Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Hookah stem gone after 11days?

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old October 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

Default Hookah stem gone after 11days?

OK, so I got my hookah in from Sahara Smoke 9/20, and today when I went to test out the Rosetta I got, I noticed the stem is rusted completely through. 11 days? What kind of crap is this?

Anyways, Sahara is being nice enough about it, I'll find out what they want to do tomorrow, but I'll be damned if they try to send me another one. It's a shame, too, the vase is drop dead gorgeous.

Ah well, now I have the Rosetta from J&R tempting me, and nothing to smoke it out of. I'll have to look into J&R's hookah stock tomorrow and pick me out another one.
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

Default Re: Hookah stem gone after 11days?

Unfortunately your not the only person I've heard their Sahara Smoke stem rusted out crazy fast.
Damn Pity. I love their glass, but I'm not buying a stem from them - ever. One day I may pop for the glass (which i consider crazy $$ in the first place, but apparently well worth it).
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM
Huskysibe
Hookah Master

That suck man. Definantly take look at the vendors whome frequent here, you will fnd some great products and customer service thats second to none. BTW, I am on my 2nd Rosetta flavor of the day.....Strawberry creme Mmmmmmmm Damn good stuff!!
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

j and r's 22's are priced to sell and have a damn good stem from the looks of it.
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

Yeah, the Sahara glass is top notch stuff. Thick, even, and damn gorgeous. But the stems... blech. To be honest, I'd LOVE to get another vase from them eventually.

Yeah, I'll probably go with an egyptian from J&R or maybe a Mammoon, trying to find one that's aesthetically appealing to me. My gut says a J&R syrian but my wallet is giving me a reality check lol
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
kingmaddog
Hookah Nut

Send a message via ICQ to kingmaddog Send a message via AIM to kingmaddog Send a message via MSN to kingmaddog Send a message via Yahoo to kingmaddog

That's gotta suck. I got a hookah from shara and I have no problems with the stem. I hope they fix it right.
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism
Yeah, the Sahara glass is top notch stuff. Thick, even, and damn gorgeous. But the stems... blech. To be honest, I'd LOVE to get another vase from them eventually.

Yeah, I'll probably go with an egyptian from J&R or maybe a Mammoon, trying to find one that's aesthetically appealing to me. My gut says a J&R syrian but my wallet is giving me a reality check lol
if things don't work out and you need a backup, you can't go wrong for 25 bucks for an egyptian. If might give you time to search around for a stainless replacement stem.
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:37 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

Well, the "local guy" by my work (a middle eastern restaurant that has 2 hookahs behind the counter) has a maya acrylic for $40, a small Fatutta for $20, and a large, I'd say 40" egyptian for $60. WORST case, I'd get the maya from him, he said he'd speak to his hookah supplier tomorrow and get me a medium egyptian for cost. *shrug* right now, I'm thinking go all out & get something that will last a lifetime.

Mammoons still have stem issues or was that a bad batch? They're not the best looking (in my opinion), but I can always replace the glass.
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:01 PM
TheAlmightyClaw
Hookah Newbie

I have a KM hooakah, and the stem is not to bad. Although I can't tell if its still brass after I washed it with lemon juice (since it is so shinny). It hits great too.
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:28 PM
nicayotte
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to nicayotte

personally i would pass up on that mya deal and go to hookah-life nad get there qt package with 750gs of layalina and a brand new qt, i did it and it is amazing!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM
hobohookah
Vendor

If you want something that will last a lifetime, get a $80+ MYA or KM. Those stems wont rust. I did see a post about the QT having exposed copper, and thats not cool. That will rust, even if the outside metal is shiny.

The HoboHookah stem is also built to last, because of the true 320 grade Stainless Steel stem. A lot of hookahs use other alloys or plated steel, which apparently can still rust (IE the MYA QT).

That really amazes me that they would plate the exterior, but not the interior. Shisha, because of the glycerine, cant rust out metals pretty quickly. Stainless steel (or fully plated nickle or chrome steel) is the way to go. High end MYAs have it, KMs have it and so does the Hobo. These will last.

I believe Pimp Your Hookah sells just stems, maybe buy one of those to go with the SS base. That could be a great smoking and looking piece!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
nofrendo
Hookah Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism
Well, the "local guy" by my work (a middle eastern restaurant that has 2 hookahs behind the counter) has a maya acrylic for $40, a small Fatutta for $20, and a large, I'd say 40" egyptian for $60. WORST case, I'd get the maya from him, he said he'd speak to his hookah supplier tomorrow and get me a medium egyptian for cost. *shrug* right now, I'm thinking go all out & get something that will last a lifetime.

Mammoons still have stem issues or was that a bad batch? They're not the best looking (in my opinion), but I can always replace the glass.
Go with the mya acrylic. that is well worth it. i smoke mine DAILY, several times, and I bought it used. It is an amazing hookah.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

I think at this point, I'm either going to go with a Syrian (engineer or glyph single) or a higher end Mya. The Lebanese Cedar at HookahCompany is pretty much spot on with what I'm looking for, just can't justify spending THAT much.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
sammniamii
Hookah Guru

i have a 2-hose engineer - nice rig, very solid, but the auto-seal wasn't that great (FYI). Got it from Mahir, very good price.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

Samm, you don't have to worry about autoseals with a single hose, correct? Not sure how the whole thing works.

As for Sahara Smoke, they're trying to dick me over about a refund, because the hookah was used already. These guys are seriously on my shitlist right now.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

I think any of the hookahs mentioned would be good. It just depends on what exactly you are looking for...tall...small.....glass....acrylic....Egyptia n...Syrian...lol

-Mahir
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

lol Mahir, what can I say, I'm an over-analyzing bastard.

I might just order a high quality stem and match it to a random vase, might be the best way to get things exactly how I'd like. Like an Engineer/Glyph/Al Fakher stem with either this or this vase.

Pretty much looking for something between 2-3 feet tall total, glass, durable (to rust & physical damage), quality workmanship, and attractive. Not TOO picky, huh? lol
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
HookahETC
Banned

Send a message via AIM to HookahETC

If you're going to put $100.00 or so on a new Rig, Syrians are much better off than any MYA's in that price range.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Send a message via AIM to NazarHookah Send a message via MSN to NazarHookah Send a message via Yahoo to NazarHookah

agreed
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

LOL, well, just got off the phone with Sahara... They refunded me $20 to cover the stem, too bad the hookah was $45 lol. At least they got things done in the end.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
merkaba
Hookah Nut

now its time to go stem hunting
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
NazarHookah
Vendor

Thats pretty....haha funny

Did they want you to send the stem back? or no

-Mahir
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
entropism
Hookah Newbie

They told me to throw it out, I kept insisting they send me a return label to send the damn thing back for a full refund. And they kept INSISTING it wasnt rust, just "discolored metal". Of course, that discolored metal also magically discolors the water orange too...
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:27 AM
NazarHookah
Vendor

eh, I guess atleast they gave you something...not that it was the best option....but something
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Iíve looked around at the Sahara site and I think that what they have is a bit to trendy looking for my taste but Iíve never known anyone that ordered from them so I have not heard anything until know about how good their products are.

Off hand, it sounds like they are pushing junk although I am interested trying out the Black Label shisha.

I am pretty anti Mya as a result of numerous bad experiences but frankly, I canít see buying anything made in the PRC as I object to slavery and communism pretty strongly. While itís true that some Arabic made stuff is junk it is very easy to find well built Egyptian and Syrian that offer excellent value. Personally, Iíd recommend the El Ahsrey or KM brands as the best of what Egypt has to offer although the Syrians offered by Mahir and Jimmy are fantastic and the better value.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook