Home User CP Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
Get New posts Faq / Help? Community Menu

Go Back   Hookah Pro - Hookah Forum > Hookah Stuff > Hookah Discussion

Hookah Discussion General discussion related to hookah ...

Comming Ban on Flavoured Tobacco

Hookah Discussion

Reply Share

Old March 19th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Default Comming Ban on Flavoured Tobacco

It seems that a massive tax increase on tobacco is the least problem facing American smokers. It seems that a bill that has been kicking around in for while to ban the sale of flavoured tobacco in the U.S. is picking up steam. Apparently this bill has been kicking for a while and emboldened by the Obamanationís success in getting SCHIP taxes through Congress the prohibitionists have decided they have a good chance to outright ban flavoured tobacco all in the name of ďsaving the children from the evils of smokingĒ. The bill is entitled the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act.

Like I said before, the latest tax increases are not about funding health care for anyone. Instead itís the government forcing you to do as they want. So it looks like the fashionable leftist college kids that worked so hard to put the Obamanation in the driverís seat are in for more change they believe in along with everyone else.

Please call your congressman and senators to urge them to oppose this bill.

To find your congressional representative, visit http://www.house.gov/
and enter your zip code in the upper left hand side of the page. To
find your senator, visit http://www.senate.gov/ and find them via
the search function on the upper right hand side of the page.

The links below have some info on the matter.

http://7valleys.franbest.com/?p=25

http://reason.com/news/show/125885.html

http://spectator.org/archives/2007/1...ove-encounters

http://www.clove-cigarette-research-...nformation.com
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Default Re: Comming Ban on Flavoured Tobacco

That means, no SB? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU*K
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
MrBungle
AFNSBFLAVOUR

all the articles mention cigarettes, i see nothing about shisha, or even flavored pipe tobacco.

Old March 19th, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
all the articles mention cigarettes, i see nothing about shisha, or even flavored pipe tobacco.
Phewwwwwwwww .... That was close
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to zephyr39

that sucks...alot.
What is so funny is I thought Obama smoked? You would figure that he wouldn't be up to letting this happen.
Dakins
Hookah Pro

In b4 25 pages of anti-Obama rantings and sadface emoticons.

In all seriousness, we should have seen this coming. A total ban on tobacco products is indeed imminent, although I never thought I'd see it happen so soon.

I guess we're all gonna be smoking Saalaam and/or participating in the shisha black market very soon
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM
chrisicool
Hookah Pro

That is incredibly ridiculous! I'm quite appauled that something like this would even be considered. If it goes through it looks like I'll be producing my own shisha for myself and friends. There are so many flavored tobacco products, including dip and cigarillos. I can't forsee something like this happening. It's absurd.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:04 PM
hookahman1988
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hookahman1988

I think Congress needs to focus on things that are more important than this like Ohhhh maybe the economy. But no lets piss off a bunch of people who know the risks of their decision and ban something to help Big Tobacco under the scapegoat that it's "to protect the children". Smells like some B-S to me.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

honestly tobacco will never stay illegal if it is made illegal, it has been widely used for 100s of years and like alcohol to much of the population want it... and frankly take millions of angry tobacco users freaking out that are in withdrawals and the country will fall.

if for any reason it becomes illegal, i will just grow tobacco and make my own tobaccos

-matt
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hookahinthewomb
Hookah Newbie

I have the perfect plan to stop this. Everyone needs to take all their money out of banks causing a cataclismic depression. That way the congress will have no time to think about banning tobacco
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
zephyr39
Hookah Newbie

Send a message via AIM to zephyr39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookahinthewomb View Post
I have the perfect plan to stop this. Everyone needs to take all their money out of banks causing a cataclismic depression. That way the congress will have no time to think about banning tobacco
lol, yeah you would figure with the economic situation thats going on now that banning tobacco would be the last thing on their minds since its a commodity and buying tobacco stimulates the economy.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:22 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookahinthewomb View Post
honestly tobacco is low down on obamas list if there at all, like gun laws. he might have people in his admin that want it done sooner (like his AG that talked about the gun bans) but that is not his agenda because there are more important things now... and frankly it would be stupid to ban tobacco because that would hurt the economy

-matt
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

Well... after all the money that I spent in my lounge... if he did this... I swear to god that I would be on the news for starting a bigger protest than MLK. I know that it is unfair to compare that but I think we would all walk (and smoke) together on the streets on DC until they all died from 2nd hand or they over turned some major bullshit. Hell we should go protest... nicely... light our cigars, cigarettes, briar pipes, and hookahs on the steps of the capitol building!
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
Well... after all the money that I spent in my lounge... if he did this... I swear to god that I would be on the news for starting a bigger protest than MLK. I know that it is unfair to compare that but I think we would all walk (and smoke) together on the streets on DC until they all died from 2nd hand or they over turned some major bullshit. Hell we should go protest... nicely... light our cigars, cigarettes, briar pipes, and hookahs on the steps of the capitol building!
honestly i doubt obama would push much if any anti tobacco legislation, especially that he used to/still does smoke

-matt
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
KillerB
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KillerB Send a message via MSN to KillerB

i like how everybody here just went ahead and ignored the post saying that it didnt mention anything about pipe tobaccos and such.

I personally dont see this ever happening as it would ban everything BUT cigarettes.
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The Egyptian
Hookah Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
honestly i doubt obama would push much if any anti tobacco legislation, especially that he used to/still does smoke

-matt
I do not think he smokes hookah though
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM
wonderland
Hookah Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post

-matt
i know... its just the fact of thinking that it could possibly happen...

it would be dumb to ban tobacco... as it was dumb to ban alcohol back in the day...

hrmm... speakeasy smoking place lol...

but i do agree with you... i doubt things would happen anyway.. but the thought ehhh "shudders"
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
mattathayde
Hookah Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
i know... its just the fact of thinking that it could possibly happen...

it would be dumb to ban tobacco... as it was dumb to ban alcohol back in the day...

hrmm... speakeasy smoking place lol...

but i do agree with you... i doubt things would happen anyway.. but the thought ehhh "shudders"
the thought of guns being taken away is also not something that would make you happy but its one of those things that can be taken away from my cold dead hands along with tobacco, my jeep and a few other things

-matt
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Dakins
Hookah Pro

Hey wonderland, you should invite Obama to your lounge, perhaps it would change things in our favor!
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
likespaceships
Hookah Nut

I thought this ban was for flavored cigarettes. I know they took those camel blends or whatever off the market. I don't think it was for hookah tobacco.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
jdeuel3868
Hookah Newbie

If an outright ban on shisha were to occur it would be lobbied against heavily by the tobacco growers. This would shut down 100's of businesses in the U.S. and possibly even more outside the U.S. that sell our products. It would be a pretty dumb move like prohibition. Taxing the hell out of things is more up the gov'ts alley. So I'm not afraid, just always expect things like smokes and booze to go up in price time to time.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Dunkel
Bad Motherf^&*er!

Quote:
It doesn't have to mention anything other than cigarettes. Just like the law they wanted to pass to ban 50 caliber guns (like the Barrett). For those who don't know much about guns and see the media crap where they show guys blasting through old car bodies from a mile away, it sounds like a good idea to them. Those scary 50 caliber weapons, no normal person needs one of those! The truth is if that bill was passed they would also take away 50 caliber and bigger black powder/muzzleloaders. These weapons are used by millions of hunters and do not have a range of a mile or more, but due the the size of the projectile they would be lumped in the same category. What I'm saying is a law that doesn't spell out exactly what is targeted, is open for interpretation. I for one do not want the government to interpret anything. They are ham handed, short sighted bastards, at best.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
You should read the actual text of the bill because if you do you'll note that it calls for a ban on flavoured tobacco rather then any specific flavoured tobacco product. Basically the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act inspired by the notion that flavoured tobacco is designed to get kids to smoke so we need to ban it. While the proponents of the bill specifically complain about flavoured & cloved cigaretttes it should be obvious that that if flavoured tobacco is banned then this hobby of ours will cease to exist in the U.S.

It's an extremely bad idea to assume that a man on flavoured tobacco won't effect narghile users.
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Murkmastur
Hookah Nut

Send a message via MSN to Murkmastur Send a message via Yahoo to Murkmastur

Quote:

Phew!...I don't mind a flavored cigarette or cigarillo every once in a while, but if they go away, no loss here..I couldn't live without shisha or pipe tobacco though. People are a bit hypocritical for saying the tobacco industry is responsible for kids showing an interest in cigarettes, when health classes teach kids all the time NOT to go near them. Reverse psychology says that doing that pretty much says "go ahead" to those who are truly curious, right?
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Hajo Flettner
Hookah Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkel View Post
It doesn't have to mention anything other than cigarettes. Just like the law they wanted to pass to ban 50 caliber guns (like the Barrett). For those who don't know much about guns and see the media crap where they show guys blasting through old car bodies from a mile away, it sounds like a good idea to them. Those scary 50 caliber weapons, no normal person needs one of those! The truth is if that bill was passed they would also take away 50 caliber and bigger black powder/muzzleloaders. These weapons are used by millions of hunters and do not have a range of a mile or more, but due the the size of the projectile they would be lumped in the same category. What I'm saying is a law that doesn't spell out exactly what is targeted, is open for interpretation. I for one do not want the government to interpret anything. They are ham handed, short sighted bastards, at best.
I will note that not a single crime as ever been committed with a .50 caliber round and such an occurance is very unlikely for reasons obvious to anyone that has thought about it for a minute or and is honest.

The truth is that the bill it self calls for a ban on the sale and and production of flavoured tobacco. If anyone thinks that federal regulatory agency will decide to say something like "well i'm sure the congress/Obama wouldn't want to stop hookah smokers from having fun" I have some valuable lunar real estate that's going fast so you'd better give me your down payment!

A lot you guys seem to think that anti-tobacco policies won't effect you but only people that like cigarettes or cigars. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The tobacco prohibition lobby would prefer to ban tobacco out right but baring that there are for ever greater taxes, regulations and restrictions which is almost the same a ban. If you haven't noticed this yet you need wake up and pay attention.

Some people think bans and prohibitive taxes can't happen because lots of people like tobacco. The reality is that most people don't smoke and a large minority believes you shouldn't be allowed to. The media and Congress hate the tobacco industry and the reality is that they simply don't have the clout to do much about what is happening. Besides, most smokers are pretty apathetic so they sit back and take what ever oppression comes along without complaint.
Reply Share
Share with your friends on facebook