishaSteve
Hookah Newbie

Well, realistically its clearly smoke, right? I mean you blow O's n shit, have a cloud coming out of your mouth... You must OBVIOUSLY see the smoke lol. I think what you are trying to say is that the inhalation of the hookah smoke, is less toxic than that of cigarette smoke.
It's still smoke nonetheless and you shouldn't cheat yourself by thinking it is not... think of your lungs as a filter, and smoke as a cloud of highly concentrated particulate matter that appears opaque against air. When this highly concentrated cloud of particulate matter is forced against your lungs, some of the particulate matter remains behind.
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SishaSteve View Post
Well, realistically its clearly smoke, right? I mean you blow O's n shit, have a cloud coming out of your mouth... You must OBVIOUSLY see the smoke lol. I think what you are trying to say is that the inhalation of the hookah smoke, is less toxic than that of cigarette smoke.
It's still smoke nonetheless and you shouldn't cheat yourself by thinking it is not... think of your lungs as a filter, and smoke as a cloud of highly concentrated particulate matter that appears opaque against air. When this highly concentrated cloud of particulate matter is forced against your lungs, some of the particulate matter remains behind.
well yes but you also have to remember that the "smoke" is really steam, and while it still has stuff in it that is probably not good for you its no where near as bad as true smoke

-matt
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:09 PM
necco
Hookah Pro

I'd like to see a study that examines someone from a culture that smokes nothing but shisha over a lifetime. Hell I'd love to see lung pictures of such a person like those disgusting pics they show of cig smoker's lungs.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook